Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I got my claim for assistance denied by Ford. I was at 2 years old, 44,000 miles. Guess I'll be pestering them more until they actually cover the repair.
Sponsored

S550IngotGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 6 Speed 3.55s Red Leather
1. If it does fail then I'll have someone tearing into my brand new car to repair it, and with my luck it'll never be put back the same way.
I am worried about some hack at the local Ford service department doing a sloppy job removing and reinstalling my dash "when" mine fails also. I've already talked to my local mechanic who I trust will remove and reinstall my dash such that I would never know it was removed. He will charge me $550 to replace the evaporator coil in my car. I will be having my mechanic do the job even if it fails during the warranty period because I don't let just anyone work on my cars. I've been burned too many times by poor mechanic's work.

For me, paying $550 to know the dash was installed properly is money well spent. It is your car and you have choices. It is possible Ford may retroactively pay for any repair costs due to this a/c issue several years down the road. If so, I will get my $550 back and still have the peace of mind the dash was installed right.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
After seeing this thread I'm nervous about this failure for two reasons.

1. If it does fail then I'll have someone tearing into my brand new car to repair it, and with my luck it'll never be put back the same way.

2. Most likely it'll fail out of warranty because I only put maybe 2500 miles a year on it and my warranty end Feb 8, 2019.

The prices I've seen to replace this are all round $2000.. So for shits and giggles I checked Fords website about buying the extended warranty and the only one that covers A/C 100% is the Premium Plan of course. I entered my info and my price for that coverage is $1595 until 2024 w/$100 deductible based on the mileage I put on it per year.

Has anyone had bad experience with the extended warranty...
FYI, there are just as many rattles in my dash as there were before they replaced the evaporator. I don't know if that is praise on my dealer for not making it worse or condemnation of Ford for allowing the rattles to come from the factory.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
I am worried about some hack at the local Ford service department doing a sloppy job removing and reinstalling my dash "when" mine fails also. I've already talked to my local mechanic who I trust will remove and reinstall my dash such that I would never know it was removed. He will charge me $550 to replace the evaporator coil in my car. I will be having my mechanic do the job even if it fails during the warranty period because I don't let just anyone work on my cars. I've been burned too many times by poor mechanic's work.

For me, paying $550 to know the dash was installed properly is money well spent. It is your car and you have choices. It is possible Ford may retroactively pay for any repair costs due to this a/c issue several years down the road. If so, I will get my $550 back and still have the peace of mind the dash was installed right.
its your money spend it how you like but when my car was done there were zero rattles or anything loose. im also in florida where im sure they are replacing these things weekly down here

S550IngotGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 6 Speed 3.55s Red Leather
its your money spend it how you like but when my car was done there were zero rattles or anything loose. im also in florida where im sure they are replacing these things weekly down here
I called 4 dealerships in Pittsburgh and nobody has done any here that I can find. In fact, the service departments here are not even aware of this a/c problem.

I don't want my car to be the guinea pig they practice dash removal on. My mechanic removes 2 dashes a week due to collision repair at his shop and he is the only one who does the dash removal.

Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called 4 dealerships in Pittsburgh and nobody has done any here that I can find. In fact, the service departments here are not even aware of this a/c problem.

I don't want my car to be the guinea pig they practice dash removal on. My mechanic removes 2 dashes a week due to collision repair at his shop and he is the only one who does the dash removal.
im sure the amount of failures up north is nothing like down here. sounds like your mech is the best bet for your situation

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
After seeing this thread I'm nervous about this failure for two reasons.

2. Most likely it'll fail out of warranty because I only put maybe 2500 miles a year on it and my warranty end Feb 8, 2019.

The prices I've seen to replace this are all round $2000.. So for shits and giggles I checked Fords website about buying the extended warranty and the only one that covers A/C 100% is the Premium Plan of course. I entered my info and my price for that coverage is $1595 until 2024 w/$100 deductible based on the mileage I put on it per year.

Has anyone had bad experience with the extended warranty...

Isn't the base care enough to cover for the majority of failures were having?

Air Conditioning & Heating*
  • A/C clutch
  • A/C clutch bearings
  • A/C compressor
  • A/C compressor head
  • A/C compressor seals
  • A/C compressor/clutch switch
  • Condenser
  • Evaporator
  • Field coil
  • Pulley

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
My Evaporator just went out and is on back order, Oct/2014 engine with 17k miles. This is the second time my AC stopped blowing cold air. The first time the original dealer recharged the AC and said there was a small leak off the condenser. When I picked up the car I talked to the service tech about the bad evaporator problems and he said the diagnostics came back as a bad door actuator but they found a leak so the replaced a hose and recharged the AC. I gave the service guy an ear full and won't be going back to that dealership.

I took it to a different dealership this time and they are replacing the evaporator. I have 7 months left on the 3-36 warranty.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
Super lame man. Probably going into the first round of this crap soon...
Quoting myself here for an update. Got the car back after couple of days. Evap core bad and replaced with the (Y) version lol. Car still looks and sounds like factory, no noise etc.

VirginiaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard V6 051 Auto
Isn't the base care enough to cover for the majority of failures were having?

Air Conditioning & Heating*
  • A/C clutch
  • A/C clutch bearings
  • A/C compressor
  • A/C compressor head
  • A/C compressor seals
  • A/C compressor/clutch switch
  • Condenser
  • Evaporator
  • Field coil
  • Pulley
Yes, this is the plan level I purchased from Flood Ford.
Already used it to get a new compressor 3 months ago for just $50 deduct.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
The part numbers are:
FR3Z-19850-U Ecoboost Base (non dual zone A/C)
FR3Z-19850-V Ecoboost Premium (dual zone A/C)
FR3Z-19850-W GT Base & V6 (non dual zone A/C)
FR3Z-19850-Y GT Premium & V6 (dual zone A/C)

Refer to the above, W or Y designation is for base vs premium.
Has there been anyone on the forum who has had the above evap cores fail? I've had two evap cores fail, but both were previous versions.

I'm not confident my current core (19850-V mentioned above and confirmed on the paperwork) will finally work, but I haven't seen a post here claiming a failure yet of any of these newest parts.

Has anyone run into this yet?

Thanks,
Ground Speed

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Has there been anyone on the forum who has had the above evap cores fail? I've had two evap cores fail, but both were previous versions.

I'm not confident my current core (19850-V mentioned above and confirmed on the paperwork) will finally work, but I haven't seen a post here claiming a failure yet of any of these newest parts.

Has anyone run into this yet?

Thanks,
Ground Speed
I'm guessing it is probably too early to tell. I think the current revision started getting into repaired vehicles in late summer/early fall. If some do fail, it will probably be over the summer when everywhere gets hot again.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
My AC is surging on full speed now but the compressor is staying on...hmm

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I'm guessing it is probably too early to tell. I think the current revision started getting into repaired vehicles in late summer/early fall. If some do fail, it will probably be over the summer when everywhere gets hot again.
This is what I am thinking too. I have the "current" evap core for my model, but when I run A/C with the defroster or in the afternoon I can smell refrigerant again, and I'm guessing that by May or June it will be time to get a fourth core.

Also my dashboard is finally rattling after being removed and put back twice so far.

I'm hoping as more peoples' cores fail, that we learn if this newest version is working. I'm also hoping they get a non-leaky core engineered and rolled out before my extended warranty expires (glad I bought it - it's always paid for itself with the tires.)

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys like me living in the hot states will find out soon enough, mine was done last September and only time will tell.. Does anyone know the reason for the failure? Is it just a bad design?
Sponsored