Sponsored

New to this level of HP.. 18 GT

Skacs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
As has been stated time behind the wheel and better tires will help out a lot. When I first got my GT, had the stock 235/55R18 Pirelli A/S tires and they had trouble putting down the power, especially in colder temps. Switched the wheels/tires out for some 285/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's on the rear and it was a night and day difference. Grip everywhere! Even in colder wet temps they just hook up.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Can confirm - have the 255's with the black accent package and these tires are garbage in the cold and/or wet. They start to hydroplane much earlier than the Conti DWS 06's all seasons I had on my 2008 e60 5 series. Once summer rolls around and I have finished thrashing the Pirellis (planning on trying out the line lock several times before switching to new Conti's) I will be swapping to the Conti all seasons. Even on my BMW I was very impressed with those tires and am happy to hear other s550 owners are pleased with their performance on this platform.

My recommendation - if you live in an area where its not 100% snowy or cold year round, stick it out with the stock Pirellis as long as you can, thrash on them (enjoy their tendency to break loose) then replace with a better tire. I have 10k miles on my factory Pirellis right now and the tread is holding up ok, will replace them prematurely in the Spring.

To be quite honest - I think that they are acceptable for street use if the temp is above 50 degrees and its not wet :) Just a matter of what your tolerance is I suppose.
Thanks for the reply.

I live in SC, so the temps are above 50 most of the time for sure.

My biggest worry based on your review would be wet weather conditions as this will be my DD and I cannot avoid the rain. Don't want to end up in a ditch in a convertible for sure! :)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Sponsored

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
Start off slow and take your time getting used to the car. As your confidence builds you will feel better in the car and understand its limitations. As others have stated the environment will play a big part as well, temperature and road conditions.

We just picked up our GT this past weekend but compared to the Z06 it is a tame ride.

It is good that you are self-aware enough to know to be careful. There are too many people out there who do not seem to understand this and wind up hitting something.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Don't be stupid and you will be fine. Don't smash the gas going out of a Cars and Coffee at a stoplight turning unless you want to be embarrassed on YouTube and the news.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
How would you end up in a ditch?
Previous person (kh1818) made note that the Pirelli A/S tires suck in the wet...I assume this means hydroplaning issues...thus sliding in a ditch might be an outcome.

Ditches and convertibles I would assume don't go well together due to potential roll over issues.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
As others said, more time with the car and better/wider tires. Easing into the throttle will work much better than just mashing it down.

I'm 700+whp, 285 width winter tires on the rear and I can still go WOT regularly. :D

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I don't have any problems with my 255 stock pirelli P zero. I have 19800 miles and they still grip. Still get a lot of wheel hop as well. But I don't see cold weather like most you guys. This week it's suppose to be in the upper 20s in the morning( cold for us in Ca) so ill pay attention.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I don't have any problems with my 255 stock pirelli P zero. I have 19800 miles and they still grip. Still get a lot of wheel hop as well. But I don't see cold weather like most you guys. This week it's suppose to be in the upper 20s in the morning( cold for us in Ca) so ill pay attention.
My experience driving on the Pirelli A/S's for a month in single digit to low teen temps.

[ame]

I

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Any parking lots off the beaten path?

For car control I learned to slide my car around, to see what it felt like. This was especially useful when it was wet/snowy/icy in the parking lot. This way I could do, and recover from, crazy slides while at LOW speed.

This was enhanced at an OEM test facility that required training/passing a session with an instructor in order to drive the development cars on the track. They had a smooth concrete surface that they sprinkled water onto and the car you were driving had shaved tires. It was exactly like driving on ice. 29mph grip, 30mph sliding lol. Pretty good session.

For this second item: I didn't realize at the time but racing my 600 in organized circuit racing 'conditioned' me for acceleration, power and speed.
I have yet to get in a 4-wheeler that approaches my old CBR600F3 for acceleration rush and high speed travel (thank you Road America), and the ZX-9R I also had was quicker and faster still.
Sponsored