Sponsored

Another post about trading in my 2015 GT for a 2018 GT. That or supercharge?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I'll try to keep it short, I tend to ramble.

Have a 2015 base GT. I love it, but the A10 and 3.9 and quarter mile are stupid appealing. I don't track it often, and more do spirited runs or "redlight racing" so the launch control and a10 seem to be a better fit to me than just a supercharger.

I have h pipe, roush AB, and aftermarket wheels that I could take off and weld the original parts on (exhaust) and tires/wheels if I sell? But can anyone estimate how much a canadian dealer would be offering for that? 24000kms only. I assume they'd try to sell it for like 27k or so and would pay around 20k? But blackbook says it's worth around 27/28k I believe? But selling privately is a huge hassle and the tax thing you get when you trade it also a plus?

I could supercharge it instead, but aside from upgrading, I get another 3 years of warranty, and QUAD TIPS.

Or would supercharging be a much better bang for buck?
Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Just supercharge it unless you have money to blow . My 17 has a 6mt and it sucked so when it got totaled I went to a 18 gt a10 it does hail ass stock lol but a 15/17 and a blower will be just as fun

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Supercharging is +200 horsepower (on the low end) for what $8k (on the high end)? 2018 is +25 for a lot more than that. Seems like bang for the buck is clear.

If you're jumping to another base car, I wouldn't do it. If you're going for a dream car loaded up with everything you want, go for it and keep it longer this time.

I say hold out until the proper new model ("2022" for now) and skip going through this until then.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Just supercharge it unless you have money to blow . My 17 has a 6mt and it sucked so when it got totaled I went to a 18 gt a10 it does hail ass stock lol but a 15/17 and a blower will be just as fun
If our dollar ever gets better it'll be much more appealing. Shipping, warranty, usd --> cdn, install, upgrading other parts. Looking at at least 10-13k I imagine. Ugh.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I think if you have a well built '15 that doesn't have any annoying habits....keep it especially since you truly like it. At the current prices, the '18s may just as well may be a shiny turd that will depreciate just as fast.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Supercharge it and keep the money. There is nothing that jumps off the page from the 15-17 models to the 18 unless you really want the A10 badly. The A10 is killer with the new motor changes but not at the price.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you want the sickest gains in power you will actually feel, supercharge it.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Op, get a supercharger(as I plan to do myself)..Too early to put it all on the new platform..When enough miles rack up on the '18s then the turd will be known..direct injection in the long term has its problems like filthy valves and clogged fuel systems. Just look at all the recurring post about the new 5.0 and the transmissions..concerns and uncertainties with lots more to follow I'd say.

Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm excited about the a10 too, but is this really a discussion? Do you want 200 extra horsepower or 25 horsepower and 4 extra gears? I can understand the warranty appeal, but from a purely performance based standpoint and assuming all else is equal option wise, come on.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Op, get a supercharger(as I plan to do myself)..Too early to put it all on the new platform..When enough miles rack up on the '18s then the turd will be known..direct injection in the long term has its problems like filthy valves and clogged fuel systems. Just look at all the recurring post about the new 5.0 and the transmissions..concerns and uncertainties with lots more to follow I'd say.
Just so you don't give false information. The 18 has BOTH port and direct injection. Ford was smart enough to do this so the engine will not have the problems DI only engines have with carbon build up. The port injectors keep everything clean and the DI injectors allow the extra compression/power/mileage. The A10 is amazing and has far more praise then concerns. If the OP wants power to be the priority then it makes sense to put a supercharger on the 15, if the A10 and other extras hold enough appeal then get the 18. No regrets here on my switch, the updates were well worth it for me, my purposes, and happy with NA power levels for now.....

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Just so you don't give false information. The 18 has BOTH port and direct injection. Ford was smart enough to do this so the engine will not have the problems DI only engines have with carbon build up. The port injectors keep everything clean and the DI injectors allow the extra compression/power/mileage. The A10 is amazing and has far more praise then concerns. If the OP wants power to be the priority then it makes sense to put a supercharger on the 15, if the A10 and other extras hold enough appeal then get the 18. No regrets here on my switch, the updates were well worth it for me, my purposes, and happy with NA power levels for now.....
Nothing false about direct injection engines and fuel system complications. The combustion chamber injectors will have to be addressed in due time. This is gonna be interesting to see at what point that happens.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
DI only systems do have some known carbon build up issues, but you made it sound like that is what is in the 18 which is false. You did not mention in any way the fact that the 18 Mustang GT is both port and DI, eliminating those issues. I guess I need to read more on the clogging problems associated with DI fuel systems, I have only experienced the carbon build up issues (with out port injection to keep the valves clean) in my 25yrs of owning an auto repair shop and working on Japanese imports and American vehicles. Check out Jalopnik's video on DI, it explains all of this very well (and does not mention fuel system clogging BTW). Using good oil and a catch can (which most of us do) will help as well as induction cleaning every 30k miles (just good maintenance). Seriously, I'm not trying to be jerk. I'm just trying to limit incomplete or wrong info being spread and I welcome education on matters I am not familiar with. People can't make an informed decision on what is right for them with out accurate info.
Sponsored