Sponsored

B&O Play Premium Audio

Mooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 Fusion / Mustang GT Premium on order
Hey all. I know there has been some discussion inside a few of the ‘19 threads, but I felt like this deserved its own topic. The Mustang as far as I can remember always had the Premium audio option of a “Shaker” system. Some years were better than others. I didn’t think the Shaker 1000 System’s in the s197’s were too bad. But for 2019 as we all know they have switched to the “B&O PLAY” system. Bang and Olufsen is a very reputable name in the audio world and it gets me excited that this might be a good sounding system. I ordered this option on my ‘19 order and am excited for it. Now that the ‘19s are arriving has anybody here heard the Premium audio that can comment?
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I haven't seen any reviews yet myself. I'm waiting to see if it can be retrofitted (if it's good).

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The B&O systems in other Fords sound good, but nothing earth shattering. If you're an audiofile, prepare to be disappointed. I expect it to be better than the shaker, but not by much. These will still be budget components with speakers in the same locations.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I’ll let you know tomorrow when I pick up my 19.

The B&O systems in other Fords sound good, but nothing earth shattering. If you're an audiofile, prepare to be disappointed. I expect it to be better than the shaker, but not by much. These will still be budget components with speakers in the same locations.
The other B&O Systems are running much less wattage than the Mustang Play system. The Mustang’s is 1000watts.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
I’ll let you know tomorrow when I pick up my 19.

The other B&O Systems are running much less wattage than the Mustang Play system. The Mustang’s is 1000watts.
And supposedly designed/tuned specifically for the Mustang’s interior.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Think this sums it up well.

You can check out the F150forums.com to see reviews as this was the first vehicle to get it already.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I personally thought the Shaker Pro in my 2016 was pretty good. The B&O Play in my Bullitt is definitely better. I'm not an audiophile, but the best way I can describe it is that the audio sounds more "detailed" if that makes sense. It felt like there was more distinction between instruments, vocals were clearer. The whole experience made the Shaker Pro seem a bit "muddy" by comparison. Also the bass definitely seems to be stronger and cleaner. Hope this helps.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think this sums it up well.

You can check out the F150forums.com to see reviews as this was the first vehicle to get it already.
Except it doesn’t sum it up since it’s a different configuration and is only 700-750 watts in the F150 compared to the Mustang’s 1000 watt system. :p

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Except it doesn’t sum it up since it’s a different configuration and is only 700-750 watts in the F150 compared to the Mustang’s 1000 watt system. :p
The extra wattage is from the extra speakers in the mustang. More wattage doesn't automatically mean higher fidelity. The sound quality is going to be very similar, as they will be using the same quality components with similar engineering. Most that hear the F150 B&O like it, but the audiofiles still recommend an aftermarket system, as the fidelity is not near that of higher end B&O systems.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The extra wattage is from the extra speakers in the mustang. More wattage doesn't automatically mean higher fidelity. The sound quality is going to be very similar, as they will be using the same quality components with similar engineering. Most that hear the F150 B&O like it, but the audiofiles still recommend an aftermarket system, as the fidelity is not near that of higher end B&O systems.
Are you sure about that in regards to the two extra speakers making up for over 250 watts? I thought they had different channels/amps.
If it is indeed two 125 watt speakers... then, yea, that’s potentially going to make quite the difference pending their placement.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, that's generally my take with OEM car audio (outside of more exotic options in a few vehicles). Our new DD R/T has the highest option audio for '18, and in '19 they're offering a "better" system, but for an SUV, where we're listening very casually to old school hip hop or some 90s alt rock, it's more than adequate.

If I want to do some really intense listening, I do it at home, in a more controlled environment, with much better sources and gear that really makes a difference.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does the SYNC3 screen look any different for audio or B&O settings?
Sponsored