2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
mine is without tune too. started at 1200k miles just after 1st oil change
Sponsored

GodsWarrior93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Im also stock with no tune and i have a tick. I can really hear it when im driving low speeds next to a wall or in a parking garage. Very annoying

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
Have the car being looked at now at Galpin. First time around they "couldn't reproduce", so I drove the service adviser around with the windows down past some parked cars / walls so there was reflected sound, and he heard it plain as day. Also have a misfire code on cylinder 8, not sure if related. Will report back.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I've done hours and hours of reading on this tick and most people say it's a completely random tick that doesn't change with RPM. However, mine does and past 2k RPM you can hardly hear it because it's ticking so fast. Anyone have the same experience?
Like you I have scoured the internet in search of the silver bullet that fixes the barbecue tick. My conclusion. There are many different ticks. And numerous reasons for these ticks. Not every tick is the barbecue tick. I read success stories resolving the tick changing a lifter, egr valve, timing chain tensioners, AC pulley, even vanes in the intake manifold. I bought a mechanics stethoscope at Harbour Freight and located my tick using the process of elimination. Started with the valves, egr valve, intake manifold, and finally the front of the block at the timing chain. And BINGO! This is the source. I know a person that got a new short block and read about others who did too due to cylinder wall damage because of detonation issues. A very slack timing chain under load could cause timing to be off ever so slightly causing detonation malfunctions. Just thinking out loud. I plan on getting my car into the shop in the next couple weeks. I will let you guys know the results.

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just noticed the tick in mine today, Oil has 4300miles and engine is at 15k without tune.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Just noticed the tick in mine today, Oil has 4300miles and engine is at 15k without tune.
If you go to Harbor Freight and buy a mechanics stethoscope for under $5. Listen around the engine. I located mine at the timing chain. This will at least give you some direction.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
If it runs fine, no CEL and gas mileage is appropriate, then does it really matter? Unless it's so loud you can hear it over the radio and exhaust while driving...from what I've heard on the videos there are only a few that had such an abnormally loud noise you could possibly hear it over all the other noise sources.

Engines tick, they make sounds. Want something quieter and more refined? That's what brands like BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus are for. They offer the performance but with greater refinement. My 5.0 isn't exactly "quite", it has plenty of clankyness to it, but to me it's just par for the course and not really any different than my Ecoboost which was just as clanky if not more so.

This doesn't seem to be a Ford phenomenon. There's a ton of "Hemi Tick" videos and forum posts out there as well and even plenty of LS and LT ones for the Vett's and Camaros. Seems like 90% of them are benine while only a handful are actual legitimate mechanical problems, which are almost always accompanied by misfire codes and other CEL indicators because the engine is actually not running correctly.
German cars make all kinds of noises too until you hit base MSRPs over 70K. Lexus car are usually quiet but oh so boring!

But I've had the ticking now for a few days and it just sounds bad. Had I not been reading about it for a few months I'd have probably gone straight to the dealership in a panic. A car shouldn't sound like that until it's 20 years old and poorly maintained.

I don't like to call it a BBQ tick either. The gas stove and grill igniters make a very precise ticking sound. This sounds like something randomly slapping around under the hood.

This is nothing like the DI ticking everyone was complaining about 10 years ago, which never bothered me the slightest.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't like to call it a BBQ tick either. The gas stove and grill igniters make a very precise ticking sound. This sounds like something randomly slapping around under the hood.
Maybe more like a drunk monkey playing with a typewriter .:crazy:

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
Coming from this thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-mustang-gt-ticks.94661/page-5

Little update on my 2017 BBQ tick.
I exchanged the oil over the weekend with AMSOIL Signature 5w20 and AMS oil filter and the tick is still there.

Oil doesn't fix it. btw the "new" Coyotes in the 2018 model have the same issue.
Brought the car to the dealership today, they just called me and said it's caused by the aftermarket exhaust, the headers extracting and it's normal characteristics for the Coyote Engine. So I can pick up the car now and they won't fix anything. What are my options now? Did anybody ever get the tick fixed or is it really normal for this engine but everybody is to proud to admit that the coyote ticks like broken?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from this thread https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2017-mustang-gt-ticks.94661/page-5

Brought the car to the dealership today, they just called me and said it's caused by the aftermarket exhaust, the headers extracting and it's normal characteristics for the Coyote Engine. So I can pick up the car now and they won't fix anything. What are my options now? Did anybody ever get the tick fixed or is it really normal for this engine but everybody is to proud to admit that the coyote ticks like broken?
My sons 15 has headers with aftermarket exhaust. No tick with his set up.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
My stock 18 and other modern cars typically make "ticking" noises when the warm and when they cool as the involved metals expand and contract. Hopefully that is the reason in our cases. Fingers crossed.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Mine sounds like it when next to a brick wall. What you guys think?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The
My stock 18 and other modern cars typically make "ticking" noises when the warm and when they cool as the involved metals expand and contract. Hopefully that is the reason in our cases. Fingers crossed.
The BBQ Tick isn't from hot parts cooling down.

p411mstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT
Same BS they gave me...OEM exhaust going on and then back to dealer