Sponsored

Broken Crankshafts? Really?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Never seen anything from an actual source other than “i heard” or “my buddy said”

unless pro5.0 really just doesn’t want to share his knowledge, don’t waste your time “researching”
Researching is never a waste of time read post #14 I'm not the only one that has read about it. I don't recall where I read the article and I'm not going to spend hours trying to find it just to please you.:eyebulge:
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Researching is never a waste of time read post #14 I'm not the only one that has read about it. I don't recall where I read the article and I'm not going to spend hours trying to find it just to please you.:eyebulge:
And that post uses the word “apparently”...not saying he’s lying, but what is the source?

This is in the 350 section...i’ve Seen the post of the coyote snapped crank...just never seen one on a voodoo.

I didn’t ask you to do anything for me

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Both the Voodoo & Coyote motor share the same 1.250 dia crank snout with a undercut radius to let the crank gear rest up against the step on the crank. Let's wait and see what happens when the GT 500 comes out I bet it won't have a FPC.

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
The future GT500 being CPC doesn't mean the voodoo cant handle boost. Yoy cant draw a conclusion based on another vehicle. Having the same crank as the coyote would reduce time and cost in the production process. Its easier to make money when parts are shared. The voodoo has unique crank, cams, and headers which all drive up cost. When it comes to automotive engineering, cost reduction is everything. Just look at the infamous Pinto.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If the Voodoo is no longer produced I'm sure they have plenty of FPC's lying around for use in the GT 500. In the end I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't own a GT 350 and I'm sure the GT 500 will be out of range for most people.

Sponsored

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
All modular motors have no fillet radius on the crank journals or the crank snout area...
Both the Voodoo & Coyote motor share the same 1.250 dia crank snout with a undercut radius....
:headbonk:

I mentioned the snout and its undercut fillet. In essence, it has little to no radius at all.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The snout was indeed a concern for 5.4/5.8 GT500 owners due to undercut fillets. I have little doubt the same issue could be replicated with a Coyote crank whether cross or flat by subjecting it to extreme stress. This is why fully filleted aftermarket cranks are a great choice when doing an all out build. Sadly, they are also ridiculously expensive.
You stated that FULLY FILLETED aftermarket cranks are a great choice, however they don't have a fillet radius on the crank snout only on the crank journals.:paddle:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You a maroon? As I alluded to, a custom crank (let that sink in) with fillets (yes, a full fillet) would be your best bet here. Expensive (as I said) as custom support hardware us needed as well.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You a maroon? As I alluded to, a custom crank (let that sink in) with fillets (yes, a full fillet) would be your best bet here. Expensive (as I said) as custom support hardware us needed as well.
A custom crank still isn't going to have a fillet radius on the snout area so it will crack just like a stock one would, don't know what I said that offended you however you should read the rules before calling people names.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is a maroon? Is that like a moron, but more red?
There's a certain cartoon rabbit that can answer your question. To minimize the apparent panty bunching, I'll refrain from naming him since it might bugs certain people.

pro 5.0 said:
A custom crank still isn't going to have a fillet radius on the snout area so it will crack just like a stock one would...
[Insert Trump "Wrong" soundbite]

For the third time, custom. This implies deviance from stock. There are no limits here as I also mentioned that cost would get ridiculous. And I mentioned that ancillary hardware would need to deviate from stock as well. Do I need to mention this a fourth time?

Callies, Bryant, Winberg, etc, will all do a custom grind to your spec. Material wise, the OEM C38 material isn't the best. A shift to a 4330V Timken steel is a great way to start. The hardening on the OEM cranks borders on paper thin and can be improved upon as well.

Just for you, "pro 5.0", here's a Winberg "clean sheet" modular crank. Among other changes, the snout OD has been increased which requires a custom (there's that word again) damper and timing gear. The car happens to be dry sump as the oil pump drive flat has been eliminated as well.

Would this work for most here? Probably not due to cost as has been stated a few times now. Does it eliminate the weak link as being discussed? Absolutely.

Have at it with the excuses, pro 5.0.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There's a certain cartoon rabbit that can answer your question. To minimize the apparent panty bunching, I'll refrain from naming him since it might bugs certain people.

[Insert Trump "Wrong" soundbite]

For the third time, custom. This implies deviance from stock. There are no limits here as I also mentioned that cost would get ridiculous. And I mentioned that ancillary hardware would need to deviate from stock as well. Do I need to mention this a fourth time?

Callies, Bryant, Winberg, etc, will all do a custom grind to your spec. Material wise, the OEM C38 material isn't the best. A shift to a 4330V Timken steel is a great way to start. The hardening on the OEM cranks borders on paper thin and can be improved upon as well.

Just for you, "pro 5.0", here's a Winberg "clean sheet" modular crank. Among other changes, the snout OD has been increased which requires a custom (there's that word again) damper and timing gear. The car happens to be dry sump as the oil pump drive flat has been eliminated as well.

Would this work for most here? Probably not due to cost as has been stated a few times now. Does it eliminate the weak link as being discussed? Absolutely.

Have at it with the excuses, pro 5.0.
Who gives a shit about a 4000.00 crank and another 5000.00 in parts to make it work, yeah I'm sure people are going to jump all over that.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pro 5.0 said:
Who gives a shit about a 4000.00 crank and another 5000.00 in parts to make it work, yeah I'm sure people are going to jump all over that.
...and there you have it, as expected. Son, if you're going to try to speak with authority and expect to garner any respect try doing a little homework first. That said, you're numbers are off.
Sponsored