Sponsored

My convertible leaks in heavy rain

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible Guard Manual
Guys (and Gals),

I have had my 2015 convertible for over 3 years and love it. The first 2+ years I had no problems. Last summer it started leaking when it rains heavily. The dealer has had it several times, adjusting seals, fixing a window, and a few times removing leaves that get into the drains. The dealer keeps telling me that leaves get into the drains and there is nothing they can do. The dealer contacted Ford and checked the seams Ford suggested they check. That was two weeks ago. Last night we had storms here in the DC area and this morning I had more water in the car, driver's side front and back.

Anyone else having a similar problem? If so, any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Are you absolutely certain that your windows are closing all the way? A common problem has been the rear quarter windows that do not lift completely into the roof gaskets. For the most part this is solved with liberal application of WD40 SILICONE spray in and onto the roof gaskets.
Another possibility is the ā€œauto-dropā€ function which lowers the front windows about 1/4ā€ when you open the doors and automatically raise the windows when you close the door. Perhaps the ā€œraiseā€ function stopped working OR those windows are not sealing due to aging gaskets which can be remedied with the spray silicone application.
Another possibility is that you have a leak in the roof fabric...the best clue for that would be a wet headliner.
Unless you park under trees there shouldnā€™t be that many leaves to clog the drainholes and youā€™d notice leaves in the gully below the windshield wipers. Sounds like your dealer may have cleaned those drain holes already?
Good luck!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Take a friend along to a self-service car wash that uses pressure spray...sit inside while your friend sprays all the areas in question and note any leaks.

OP
OP
VertGal

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tips. It doesn't leak going through a regular car wash, but I will try your tip at a self-service wash. The windows are not wet on the inside, it seems to be coming in closer to the floor. I do pay attention to the auto-drop and make sure the windows close completely.

Two weeks ago the dealer cleared the drains (at least said they did) but no leaves have fallen since then. I do live around trees and don't have garage parking. The dealer's advise is either to move or use a car cover. Seems to me that Ford needs to figure out a solution that does not involve having to cover and uncover a daily driver every day.

According to the dealer they have other convertibles with this problem. I probably have to try another dealer to see if someone else can diagnose the issue.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Is it possible that there is a leak in the front cowling under the black plastic.??

Test hosing water into the front area under the windshield and see if it leaks down behind your rug on to the floor?

Thanks for listening.

CVCAshmere

Sponsored

drummergelly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
I take mine through the Touchless Car Wash and I only get a leak in one spot on both sides, that's on the top corner of the windshield on each side. Just where the seam for the top and the windshield cowl is.

not sure if that helps, but it could be where the water comes in and the windows barely get wet.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Crap... I did not know we had drains to clean.

No leaks in mine except what drummergelly explained. I've had that since day one... only when I use a power hose at the local car wash does it leak (bucket wash there). Does not leak in the rain.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Have you checked the A-pillar exterior already with a flashlight?
On the outside of the A-pillar (left & right) there are 3 stickers from top to bottom where the door hinges are located. They use them to cover up 3 holes before going into paint.

It took us 3 months to figure out my leak came from a loose sticker flooding the A-pillar, then leaking from behind the hood lever. The water in the front or the back is all the same water, once it reaches the floor it gets everywhere.

Good luck!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I spent about an hour this morning cleaning and detailing my top including all the gaskets. You can see that the drainage system holes on the gaskets that run along the A-pillars are complex and ingenious. My car is only 16 months old but there was a fair amount of dirt and grime along and inside the gasket channels. I could imagine that after 3 years that buildup could be substantial enough to impede drainage. Also if any part of that gasket system is pinched or misaligned water could channel improperly and overflow into the interior.
After I was done we had a torrential downpour...after it passed I checked my interior -bone dry!

OP
OP
VertGal

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions. I dropped it off at the dealer Friday night so they could keep it inside since the forecast was for more rain in the DC area over the weekend (which happened). The dealer will take another look at it today and I will see what they say. Before I dropped it off I got a better look at where the leak is coming in. It is just behind the driver's side door, coming in through a seam in the rear that is several inches above the floor. If I did the attach picture correctly, this should show it.
Mustang Leak 1 6-1-18.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
VertGal

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why the picture came out sideways, but the red towel is on the floor to give you the right perspective.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Now that Iā€™ve seen the pic I would bet that the water is coming in along the gasket between the front and rear side windows. Either your rear window is not fully closing and/or the gasket and felt are worn and not fully sealing the gap.
Hope your dealer finally figures it out!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
VertGal, did they find and fix your leak? Lucky me -after several downpours this weekend no leaks in mine!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
This thread kinda scares me. I had a ā€˜75 MG Midget that I bought in 1989 with the original top and it never leaked in rain or driving in rain. Here I am am nearly 30 years later with all the advances in tops and seal material, not to mention engineering of the design and weā€™re getting leaks?! Maybe I should have bought a coupe? I havenā€™t even taken delivery and now I wonder how this is going to stand up to daily driving, including winter.

OP
OP
VertGal

VertGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DropTopBob, the dealer has cleaned more leaves and debris out of the drain holes and keeps saying that clogged drain lines are the problem. I have been out of town for 10 days or so, but so far it has not leaked again since then. My neighbors told me that it did rain heavily while I was away, so I hope that the issue is resolved for now. But the real problem is that leaves are going to fall on the car and some of them are going to get into the drains. The dealer has contacted Ford for a solution, but no response from Ford so far. I live in an area with a lot of trees and don't have garage parking at home so I expect this will be an issue again in the fall unless I buy a car cover and use it. I may have to do that in the fall. I haven't been home enough to do my own water tests, but I will do that as well.
Sponsored