Sponsored

Hellion turbo kit experiences ?

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium/Auto, Oxford/Redline
Had my Hellion kit on my car since fall of 2016. Fit perfectly, great customer service and car hauls ass. Also never had any issues with high inlet air temps (on road or track)and I'm in Florida. It's an outstanding kit and I'm glad I got it.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
you see alot of companies come and go. hellion is and will always be around to support after the sale, we have sold / installed lots of these kits, and fitment is always great

Ashtar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dudes that are daily driving with this kit, are you guys dealing with heat soak? I'm super interested in the turbo route, but worry about issues dealing with summer heat. My vehicle is primarily a daily driver, but I'd like to consider some AutoX as well. (I know I wouldnt be competitive with the class that would put me in)
I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I would like to hear other peoples input.
I currently live in Phoenix Az, and yesterday it got up to 114. This is what I observed with the car. The setup. 2015 GT PP1, with the Hellion twin 55mm top mount w/blankets system. Oil 5w-30 by Mobile 1. AIT's 110 to 119, Ambient temps, in the car 109 to 114. CHT reaching as high as 228, it stayed steady around 224/226
Looking to see If I can upgrade the radiator to help knock that down a bit.

5had0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP M6
Do you have a lower temp thermostat? Along with a tune to turn the fans on earlier? Might be all that’s needed if you don’t. Either way, your IATs look better than mine NA. CHT is about the same. If you already do, all things considered it’s still not bad.

Sponsored

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Perhaps a stupid question since most people that buy the Helion kit are drag racing, but if there is anyone out there that has a Helion boosted Mustang that does road courses, how does it hold up on track? How is the throttle response compared to N/A or supercharged? Is the massive torque hit down low hard to manage coming out of corners?

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Perhaps a stupid question since most people that buy the Helion kit are drag racing, but if there is anyone out there that has a Helion boosted Mustang that does road courses, how does it hold up on track? How is the throttle response compared to N/A or supercharged? Is the massive torque hit down low hard to manage coming out of corners?
It's not the Hellion kit, but a local guy here has a custom bottom mount twin turbo kit and he takes his car to COTA pretty regularly.

The time I met him, he was telling me that the power band can be a bit unpredictable, especially when compared to an NA car of course. I've seen a video of him exiting a turn and the car doing a complete 180 on him (he didn't hit the nearby wall luckily).

He said he'd prefer if the power band were more linear but it still seems like he has plenty of fun with his kit. He usually turns it down to around 600 whp while on the track, even though I've personally seen his car dyno ~1000.

Ashtar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a lower temp thermostat? Along with a tune to turn the fans on earlier? Might be all that’s needed if you don’t. Either way, your IATs look better than mine NA. CHT is about the same. If you already do, all things considered it’s still not bad.
Thanks for the suggestions. One of the issues that I'm running into is that the Tune has been locked down. Usually the tuner will leave somethings that you can change. But the people that did the tune have it really locked down. I can't even change the tire size... Well I can, it'll cost 250.00 every time I want something changed. Needless to say, I'll be getting another tune done to the car through someone that isn't so... d*#kish.
I've been also looking at adding a "Snow Performance" kit or something like it. https://www.snowperformance.net/ Not changing the tune per se. But helping with the IAT's and hoping that'll help with the CHT's. That way if the pump gives out, or something goes wrong with the water/methanol injection, the car wont detonate.
Today it's suppose to get up to 113 today. Let's see what the drive home is like tonight!

Ashtar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Today it's suppose to get up to 113 today. Let's see what the drive home is like tonight!
Without AC Ambient temp 113, IAT, 117, CHT 212. Driving @65 ish. This was done driving about 12 miles. Normal traffic, with no stop and go. Wtih AC on. Ambient temp 113, IAT, 117, CHT 232. Driving @65 ish. This was done in about 8 miles. The CHT temp hit 232, and I turned off the AC. The temps dropped back down to a Phx Az reasonable level. (I think). Sub 218's or lower.
Still looking for a way to get it lower. I'll look into changing out the thermostat. Not sure if I'm ready to take the hit to the wallet to change out the tunes just yet so I can turn on the fans at a lower temp. But it does look like I'll be going down that road anyway.

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
I installed my top mount hellion kit myself and i would have to say it was a wonderful expierence, the fitment is on point, Im running 8-10 psi on e85 with great results.

Sponsored

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I had a Hellion kit on my foxbody and it was awesome. I was in the same situation for my 17 GT debating Hellion kit or Whipple and I went with Whipple.

FlamesOfWater99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry 2008
car

My 2018 is my fifth Hellion car.....if you ever saw the kits from the other companies you would never consider anything other than the Hellion

everything fits...no cutting....everything labeled and they go very fast!!
2018 hellion kit.JPG
Nice review!
My goal is to get either a Mustang GT (or Challenger Scat Pack) and go with the Hellion Sleeper kit. I love the idea that you can adjust boost by a gauge inside your car. I think that's the advantage it has over a SC. Also, i like the engineering behind it is brilliant- taking energy that is otherwise wasted and turning it into boost. The only unanswered question i have is to whether or not go with the ball bearing set up- worth it or does it not really matter?

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
Nice review!
My goal is to get either a Mustang GT (or Challenger Scat Pack) and go with the Hellion Sleeper kit. I love the idea that you can adjust boost by a gauge inside your car. I think that's the advantage it has over a SC. Also, i like the engineering behind it is brilliant- taking energy that is otherwise wasted and turning it into boost. The only unanswered question i have is to whether or not go with the ball bearing set up- worth it or does it not really matter?
I am in the process of looking for a mustang too. From what i have been reading on here for the past 1.5 years, turbo is the way to go for horsepower and supercharger is less maintenance. I am gearing toward whipple even though I lived in the same city as Hellion. I can go to his place in less than 15 min driving. I think whipple is more simple then turbo. i would always want the car to be at the max power all the time when I am driving, so I don't have the need to turn down the boost even if I have turbo. English is my second language, so I don't know if I am making any sense here. what I trying to say is if the car have a 1000 hp want that at all time. I don't want to dial it down or dial up.

FlamesOfWater99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry 2008
I am in the process of looking for a mustang too. From what i have been reading on here for the past 1.5 years, turbo is the way to go for horsepower and supercharger is less maintenance. I am gearing toward whipple even though I lived in the same city as Hellion. I can go to his place in less than 15 min driving. I think whipple is more simple then turbo. i would always want the car to be at the max power all the time when I am driving, so I don't have the need to turn down the boost even if I have turbo. English is my second language, so I don't know if I am making any sense here. what I trying to say is if the car have a 1000 hp want that at all time. I don't want to dial it down or dial up.
I'm sort of limited here, in that I can't fully comment on something that I haven't directly experienced. Never had a Whipple or the Hellion, but i would imagine, you can't wrong with either one. I think it comes down to philosophy and your thoughts on engineering. If you like the idea of one, go with that.

Last edited:

Ashtar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sort of limited here, in that I can't fully comment on something that I haven't directly experienced. Never had a Whipple or the Hellion, but i would imagine, you can't wrong with either one. I think it comes down to philosophy and your thoughts on engineering. If you like the idea of one, go with that.
One of the things to remember is emissions. Where you live and what are the requirements. Is this going to be your daily driver or is it going to be something just used for the track.

Regards...
Sponsored