GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
A big ole suitcase resonator restricting your airflow. It's huge.

I agree that it is huge, but by no means is it restrictive. Aftermarket catbacks have been proven to do nothing but alter the overall sound. No performance gains whatsoever (at the NA level). By replacing the suitcase you will accomplish 2 things though. 1...change of sound. 2....a noticeable amount of heat will be removed from the center console area.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I think is 2 lbs. I'm only 165 lbs myself so not too big a concern, lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think is 2 lbs. I'm only 165 lbs myself so not too big a concern, lol.
Nah, the suitcase can drop something like 17lbs if you go to a resonator delete. It's worth it in sound and weight drop.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The h-pipe is going in about an hour from now. I'll try to get a before and after recording of the quiet mode performance.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Sub'd

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I just got back from having it installed at a really great shop. Wow, what a difference!

First impression is quiet mode is still quiet with a little bit deeper idle. Normal mode is a whole new beast. I think I'll have to set quiet start to 24 hour.

There are no unpleasant sounds or droning I have noticed in any mode but it can get quite obnoxious (in a fun way) when in normal mode on up with some heavy throttle application.

I got an interior clip of quiet mode before the install but I still need to get the after. The shop took some exterior sound clips but I'm not sure if those will be up anywhere.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Here are some photos.

The last one is a shot of the actuator for the exhaust valve with the muffler dropped.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I just got back from having it installed at a really great shop. Wow, what a difference!

First impression is quiet mode is still quiet with a little bit deeper idle. Normal mode is a whole new beast. I think I'll have to set quiet start to 24 hour.

There are no unpleasant sounds or droning I have noticed in any mode but it can get quite obnoxious (in a fun way) when in normal mode on up with some heavy throttle application.

I got an interior clip of quiet mode before the install but I still need to get the after. The shop took some exterior sound clips but I'm not sure if those will be up anywhere.
Very much appreciate the review & it was well put!

TJ

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
After driving around a bit more with the stock active exhaust I'm pleased with the results. The car is still quite in quiet mode. Even the other modes when cursing are drone free.

But the cold start in normal mode is a different story, lol. I did a remote start from inside my house and it made me jump! I think I'll be keeping quiet start on permanently.

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I've been debating this whole thing for a while. Had a 7am shift yesterday and used quiet mode for the 1st time for the whole ride and it was a nice feature to have. Few questions:

1) How does cold start in quiet mode sound like?
2) Do you feel like you now need to increase the volume of your music in order to hear it? So if you normally used it a 20 before H pipe, can you still use it at that level and hear it just as well? This would be with windows up.

I'm scared to do it, active exhaust sounds great but I wish it was more intimidating at times. If I can retain: quiet start (being able to start without waking everyone one up), quiet mode when needed and can still listen to music at the same level as before (this would mean there really is no difference in the cabin noise) I would definitely get it.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
1) How does cold start in quiet mode sound like?
Normal mode cold startup is like a bomb going off. So I keep it in quiet startup mode for the full day.

2) Do you feel like you now need to increase the volume of your music in order to hear it? So if you normally used it a 20 before H pipe, can you still use it at that level and hear it just as well? This would be with windows up.
I think removing the sound tube from the intake has a bigger impact on listening to music.

Under normal driving conditions things stay tame. Especially when in quiet mode. In all modes the note is deeper and under light/moderate acceleration it has a bit of purring sound. AC or music would hide this

When you get on the throttle things can get quite loud with the occasional snaps, pops and grumbles.

If there were tunes for the active exhaust I would want to modify it. I'd make it so normal mode stayed quiet for startup and open up at around 3,000+ RPM.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I drove in quiet mode to work today listening to music and had no issues at all.

I did sport for a bit too and while I could hear exhaust it still didn't make the radio hard to hear.

I think the sound tube delete has a bigger impact on being able to hear the audio system.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I drove in quiet mode to work today listening to music and had no issues at all.

I did sport for a bit too and while I could hear exhaust it still didn't make the radio hard to hear.

I think the sound tube delete has a bigger impact on being able to hear the audio system.
Perfect thank you!
Sponsored