Sponsored

cold mornings - all seasons vs. summer tires

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I know all the info is out there and this topic comes up but wondering about my situation. My car is supercharged, so naturally I want the best grip, so that has summer only tires written all over it, but....it's never warm in the mornings. I'll never drive my car in snow or frozen stuff, but will most likely buy all seasons for my OEM wheels during winter. During summer here in Reno the mornings are still fairly cool probably only two or maybe 1 month when the morning temps are above 50 with afternoons still in the 90-100s. I commute and cant help but drive it like it's supposed to be driven in the mornings as well as the afternoons. Last summer even with the factory all seasons it became readily obvious that there isn't a whole lot of traction during the mornings when the highs are in the low 50s. So I know summer high traction tires will only be worse than the all seasons in the mornings especially in May, June, Sept and Oct when the morning temps are really only in the 40s and even 30s. Just wondering if it makes me a contender to just be an all season tire guy all the time being that half my driving seems to be in the morning cooler temps and the other half is in the heat (afternoons).

I waited way to long to get my second mustang (been 30 years) so hoping someone has been there/done that and came to a conclusion that worked for them. I just don't want to buy the summer tires and love them in the afternoons and risk wiping out in the mornings. I don't know how much worse they would be than all seasons during the cool mornings.

I should say that I'm a pretty good driver and don't push it much at all through corners when its cool out even with the all seasons, but still like launching it in straight lines if its safe and all, trying to find the sweet spot before the tires break loose. Hope that helps describe my driving style (not that I'm always a jackass in traffic or anything I swear, lol) If I go with some summer only tires will I be forced to shift into 1st and do 5mph through turns if its below 50F? I'd appreciate hearing any of your experiences.
Sponsored

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Im not supercharged and nowhere near the power level, but, I just put the firestone firehawk tires on mine. Its still pretty much in storage, however, since the roads were clear after it rained heavily for about three days, I took it out for a while. 42 degrees, and those tires just hooked up with no drama. I will say that off the bat, until the tires get some heat in them, its noticeable that there is less traction. After a few miles it was more than manageable.

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
I use mine in fair weather year round with Conti DW's some mornings down into the high 20's with no problems. You just have to know you can't put power down with them below around 50 or take corners too fast.

I have noticed they have flat spots/stiff sidewalls when that cold but are not noticeable after driving between 100-200 yards.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Ive seen Michelin Super Sports do incredibly well in the low 30s on a friends car. Surprised me actually how good they were in temps that low. [MENTION=23692]cpelaez1[/MENTION]

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You're really trying to parse out tires by cooler in the AM and hot in the PM...how about you moderate the gas pedal and stop overthinking ridiculous things?

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
You're really trying to parse out tires by cooler in the AM and hot in the PM...how about you moderate the gas pedal and stop overthinking ridiculous things?
^^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^^ :clap2:

Stick to summer tires and take it easy in the AM. I'm running Continental Extreme Contact Sport and love them. Right now when I leave for work at 4am it's about 25-30* and I do not have any traction issues.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
OP, if you are still on the P zero neros with your SC, then that is a problem already. I have issues with them NA at 5000' elevation. You should have much wider and stickier tires out back for sure.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Yeah that looks good on paper but how about summer tires cracking? It is not just about the grip, but the cracking. :mad:

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys. Yep, I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. You know how the internet is, has me scared to buy summer only tires if I’m not going to be driving in summer temps. So how about the worst case scenario and driving on summer tires all year as long as it’s dry roads meaning down in the teens in the morning and anywhere from 30-50F in the afternoons. That’s probably just a dumb idea? And what about this summer tire cracking because of cold weather thing I keep seeing people talk about. Anyone ever see this first hand?

Thanks again for your input.

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I've had the Firehawks in the teens and have even been stuck on ice (snow storm on a mountain) and they performed admirably. Haven't seen any issues with them.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had the Firehawks in the teens and have even been stuck on ice (snow storm on a mountain) and they performed admirably. Haven't seen any issues with them.
Nice to hear, that is actually the tire I’m leaning towards. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
besides easing up on the gas pedal and corners, give yourself ample room to stop. I know the Pirelli summers on the PP were pretty bad but stopping in the cold temps on them was basically skidding on a plastic big wheel tire.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Thanks guys. Yep, I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. You know how the internet is, has me scared to buy summer only tires if I’m not going to be driving in summer temps. So how about the worst case scenario and driving on summer tires all year as long as it’s dry roads meaning down in the teens in the morning and anywhere from 30-50F in the afternoons. That’s probably just a dumb idea? And what about this summer tire cracking because of cold weather thing I keep seeing people talk about. Anyone ever see this first hand?

Thanks again for your input.
They only warn of cracking under 20F usually.
Sponsored