Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What did I miss where is everyone coming up the idea this thing is going to be that much of a porker?
I was thinking that it's all the Chevy guys can come up with. After all, better chassis, lower weight are the top two in their play books.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
After all, better chassis, lower weight are the top two in their play books.
Except when they found out the 2018 was faster than the SS, the mustang suddenly became the lighter car! :lol:

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
you will find one, maybe not one of the firsts but with patience no adm. The R model, if there is one, bets are off.
Got a long time to go.
Going to get the mac daddy (R/KR version) one way or the other. Not missing out on this one this time. The 2019 thing is the biggest bummer for me. Hopefully we will get some more clarity on this. I was hoping more for the middle end of 2018. But aint much I can do about it but wait the sucker out. Won't be the first time. Maybe we will get lucky and she will come quicker than we think. Either way I'm super excited and ready for Ford to take my money. Cant wait to see more of the car now.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I thought about this as a possibility as well. It’s inevitable that the mustang and cars in general must get lighter, much of which needs to come from finding ways to lighten the platform. And starting it with a halo version and progressing it forward to future mustangs could make some sense.
It seems to me that it would actually make a lot more sense than basing a halo on a platform that is about to be phased out.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I was thinking that it's all the Chevy guys can come up with. After all, better chassis, lower weight are the top two in their play books.
I believe it started when someone on this forum said his brother knows that the GT500 has a 5.76lbs/hp. So if it has over 700, that would put it over 4032lbs to start. His info so far has been pretty good. He also said the hp would be on the low side of 700.:cheers:

Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], any idea if they will be using more CFRP? It's hard to tell in the video, but if that front fender has folds like an i8 bummer has, maybe they are employing CFRP instead of aluminum to make that fender.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I believe it started when someone on this forum said his brother knows that the GT500 has a 5.76lbs/hp. So if it has over 700, that would put it over 4032lbs to start. His info so far has been pretty good. He also said the hp would be on the low side of 700.:cheers:
That's not what my second cousin told me.:D

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
LOL @ the cheer to close that post.

We will see what it is.

Even "low" 700's is pretty killer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], any idea if they will be using more CFRP? It's hard to tell in the video, but if that front fender has folds like an i8 bummer has, maybe they are employing CFRP instead of aluminum to make that fender.
I'm sure there will be some. I'd be shocked if the vented section of the hood wasn't (or even the whole hood). The wing is certainly.

Other items people forgetting about regarding weight reduction: rear seat delete, trunk trim delete, thinner glass and/or polycarbonate (rear) glass, lighter seats in general.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'm sure there will be some. I'd be shocked if the vented section of the hood wasn't (or even the whole hood). The wing is certainly.

Other items people forgetting about regarding weight reduction: rear seat delete, trunk trim delete, thinner glass and/or polycarbonate (rear) glass, lighter seats in general.
Only in an R version. I’m not convinced there will be one.

Awesome if there is! THAT version should be under 4, or right there.

Sponsored

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
Interesting. A 5.0 on 12lbs from a blower lands around 700 crank.. No doubt the GT500 is running much lower compression though. Still makes me feel like there's going to be a LOT of power left on the table. Pulley change and new tune will easily have it knocking on the door of 800.

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
Interesting. A 5.0 on 12lbs from a blower lands around 700 crank.. No doubt the GT500 is running much lower compression though. Still makes me feel like there's going to be a LOT of power left on the table. Pulley change and new tune will easily have it knocking on the door of 800.
I still think when it’s released it will be closer to 750 hp.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Headlights are definitely different than the 15-17, maybe same shape but the housing looks blacked out.
The headlight is pretty much carryover.

The GT500 is a GT350R on steroids, and has been done for some time. So think of it as more of a evolution, with a very different lower fascia design language.

I am not sure why it was so delayed, obviously the Bullitt reveal was probably 10x cooler and more impressive than people hoped with the other 68 fastback back in the lime lighr after all this time.

While many feel Ford is behind, I don't really aee that as much seeing how has the last GT500 is still very impressive.

Almost nothing to gain with carbon fenders. The aluminum ones are very light. You could save about 50% doing a carbon hood though.
Sponsored