Tool Recommendation: Torque Wrench and Sockets

Wetarded Goat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 - J0238
I had to expand my tool selection, specifically my torque wrench, with the Shelby purchase. After shopping around, I ended up grabbing a Husky 50-250 ft lbs 1/2" wrench, and on an impulse a set of Husky 1/2" protected sockets.

Torque Wrench: (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-250-ft-lbs-1-2-in-Drive-Torque-Wrench-H2DTWA/205914009)
Very heavy duty, solid and mechanical feel to the torque dial, and very overt "click" at set torque achievement. Comes with a decent container and lifetime warranty, at a solid price.

Sockets: (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...-Impact-Socket-Set-3-Piece-H2DIWPSS/206034080)
These things are the bee's knees. Kit includes 17, 19, and 21-mm sockets, all coated to help prevent wheel damage. The coating extends just past the end of the sockets, keeping the rim from making contact as well. They are impact rated, come with a decent container, have a lifetime warranty, and solid price.

I have no band-wagon when it comes to tools or stores to purchase said devices; simply want to help out fellow gear-heads looking for a product.
IMG_1.jpg
IMG_2.jpg
IMG_3.jpg
IMG_4.jpg
IMG_5.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have the same torque wrench, and have been very happy with it. This is actually my second 50-250 ft/lb Husky wrench. My first lasted for 15 years, then the ratchet mechanism started to go, and Home Depot replaced it with no questions asked. I also have one that goes from like 10-100 lb/ft or something. These are way better quality than what I've seen from Craftsman (my clicker-type Craftsman torque wrench broke after two uses, and Sears wouldn't warranty it).

Those sockets look awesome, too. I have the Gorilla locking lugs on my car, so it wouldn't help for me, but they'd be great for my wife's Mercedes!

JR

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I had to expand my tool selection, specifically my torque wrench, with the Shelby purchase. After shopping around, I ended up grabbing a Husky 50-250 ft lbs 1/2" wrench, and on an impulse a set of Husky 1/2" protected sockets.

Torque Wrench: (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-250-ft-lbs-1-2-in-Drive-Torque-Wrench-H2DTWA/205914009)
Very heavy duty, solid and mechanical feel to the torque dial, and very overt "click" at set torque achievement. Comes with a decent container and lifetime warranty, at a solid price.

Sockets: (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...-Impact-Socket-Set-3-Piece-H2DIWPSS/206034080)
These things are the bee's knees. Kit includes 17, 19, and 21-mm sockets, all coated to help prevent wheel damage. The coating extends just past the end of the sockets, keeping the rim from making contact as well. They are impact rated, come with a decent container, have a lifetime warranty, and solid price.

I have no band-wagon when it comes to tools or stores to purchase said devices; simply want to help out fellow gear-heads looking for a product.
Nice, I need to get a new set for the FL garage, will def look at these. Specifically for the oil filter canister, on recos here I bought the craftsman microtork 3/8" drive, 10 - 75 ft-lbs range

wltrmtty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Interesting thread. I've been a Craftsman man all my life, but just don't see them in the same light these days. So, I was just thinking the other day, what is the preferred average Joe tool? Snap-On and Mac are out of my price range.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I foresee this thread becoming 5 pages of people posting what torque wrench they have, followed by 5 pages arguing why you should use theirs, followed by 5 pages of ensuing personal attacks before the thread gets locked.

That being said, I used to think Snap-On and Mac were the things to have, until you realize that when it breaks there's no Snap-On truck coming to your house. I remember a shop I worked at in college had 3 mechanics. 2 were young guys in their 20's who liked showing off their Snap-On tools and how much money they spent on them. I asked the 3rd, the most senior guy, about his stuff. He said he'd give anything to have back the money he spent on boutique tools over the past 20 years, for Husky stuff he could just swap out at the local Home Depot whenever it broke...

Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have a Tekton torque wrench that feels higher quality than my old Craftsman that broken. :( It was also cheaper.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Never seen these lug nut sockets, i just been scratching my shit...thanks for the links!

Also [MENTION=29009]Demonic[/MENTION] i think the thread will also go this way...soooo Snap-on is the best!!! Lol

For real though, my dad has always used them, he’s retired now and 99% of that shit is going strong still. Whereas my cheapass has snapped harbor freight open ends in half(yeah i know HF sucks):cheers:

OP
OP
Wetarded Goat

Wetarded Goat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 - J0238
I foresee this thread becoming 5 pages of people posting what torque wrench they have, followed by 5 pages arguing why you should use theirs, followed by 5 pages of ensuing personal attacks before the thread gets locked.

That being said, I used to think Snap-On and Mac were the things to have, until you realize that when it breaks there's no Snap-On truck coming to your house. I remember a shop I worked at in college had 3 mechanics. 2 were young guys in their 20's who liked showing off their Snap-On tools and how much money they spent on them. I asked the 3rd, the most senior guy, about his stuff. He said he'd give anything to have back the money he spent on boutique tools over the past 20 years, for Husky stuff he could just swap out at the local Home Depot whenever it broke...
Thankfully this has been an amenable conversation -- hopefully it stays on the "what torque wrench they have" part hahaha. I have similar feelings to your referenced Sr guy using Husky. My tool mixture is Kobalt, Husky, and Harbor Freight -- having tools that built well for the cost with lifetime, no BS in store arguments, and 5-min swap-outs goes a long way. Love that Kobalt and Husky stamp/etch their product numbers directly on the tool in order to make the warranty easier.

Brown Line digital torque wrench with a Titan extra long lug nut socket. The extra long socket is perfect for those deep offsets on the front wheels of these cars. Not sure anymore what the OEM lug nut size is (ditched those long ago) so search out as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZHFA5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Line-BLD0212-Digital-Torque/dp/B0032A60W2
These look sweet -- love the color...mmmmm...shinny. The OEM Shelby lug nuts are 21-mm in case anyone wanted to know.

I have a Tekton torque wrench that feels higher quality than my old Craftsman that broken. :( It was also cheaper.
Yeah, I have heard from a few mechanics that Craftsman tools are becoming more hit-n-miss with quality.

Never seen these lug nut sockets, i just been scratching my shit...thanks for the links!

Also [MENTION=29009]Demonic[/MENTION] i think the thread will also go this way...soooo Snap-on is the best!!! Lol

For real though, my dad has always used them, he’s retired now and 99% of that shit is going strong still. Whereas my cheapass has snapped harbor freight open ends in half(yeah i know HF sucks):cheers:
Absolutely welcome! I didn't know these existed (never looked tho) until my detailer used his to remove the lugs during CQuartz application of the breaks and wheels. Before the Shelby, I had a tape wrapped socket for my aftermarket RTR wheels hahaha!

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I've got a mix of Craftsman, Husky, Stanley, Matco and Snap On. I think they're generally pretty equal in performance. The Snap On wrenches seem to get in tighter places the other wrenches can't get into but the Craftsman and Husky seem to go easier on the wallet.

I probably need a 3/4 digital torque wrench since my my analog is like 20 years old. But the old Matco has a long arm and still works good so it's kind of an expense I've been avoiding.

Best tool in my box for this or any car for that matter. Composite trim panel removal set. Love those things.

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have a Harbor Freight TQ wrench and a Digital Craftsman. The issue with the digital is that it only goes up to 100 lb ft. The Harbor Freight unit has held up well, but on hot / humid track days - it can definitely wear out.

Picking up an old Snap On Tq Wrench (200 ft lb) from my dad's collection for Christmas since he isn't using it anymore.

I also use some protective sockets for my Hellcat due to the clearance, but don't need them for the GT350 with the open / exposed lugs.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah, I have heard from a few mechanics that Craftsman tools are becoming more hit-n-miss with quality.
I would agree. On the contrary to my torque wrench, my ratcheting box wrenches are the hot shizznit. Very well put together.
Sponsored