Sponsored

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I went with Indore outdoor carpet. Easy to clean in any season. I'm barefoot most of the time

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
My research led me to the Garage Journal forum as well. Since I live in the snow belt, salt is a factor. Leaving the floor au natural is NOT an option unless you like pitted floors that look like shit after years of road salt.

The product I’m going with has a 10yr warranty against pitting and pealing and is non porous. My research led me to Polyurea/ Polyaspartic coatings. Check it out. It’s not cheap but I built my home to my specs and plan on retiring in it and want a garage that will be durable and look good.
I'm in the snow belt as well. Own two houses in northern Illinois, two garages at one and one at the other. One was built in 1978 and the other in 1991. All three have uncoated naked floors and none have any pitting from salt. I like my garage floors like my woman....naked. :D

Also, there's a little trick, don't pull the cars inside as soon as you get home. Leave em sit outside for a little while to drip and when you do pull em in, no puddles. I'm 66 years old and that's been my practice for years. I also don't pull my heat monster black Shelby inside the air conditioned garage right away either. I let it cool down outside for a time before pulling it inside.

Nowadays with all the focus on environmental bullcrap, all the municipalities in our area are cutting way down on salt usage in lieu of these newfangled sprays of beet juice and god knows what else. I don't care what kind of garage floor you have, that stuff is black, nasty and stinks like vinegar. If you pull in right away with a coating of that junk under your car, you'll have a mess in the morning. Only puddles I ever have in the garage is when I spill a beer.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I'm in the snow belt as well. Own two houses in northern Illinois, two garages at one and one at the other. One was built in 1978 and the other in 1991. All three have uncoated naked floors and none have any pitting from salt. I like my garage floors like my woman....naked. :D

Also, there's a little trick, don't pull the cars inside as soon as you get home. Leave em sit outside for a little while to drip and when you do pull em in, no puddles. I'm 66 years old and that's been my practice for years. I also don't pull my heat monster black Shelby inside the air conditioned garage right away either. I let it cool down outside for a time before pulling it inside.

Nowadays with all the focus on environmental bullcrap, all the municipalities in our area are cutting way down on salt usage in lieu of these newfangled sprays of beet juice and god knows what else. I don't care what kind of garage floor you have, that stuff is black, nasty and stinks like vinegar. If you pull in right away with a coating of that junk under your car, you'll have a mess in the morning. Only puddles I ever have in the garage is when I spill a beer.
Honey, do you mind not pulling into the garage in the middle of a blizzard and take the 2yr old and new born out through the side entrance door?

LOL. Yeah, that will work.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Honey, do you mind not pulling into the garage in the middle of a blizzard and take the 2yr old and new born out through the side entrance door?

I was just quoted $6500 to epoxy the 1600 SQFT of garage space i have (attached and detached). The Mrs. is OK with it and looking forward to it...now if i told her to not park in there during the winter until her car drips off I might end up sleeping out there with the cars!!!!!

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS

Not telling anyone else how to handle their life. Just posted what I do that works for me.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I was just quoted $6500 to epoxy the 1600 SQFT of garage space i have (attached and detached). The Mrs. is OK with it and looking forward to it...now if i told her to not park in there during the winter until her car drips off I might end up sleeping out there with the cars!!!!!
Lol... yeah my wife would die laughing and tell me to change places with the mutt.

$6500?... dayum. Does your floor need diamond prep? What epoxy are y’all using?... Diamond-reinforced?

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Lol... yeah my wife would die laughing and tell me to change places with the mutt.

$6500?... dayum. Does your floor need diamond prep? What epoxy are y’all using?... Diamond-reinforced?
I have a 3 car attached and 27*32 detached so it's a lot of space. It works out to 4 dollars per square foot plus they will do the epoxy up the stem walls. I don't believe it's diamond reinforced. It will have flake and an aggregate to make it no slip. Then they put a clear coat over the top of everything.

kskpsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R HR222, Audi RS3, BMW 1M, Boxster Spyder
Do some sort of tile, Drum. You’ll hate your life for a few weeks and curse my existence, but hey, you’ll soon forget. BTW, I run separate wheel/tire combos for winter and have jacked up my cars many of times directly on the tile itself...low profile jack for my cars and a clunky beast of a craftsman for the X5.
0FEF5D5A-EDE2-41DA-8C37-1364EE32D231.jpeg
D5659DD6-76F5-4068-B0A2-382F7996386A.jpeg
AF672DE1-0D70-4B5E-ADC1-EA614357F73F.jpeg
B4BFB97C-7636-43B3-BF6A-D17FAC9C8A5C.jpeg

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

Im gonna second that Dayum, do yourself a favor and get a few quotes.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I thought the same thing when I saw his quote, but don't overlook how much area that is. $4 a sq/ft is not bad.

kskpsu...your garage is gorgeous. How is that floor for doing stuff on it?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I thought the same thing when I saw his quote, but don't overlook how much area that is. $4 a sq/ft is not bad.

kskpsu...your garage is gorgeous. How is that floor for doing stuff on it?
Yes its a big area but still always better to get mult quotes. Maybe the floor need a lot of prep or something, that will raise the price.

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes its a big area but still always better to get mult quotes. Maybe the floor need a lot of prep or something, that will raise the price.
Not much floor prep. For a good quality epoxy coat 4 bucks per square foot is a good price. I could get multipe quotes, and typically do, but I've seen their work at comercial buildings that I've been to and a friend of mine used them. So word of mouth goes a long way for me.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Do some sort of tile, Drum. You’ll hate your life for a few weeks and curse my existence, but hey, you’ll soon forget. BTW, I run separate wheel/tire combos for winter and have jacked up my cars many of times directly on the tile itself...low profile jack for my cars and a clunky beast of a craftsman for the X5.
That looks fantastic! I'm about to buy a 'forever' home, and I've been back and forth about different garage floor solutions. We're moving back to Charleston, SC in a few months, so there are various issues that I'll need to deal with, namely, humidity. I'm worried that any moisture in the garage will end up condensing on the floor and causing it to be slippery. It doesn't look like your tile has a glaze on it (so probably porous and non-slip).

Did you seal the grout and/or tile? What product did you use, if so? Did you use a mortar with any modifiers for flexibility and weather expansion? How does the tile do with fluids and staining? What kind of prep did you do to the floor - acid etch? How about the joint - did you fill that with mortar and allow to dry before applying mortar to the floor itself and tiling?

JR

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Not much floor prep. For a good quality epoxy coat 4 bucks per square foot is a good price. I could get multipe quotes, and typically do, but I've seen their work at comercial buildings that I've been to and a friend of mine used them. So word of mouth goes a long way for me.
Nohr-S is an awesome agent. But, to be honest, ANY epoxy or pokyurea agent is only as good as the prep.

Do yourself a favor and prep well.

Epoxies can be thin and lift with warm tires as well as discolor. Stay away from Lowe’s and Home Depot epoxy kits!

Polyureas lay on thick, bond strong and are significantly resistant to acids, traffic and the sun.

ALWAYS CHECK THE VOCs IN THE PRODUCT YOU REVIEW!
Sponsored