Sponsored

UPR Vs. Mishimoto Catch Can? Any other options?

OP
OP

Irate Swami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Eco
^my thoughts exactly.

Exactly why I was initially all about the UPR until I weighed the pros and cons and decided to save myself a little cash
Sponsored

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
OK, I've read through this entire thread and if I understand the EB's PCV system, the Mishimoto CC, and the UPR CC correctly, I believe that there might be some misconceptions on how they work. This is the way I understand it;

The EB's PCV system has 2 vacuum sources; a stronger one (1) that operates only when not under boost that goes from the PCV valve to the intake manifold, and a weaker one (2) that is really only active under boost that goes from the valve cover to the air intake tube.

Mishimoto tested catch cans on both sources and found that the can on (2) collected virtually nothing from the crankcase. So they decided, rightly I believe, to save EB owners money by offering a single CC option for (1) which did catch a lot of crankcase crap.

UPR's dual valve CC kit adds a 3rd vacuum source (3) that is active under boost and is, quite probably, stronger than (2) because its vacuum source is right at the turbo inlet where the air velocity is at its fastest. It's quite possible that (3) will collect more crankcase nastiness than (2), but no testing that I know of has been done to determine this. It's also possible that, even if collects more, the amount could still be negligible.

There, did I get it right. :)

BTW, I bought the UPR CC because I'm anal, because based on the design of both cans, it has to be at least as good as the Mishimoto, and is possibly, but not provably better.
Just a quick Update on the Ecoboost PCV System.....

With extensive testing and warmer climates like summertime everywhere or all the time in the south we are seeing a lot of warranty claims for Turbo seals leaking. Most people are not realizing that the oil is coming from the clean side of the crankcase vent tube with the electronic pressure sensor. The one that comes off the rear passenger side of the valve cover.

The clean side of the PCV system is pushing oil back down the clean side pipe directly into the Turbo and this is what the majority of the Ecoboost vehicle owners are seeing. We have so much time in development and testing with the ecoboost platform we are seeing this on all the trucks as well. The new system caught over 1oz. in 28 days of short trips to and from work.

UPR is developing of a stand-alone system for this side of the PCV system as the EPS is very sensitive and will trip the CEL - Check Engine Light with ease if you upset the pressure / flow outside the parameters of the sensor. I have been testing our new systems and it took some time to be able to adjust the airflow and volume to be in range with the EPS.

Anyone that pulls the passenger side clean side tube of will clearly see the oil that travels through it and dumps directly in the turbo inlet. The UPR systems are designed to control the oil and not let it pass through like all the other cans on the market. It's not about what's in the can, it's about stopping it there without any pull through.

I will have more testing and pictures of the new CSCC - Clean Side Catch Can and it will be a simple addition that anyone can install in 15-20 minutes. All the Ecoboost engines have the same issue with oil ingestion.

Just to shed a bit of light on the subject.

Joe

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Just a quick Update on the Ecoboost PCV System.....

With extensive testing and warmer climates like summertime everywhere or all the time in the south we are seeing a lot of warranty claims for Turbo seals leaking. Most people are not realizing that the oil is coming from the clean side of the crankcase vent tube with the electronic pressure sensor. The one that comes off the rear passenger side of the valve cover.

The clean side of the PCV system is pushing oil back down the clean side pipe directly into the Turbo and this is what the majority of the Ecoboost vehicle owners are seeing. We have so much time in development and testing with the ecoboost platform we are seeing this on all the trucks as well. The new system caught over 1oz. in 28 days of short trips to and from work.

UPR is developing of a stand-alone system for this side of the PCV system as the EPS is very sensitive and will trip the CEL - Check Engine Light with ease if you upset the pressure / flow outside the parameters of the sensor. I have been testing our new systems and it took some time to be able to adjust the airflow and volume to be in range with the EPS.

Anyone that pulls the passenger side clean side tube of will clearly see the oil that travels through it and dumps directly in the turbo inlet. The UPR systems are designed to control the oil and not let it pass through like all the other cans on the market. It's not about what's in the can, it's about stopping it there without any pull through.

I will have more testing and pictures of the new CSCC - Clean Side Catch Can and it will be a simple addition that anyone can install in 15-20 minutes. All the Ecoboost engines have the same issue with oil ingestion.

Just to shed a bit of light on the subject.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Is the clean side catch can needed with the dual valve set up I've already installed?

Thanks!

Jim

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The CSCC clean side catch can is currently delivering good results at eliminating oil from the passenger side clean side line. The vehicle is producing enough boost to push back out the clean side under WOT conditions and has been the culprit of a ton of vehicles experiencing smoke out of the tailpipes.

I have been testing them on all the vehicles because of the level of Blow-by they produce the system is now becoming a necessary component. I am currently waiting on the new line and sensors so we can offer a plug n play kit like we do for the 2015 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboost engines.

The oil consumption through the clean line is a lot more than expected and it would never show any real vapor or mist in cold weather. So now that hotter times and the summer is here is when all the people are noticing this.

I have already seen and heard of ford replacing seals on the turbos because they are not familiar with this either. The real sign is when ford replaces the turbo and the oil start smoking through the tail pipes a day later lets you know the turbo was fine after all.

Joe

Sponsored

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
The new system [Clean Side Catch Can] caught over 1oz. in 28 days of short trips to and from work.
Joe, what about the additional vacuum source of the dual-valve UPR CC? Do you know if it produces enough vacuum to catch the clean-side oil and keep it from getting to the turbo?

GTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi Joe,

Is the clean side catch can needed with the dual valve set up I've already installed?

Thanks!

Jim
Hello Jim, did you get an answer on the above question? Would like to know too, thanks!

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Joe, what about the additional vacuum source of the dual-valve UPR CC? Do you know if it produces enough vacuum to catch the clean-side oil and keep it from getting to the turbo?
After all the testing we are doing we have developed a brand new clean side catch can system for the 2.3 Mustang Ecoboost as we started to push the performance we saw that driving style and any type of racing or hard driving will push oil out the Passenger - Clean Side and dump into the intake of the Turbo.

With that being said if you drive your car like an old lady then you will never need the Clean Side Catch Can and get by with a ( Properly Designed ) Catch Can on the Dirty Side. Either way the progress we are making and all the new parts and upgrades we are working on will be a huge hit for everyone.

Our car is currently running low 12"s with mid 1.60' 60 Foot times with a few simple Bolt-Ons and
tuning by LUND as UPR is Officially a LUND distributor and all our tunes are proprietary for UPR. These are the exact tunes we will be offering our customers as soon as our first batch of nGAUGE tuners hit the shelf.

Side note: we are working on a few custom fittings that will greatly improve the PCV system and oil control that can be added to any catch can system once they are ready.

Joe

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
After all the testing we are doing we have developed a brand new clean side catch can system for the 2.3 Mustang Ecoboost as we started to push the performance we saw that driving style and any type of racing or hard driving will push oil out the Passenger - Clean Side and dump into the intake of the Turbo.

With that being said if you drive your car like an old lady then you will never need the Clean Side Catch Can and get by with a ( Properly Designed ) Catch Can on the Dirty Side. Either way the progress we are making and all the new parts and upgrades we are working on will be a huge hit for everyone.

Our car is currently running low 12"s with mid 1.60' 60 Foot times with a few simple Bolt-Ons and
tuning by LUND as UPR is Officially a LUND distributor and all our tunes are proprietary for UPR. These are the exact tunes we will be offering our customers as soon as our first batch of nGAUGE tuners hit the shelf.

Side note: we are working on a few custom fittings that will greatly improve the PCV system and oil control that can be added to any catch can system once they are ready.

Joe
I have the single can from you guys on my PCV side, did you ever release the clean side can you are discussing yet? Be easier for me to just buy that and install it than buy the $250 dual setup at this point.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
That will work fine for your application to add the UPR Clean Side Catch Can. ( They will be listed and for sale on the site next week )

But to clear up the differences between the Single Valve Catch Can and the Dual Valve Catch Can I will explain them both.

The UPR Single Valve Catch Can System - is to create the proper air stream and allow for the best condensing and coalescing through a series of chambers and stages. ( But it does not address the WOT oil control and crankcase evacuation to improve performance during Wide Open Throttle )

The UPR Dual Valve Catch Can System - is to also create the proper air stream and allow for the best condensing and coalescing through a series of chambers and stages. ( Most importantly it addresses WOT oil control and crankcase evacuation with the secondary vacuum source with the WOT line connected to the cold side - turbo inlet and maintaining full vacuum during boost and allowing the primary vacuum to be closed that get pressurized during WOT and will reduce POWER. )

The difference in the UPR Single Valve Catch Can and the Dual Valve Catch Can are significant and that is what makes the dual valve outperform all single valve designs and continues to be the best choice for the true performance enthusiast.

Joe

Reactions: GTI

Sponsored

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
suppose ill just need to get the dual setup :)

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I don't get to WOT very often, so the amount of oil is usually quite small in my UPR dual-valve catch can. But I have had a few situations where I did WOT. I later checked and there was substantially more oil in the can (not a lot but noticeable). I wasn't sure if I really needed the dual-valve, but after seeing the amount of oil when I did WOT, I am glad I spent the money and installation time for the dual-valve.

GTI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

Joe
So, when you already have the UPR dual valve catch can you still need to add the clean catch can as well? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to make sure. Have ecoboost Mustang on order and want to be able to decide what to have installed when it arrives. Thanks.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yes, because the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can incorporates a second valve to eliminate boost in the crankcase from the intake manifold that all other catch cans allow and will lose power via bleeding boost from the intake and increasing positive pressure under the pistons and fighting them on the down stroke.

The problem lies in the fact that the factory PCV blocks some of the positive pressure and allows a decent amount to get back into the crankcase during wide open throttle. I have tested and am even in the middle of designing a new PCV valve eliminator.

The Dual Valve Catch Can system is to give you the best protection on the dirty side and be able to eliminate any positive crankcase pressure almost creating a vacuum in the crankcase that will improve MPG and Ring Seal as well as longevity.

The Clean Side Catch Can is a very compact and remote mount system that mounts behind the passenger head light and has proven to cure all the issues we have encountered on the clean side with the VPS = Vacuum Pressure Sensor.

Every other catch can will 100% pull oil through and do a sub=par job whereas UPR is the only company continually improving and updating our systems.

With all that being said the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can and The UPR Clean Side Catch Can systems are the best choice for absolute oil control on any BOOSTED Mustang.

Thank you for asking, Joe

Reactions: GTI

kerry.kempink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Yes, because the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can incorporates a second valve to eliminate boost in the crankcase from the intake manifold that all other catch cans allow and will lose power via bleeding boost from the intake and increasing positive pressure under the pistons and fighting them on the down stroke.

The problem lies in the fact that the factory PCV blocks some of the positive pressure and allows a decent amount to get back into the crankcase during wide open throttle. I have tested and am even in the middle of designing a new PCV valve eliminator.

The Dual Valve Catch Can system is to give you the best protection on the dirty side and be able to eliminate any positive crankcase pressure almost creating a vacuum in the crankcase that will improve MPG and Ring Seal as well as longevity.

The Clean Side Catch Can is a very compact and remote mount system that mounts behind the passenger head light and has proven to cure all the issues we have encountered on the clean side with the VPS = Vacuum Pressure Sensor.

Every other catch can will 100% pull oil through and do a sub=par job whereas UPR is the only company continually improving and updating our systems.

With all that being said the UPR Dual Valve Catch Can and The UPR Clean Side Catch Can systems are the best choice for absolute oil control on any BOOSTED Mustang.

Thank you for asking, Joe
So with using both the dual valve catch can and the new clean side catch can, this will eliminate all oil issues right? To include the infamous blue smoke problem other members are experiencing? Just want to make sure I read that correctly. I already have your dual valve catch can installed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Sponsored