GoBlues38

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Man. Who knew I would spark so much debate.

I have no problem with merging at the last minute. Again. Merge as late as you want.

The issue is the guy who is in line 4 cars behind me, who gets out of line jsut so he can make up 4 spaces. F that. You better have a faster car then me, because i will bloack that guy every single time.

Would have been totally different if i didn't see the guy pull out of line.
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Man. Who knew I would spark so much debate.

I have no problem with merging at the last minute. Again. Merge as late as you want.

The issue is the guy who is in line 4 cars behind me, who gets out of line jsut so he can make up 4 spaces. F that. You better have a faster car then me, because i will bloack that guy every single time.

Would have been totally different if i didn't see the guy pull out of line.
So a guy decides at the last minute to make use of a perfectly legal lane and then merge lane. You decide he has no right to make use of this lane and that his proper place is 4 spots behind you.

Thus instead of simply accelerating ahead of him (or letting him zip in front of you), you think the best course of action is to stay at his door so he can't get in front of you and has to brake to get behind you. And this guy is the idiot (to use your words).

Got it.

OP
OP
GoBlues38

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
So a guy decides at the last minute to make use of a perfectly legal lane and then merge lane. You decide he has no right to make use of this lane and that his proper place is 4 spots behind you.

Thus instead of simply accelerating ahead of him (or letting him zip in front of you), you think the best course of action is to stay at his door so he can't get in front of you and has to brake to get behind you. And this guy is the idiot (to use your words).

Got it.
YES! You got it.

Just be cause he can do it, doesn't mean its not rude as hell. And my only way to voice my displeasure is by blocking him when i can.

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
YES! You got it.

Just be cause he can do it, doesn't mean its not rude as hell. And my only way to voice my displeasure is by blocking him when i can.

You can try to justify your BS any way you want but it's not rude to use a wide open lane at a red light when there's plenty of room to merge beyond it.

It IS rude to intentionally keep pace with a car for 100 yards because he had the nerve to be in front of you though.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
YES! You got it.

Rude? Are you serious?

I am going to potentially cause an accident because a guy legally used an empty lane and it displeased me.

Please start a post after you do this to the wrong guy or actually do cause an accident. Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter at that point.

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Ever been in line at the store, waiting to checkout? The line is too long, so the cashier calls for help. When the lane next to you opens up, who gets to change lanes and be checked out first? The guy one spot back... two spots back... three... four...?

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Ever been in line at the store, waiting to checkout? The line is too long, so the cashier calls for help. When the lane next to you opens up, who gets to change lanes and be checked out first? The guy one spot back... two spots back... three... four...?

If you're 4th in line and everyone in front of you decides to stay in the same line and not go to the other one, then it's fair game. Just like in OP's situation.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
any of you ever heard of the zipper effect? you shouldnt merge out of a lane until the very end.
id get out of the slow lane and take the 2nd lane too if no one was using it 300 ft before it ended. thats a lot of car lengths.

educate yourselves!

for you yelling at people being assholes going all the way to the end of the lane, you're actually creating more traffic and making the bottleneck even worse. it's been proven many times by traffic engineers. so yell at yourself.

/thread
guys ....did you not see my video yesterday followed by

/thread?

that means the thread is over now. no more discussion to be had. go watch the video and learn how to properly merge.
my god...you guys make me want to bash my skull into the wall repeatedly...don't even take the time to read anything before posting responses.
it's fine for you to have an opinion on something that is like "that thing is pretty" "that thing is ugly"

it's not fine for you to have an opinion on something that has been studied by people much smarter than both you or me. it's faster to use all lanes available, period. regardless or not whether you travel the road everyday or not.

now, being a jerk and trying to block people from using a legal lane can not only result in you getting a citation for failure to maintain a lane, you could also just piss off the wrong person, and would you really want to risk that?
MERGING SOONER IS SLOWER FOR EVERYONE
You seem pretty dead set on your thinking. In my experience flexibility works a little better because for every rule there is an exception. The zipper merge is a great way to keep traffic at a consistent speed, and helps cut down on unexpected merges. I like the zipper and believe it works well in certain situations, like on a freeway, but not in all situations... especially when in many areas the law can earn the driver a "failure to yield" or "unsafe merge" citation, as continuing traffic always has the right of way. Drivers are taught this when they learn to drive, making the zipper merge seem like a ruler breaker...in some situations - like on surface roads w traffic lights.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Not the best analogy.

Better one would be: the checkout line next to you was always open, but since it is further from the exit, people don't want to use it.

Are you really going to get mad at the guy 4th in line who decided to make use of it when no one else did?

And then after you are checked out are you going adjust your pace so you can block him from exiting the store before you do?

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Because the guy was trying to jump in last second to beat more cars, instead of merging sooner like everyone else...correct? Ya, I'd block him too. He's the asshat who doesn't want to merge when he could have, instead he decided to force himself in at the end.

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but I have no idea why someone waiting till the last second and forcing themselves in causing you to hit the brakes immediately is ok with you guys...
Hear, hear! There are a number of intersections around here where afterwards, the right lane ends. I've seen many, many instances where some fool wanted to beat the line - sorry, you'll have to push this 6,600 lb. Ram (or 7,000 lb. van) out of line first. I waited my turn, you can wait yours FIFTEEN cars back. Too many times, I've let some idiot in, only to get stuck behind them, below the limit, for 2-3 miles.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You're supposed to merge near the end.. it's called the zipper. Seems the goofs in the free lane are the problem.
Sponsored