keyless fob vulnerability

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
By now I’m sure that just about everyone has read or heard about the exploited security vulnerability with the keyless systems such as that in our cars.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...ak-into-cars-with-remote-keyless-systems.html
http://jalopnik.com/thieving-teens-likely-used-17-gadget-to-break-into-ny-1698036188
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...s-breaking-into-your-car-20150416-1mm25p.html

Yesterday I had the opportunity to play with two of these devices, each was a slight variation on the overall concept.

The first and what I would consider more practical version was able to open and start my car with me 150’ away. Obviously getting out of range prevented it from working, but we also tested what else would prevent it from working and while a Faraday cage does work, so does a double layer of tin foil wrapped around the key fob.

The second was so clever I’m hesitant to post it. Two boxes that talked wirelessly; one disguised as a fire alarm pull box in a walkway bridge between a parking garage and a mall, the other with Guy A. This is how it works; Guy A sees you and your car and is talking on a cell phone to Guy B who is by the walkway bridge. You get out, lock your car and head into the mall. As you fall out of sight of Guy A, he gets close to your car and when you pass the “alarm box”, Guy B tells Guy A who now has a couple seconds to open your door, move the antenna into the car and hit start. All the while your key is in your pocket. That demo was on a Mercedes and it only began to chime after the key was out of range, but didn’t shut down the car and allowed it to be driven away.

Really eye opening, and I’m seriously thinking about buying a third fob to try and wire in an “on/off” pin switch so I can have the ability to turn off the fob.
Sponsored

Raoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Audi a4, 2015 Mustang GT
This is crazy, I'm getting the car tomorrow, I will have to make sure to wrap the fob up in tin foil while I am at work.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What happens then once they've driven away? Once the car is shut off again, wouldn't they need the physical key again?

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
What happens then once they've driven away? Once the car is shut off again, wouldn't they need the physical key again?
They shut the car off either a a chop shop or someplace they have unlimited time to work on it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Finally, a real use for this tinfoil hat.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Could you imagine the number of people that will be stealing the high end cars with all this keyless entry crap. Why do these car companies have to always go for the latest and greatest things only to cause more problems. Are we so lazy we can't get a key out of our pocket. What's next no driver required , oh wait that is around the Corner.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Could you imagine the people that will be stealing the high end cars with all this keyless entry crap. Why do these car companies buy from these venders the newest and greatest trends only to put us this situation .
Cars have been being stolen since cars were invented. Buy a Club if you are that concerned about it.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Cars have been being stolen since cars were invented. Buy a Club if you are that concerned about it.
Oh ok thanks. I'm not driving a high end car so not a worry.

Zerocool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting 2016 Mustang
Sometimes a simple security fix is all that's needed to stop thieves or at least deter them.

Aftermarket car alarm with immobiliser, simple keyswitch fuel cutoff or disclock.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Oh ok thanks. I'm not driving a high end car so not a worry.

All I was trying to get at is cars (of all dollar values) were stolen long before the advent of keyless entry/start and will be continue to be stolen after someone modifies that awesome force field the USS Enterprise has and applies it to cars. As they say: where there is a will, there is a way.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
By now I’m sure that just about everyone has read or heard about the exploited security vulnerability with the keyless systems such as that in our cars.

http://www.networkworld.com/article...ak-into-cars-with-remote-keyless-systems.html
http://jalopnik.com/thieving-teens-likely-used-17-gadget-to-break-into-ny-1698036188
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...s-breaking-into-your-car-20150416-1mm25p.html

Yesterday I had the opportunity to play with two of these devices, each was a slight variation on the overall concept.

The first and what I would consider more practical version was able to open and start my car with me 150’ away. Obviously getting out of range prevented it from working, but we also tested what else would prevent it from working and while a Faraday cage does work, so does a double layer of tin foil wrapped around the key fob.

The second was so clever I’m hesitant to post it. Two boxes that talked wirelessly; one disguised as a fire alarm pull box in a walkway bridge between a parking garage and a mall, the other with Guy A. This is how it works; Guy A sees you and your car and is talking on a cell phone to Guy B who is by the walkway bridge. You get out, lock your car and head into the mall. As you fall out of sight of Guy A, he gets close to your car and when you pass the “alarm box”, Guy B tells Guy A who now has a couple seconds to open your door, move the antenna into the car and hit start. All the while your key is in your pocket. That demo was on a Mercedes and it only began to chime after the key was out of range, but didn’t shut down the car and allowed it to be driven away.

Really eye opening, and I’m seriously thinking about buying a third fob to try and wire in an “on/off” pin switch so I can have the ability to turn off the fob.
My 2016 won't be here until after August but I'lll probably get one of these anyway.

Putting the key fob in the freezer or keeping tin foil in my pocket is not my preference.

Fob Guard

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I know this isn't a Ford problem but it would be nice to get a response from Ford. I even paid the extra $395 for the Enhanced Security Package with Active Anti-theft system.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I was able to remote start my car from a long distance the other night... it was fairly amazing.. was up a slight hill so I had clear line of vision. So my guess is the two people don't have to be close to you for this to happen.

Interesting to see what comes out of this and if it becomes a wider issue this summer.

Get a joy ride without going to the dealer for under $50...

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Remote start is a different (active) function of the key fob than keyless entry. The manual states that the range is much greater on remote start. Keyless entry, I believe, relies upon passive RFI but the auto manufacturers implementation of it seems to have a massive security hole as has been noted.
Sponsored