Sponsored

What's Next? More Mod Questions...

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
So I added Bama's tune and an Airaid CAI. 0-60 is now down to 5.2 seconds, with one freak run to 5 seconds flat (according to Track Apps). I can't duplicate the 5.0 run, though. I want this car to run comfortably in the 4s, 0-60.

My ecoboost is a base model, non-PP, automatic with 3.15 gears. So what's the next lowest hanging fruit?

Could do the exhaust + downpipe, or the intercooler + BOV, or rip off these 17x7.5 rims and go with some staggered 19s or 20s (with 10" wide on the rear) with better traction, or could swap the gears for 3.73.

What do you all think?
Sponsored

bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2020 Explorer ST, 1990 Mustang GT turbo
Tires and intercooler

Why make more power when you already have traction issues? Tires would be your largest improvement and in more areas then just acceleration. Intercooler is pretty much a must have especially with a tune giving the IATs people are seeing. Gears is kind of pointless for you and will be expensive to have installed. Gears will just put you at a higher rpm given the same speed and the ecoboost doesn't have a good top end.

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Depends, are you having traction issues now?
3.73's will not help traction without bigger stickier tires. Of course bigger stickier tires will also increase unsprung rate which will slow 0-60 times, all things being equal.
exhaust + downpipe, or the intercooler will increase power making the smaller tires have even less traction.

Its all about balance. If you go wheels, I would get the lightest 19 inch's you could afford. Then get a turboback.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Depends, are you having traction issues now?
3.73's will not help traction without bigger stickier tires. Of course bigger stickier tires will also increase unsprung rate which will slow 0-60 times, all things being equal.
exhaust + downpipe, or the intercooler will increase power making the smaller tires have even less traction.

Its all about balance. If you go wheels, I would get the lightest 19 inch's you could afford. Then get a turboback.
Yeah, if I turn traction control, I get pretty good wheel spin at this point, if I even brake boost at all. Traction control on gets rid of the spin, of course, but always posts slower times. So I think there's some traction trouble at this point. Also I get some pretty decent hop in the back with these smaller tires just driving aggressively anyway.

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Yeah, if I turn traction control, I get pretty good wheel spin at this point, if I even brake boost at all. Traction control on gets rid of the spin, of course, but always posts slower times. So I think there's some traction trouble at this point. Also I get some pretty decent hop in the back with these smaller tires just driving aggressively anyway.

Wheel hop is still going to be a problem not matter the tire. Look into Steeda or BMR wheel hop solutions. Wheel hop will affect your 0-60.

I don't know if times in the 4's is realistic, but I would like to see you do it!:)

Sponsored

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Wheel hop is still going to be a problem not matter the tire. Look into Steeda or BMR wheel hop solutions. Wheel hop will affect your 0-60.

I don't know if times in the 4's is realistic, but I would like to see you do it!:)
I'm so close to it now. The freak 5.0 time, and the consistent 5.2 times... the car feels like just a little more would take it there.

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
I would start taking a look at downpipes and tires - More Airflow + better grip will likely get you down there in a heartbeat! Check out StainlessWorks Off-Road! They'll run less as they're not catted and correct me if I'm wrong but emissions laws are relaxed in FL correct?

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
wider tires, steeda suspension, catback/FMIC/DP/CAI all in that order

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
As much as I'm not a fan of the 17s, they are the factory wheel that will allow the fastest acceleration.

Def a 'sleeper' wheel too.

Stickier rear tire, not wider. Next engine mod...meh, pick your poison.

EvlZEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
See I'm not having traction issues on stock p zero Nero all seasons, I'm actually doing consistent 4.9 sec 0-60mph on the street. But that's mostly thanks to Adams tune at MAP. We've been tweaking things a bit the past few days. All I have is intake and tune as well. And these are street numbers, at a sticky track it should be better. I think you need to play with your tune and maybe your launching. I'll be coming out with drag springs shortly for the guys who that is their concern. Just keep toying with what you got before you drop more money :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
See I'm not having traction issues on stock p zero Nero all seasons, I'm actually doing consistent 4.9 sec 0-60mph on the street. But that's mostly thanks to Adams tune at MAP. We've been tweaking things a bit the past few days. All I have is intake and tune as well. And these are street numbers, at a sticky track it should be better. I think you need to play with your tune and maybe your launching. I'll be coming out with drag springs shortly for the guys who that is their concern. Just keep toying with what you got before you drop more money :)
What RPM do you brake boost to? You auto or manual? PP or no?

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
As much as I'm not a fan of the 17s, they are the factory wheel that will allow the fastest acceleration.

Def a 'sleeper' wheel too.

Stickier rear tire, not wider. Next engine mod...meh, pick your poison.
Is it because the wheels are smaller (lighter)? I don't understand why 17x7s would allow fastest acceleration. But maybe I'm missing something... I am still new at this, after all!

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Is it because the wheels are smaller (lighter)? I don't understand why 17x7s would allow fastest acceleration. But maybe I'm missing something... I am still new at this, after all!
Should be lighter to translate and less energy to rotate due to moment of inertia vs any of the larger diameter and wider wheels.

This is the whole reason people put 'skinny' wheels and tires on the front for drag racing, as well as rolling resistance.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Ive got the same model as you. I currently have Intake, Catless DP, Muffler Delete, Custom Tune from Adam at MAP and a Mishimoto Catch Can. Ill be an IC here within a few weeks. I also just received my springs finally! So those will go on this weekend. Cant wait to see how it changes the suspension feeling. Too floaty for me stock. For gears, Unless this is your weekend car i wouldn't do 3.73s. I myself will go with 3.55s as the 3.15s suck. Lol. These cars deff need an IC though. Temps are just TOO DAMN HIGH! Lol
Sponsored