Sponsored

Trade Mach “up” to a GT350 or keep it and modify?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Nothing really other than ride around aggressively as I safely can on the street, look cool, sound cool and feel special. As far as looking cool goes I cannot imagine getting more attention from total strangers than in the Mach, if that’s your thing. If I stop somewhere I’ll have people come up and ask to take pics and even shoot video. I had no idea this would happen. I’ve had people crowd me on the road trying to get a better look to the point it’s dangerous. And the Mach is plenty fast and street capable, it just isn’t a Shelby.

Which brings up another question: is a Shelby really still a Shelby anymore? If the answer is “not really” or “not so much” it’d make the decision a lot easier.
I think you answered your question. Get the GT350. Of course it is a Shelby.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It doesn't sound like you care about the performance difference. You want the GT350 to feel special, then get the GT350. You can build a base Mustang to beat a GT350 on a track. It's not some special unobtainable thing.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Your avatar says "Deep South"... pm me if you are near Atlanta.
I swapped seats with a new Mach1 owner... I drove his and he drove mine back to back on the same roads. Owners rode shotgun.
There is quite a difference between the two... we both agreed.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10/23 Mach1 A10/23 Mach1 6MT/24 GT A10
Your avatar says "Deep South"... pm me if you are near Atlanta.
I swapped seats with a new Mach1 owner... I drove his and he drove mine back to back on the same roads. Owners rode shotgun.
There is quite a difference between the two... we both agreed.
I am in fact near-ish Atlanta and this is what gave rise to me thinking about this. Earlier this week I was on Hwy. 9 between Dawsonville and Dahlonega in my non-HP ‘23 Mach 1. I’m sure you know the road but as you get closer to Dahlonge the S-curves get even tighter and more challenging. By then I was really in the groove, had the car in track mode and tires pumped up to 35# and I was pushing hard. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk but I did have a couple of folks pull over to let me enjoy myself. While I don’t doubt there’s a difference between your car and that of your friend’s, I don’t honestly believe any car could have gone through those stretches any faster and stayed on the road while dealing with traffic too. As a street guy I’m just thinking to myself, “how much more could I use if I had it?” But maybe I’m missing something…

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Why don't you try getting a take off set of HP wheels and mount up some PS4's They come in the same size as the HP cup 2's but you will get much longer tread life out of them. 305/30's F and 315/30's R

I would try that before I would downgrade a perfectly good M1 for a used 350.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
lol, no offense but…

If your question is does Shelby American have any involvement with the GT350/GT500, the answer is no. Both are solely a product of Ford Performance.
…so the 350/500 did NOT go to Shelby American and don’t count, got it.

Should have clarified: all Ford OEM Shelby models.

The Shelby F-150 falls into the same bucket as the Super Snake. These both start as run of the mill Mustang GTs and F-150s and are sent to Shelby American for aftermarket work. Neither of these are factory models.
…and the F150 DID go to SA, but also doesn’t count, got it.

So, are you a purist that believes the last true Shelby was the Series One? …askin for a friend 😬

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Sure the 350 packs 46 more hp than a mach, but I'd gladly give up the 46 hp for reliability. Besides a set of long tubes, a good tune and some E85 will erase that 46 hp deficit.
…unless of course, the 350 guy has the same mods 😎

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
lol, no offense but…

…so the 350/500 did NOT go to Shelby American and don’t count, got it.

…and the F150 DID go to SA, but also doesn’t count, got it.

So, are you a purist that believes the last true Shelby was the Series One? …askin for a friend 😬
Lol not coming at this from a purist standpoint. Was only clarifying because not a lot of people understand the difference. Didn’t mean any harm.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
look cool, sound cool and feel special
This is the GT350 or GT350R. Having driven an R I can say that it feels special. And the sound is intoxicating and no other V8 sounds like it (IMO). And I’d argue the GT350 is the best looking S550 (GT500 would be a close 2nd for me). I will say that the R has more of a raw feel to it so if that’s not for you, the non-R 350 is also quite awesome.

I almost bought an R earlier this summer but couldn’t agree on price with the dealer. Long term a manual isn’t for me (bad knees) but it was the exact spec I would’ve ordered so I had to give it a shot.

I’ve not driven a Mach so I can’t compare the two but the Shelby’s are special (with or without a CSM)

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I am in fact near-ish Atlanta and this is what gave rise to me thinking about this. Earlier this week I was on Hwy. 9 between Dawsonville and Dahlonega in my non-HP ‘23 Mach 1. I’m sure you know the road but as you get closer to Dahlonge the S-curves get even tighter and more challenging. By then I was really in the groove, had the car in track mode and tires pumped up to 35# and I was pushing hard. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk but I did have a couple of folks pull over to let me enjoy myself. While I don’t doubt there’s a difference between your car and that of your friend’s, I don’t honestly believe any car could have gone through those stretches any faster and stayed on the road while dealing with traffic too. As a street guy I’m just thinking to myself, “how much more could I use if I had it?” But maybe I’m missing something…
Send me a pm with your contact info... I'll meet you somewhere and we can swap seats... decide for yourself.... don't let the internet make your decision.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
You have to drive the 350 before you can even entertain this question. The power delivery is just so different, not saying one is better than the other, it’s more of a question of do you love to drive in high RPMs or low RPMs. And if you had a handling package car, the decision would be much more difficult. I love 350s and two years later still agonize over this decision, but any time I get to seat time in a 350 I am so glad I chose the Mach. Purely because I am the opposite of the guy who sits at the red light and revs his engine to redline.

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 TRX, 2020 Shelby GT350
I don't have a Mach 1, but test drove a bunch of them, some with HP and some base. I have had two GT350’s. Played the car market for a bit post covid when trade values skyrocketed. Obviously things are different now so you’ll definitely take a 10-20% equity hit on trade out the gate minimum, that might matter to you or not. (You will trade lower and buy high as 350’s are still at a premium for 19-20 MY)

Personally, I wouldn’t trade a ‘23 Mach 1 for a 19-20 350. They are both special with great 32 valve dohc engines. I especially like the Mach 1 badging, font and front fascia.

Now GT350 (which sits in my garage…I managed to find a 2020 with 2K miles, Handling Pack, Shelby Cover, and complete owners kit and had it delivered straight to my house) is definitely unique with the Voodoo flat crank and that sound is livid. But still, I think you’d be disappointed because they both have the same transmission, the driving experience will be so similar especially for what you plan to do with it. But if you were going to trade, find exactly what you want…color, options, extras and don't compromise.

Here’s a good comparison video:

IMG_3309.jpeg

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Purely because I am the opposite of the guy who sits at the red light and revs his engine to redline.
which is exactly in the 350 wheelhouse…I have never met, seen or heard of a 350 running from a dig, but get us on a freeway from a roll and it’s game on 😬

to be fair, I have lost twice…once to a big turbo Wrx and again to a highly modified M4, the Hayabusa don’t count cause he was on two wheels 😂🙉🤨😛🙉

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would try that before I would downgrade a perfectly good M1 for a used 350.
Bro, that’s twice you’ve said “downgrade”. No reason to be that way. If the 350 isn’t your bag that’s fine, but no reason to shit talk a car that in all likelihood is an upgrade or at the very least an equal (I can’t directly compare the 2 as I haven’t driven a Mach). Save the downgrade talk for Mopars 🤭

BossPapa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1971 Boss 351 Mustang, 2019 F-250
I’m going to go down a completely different path here. Since you have 3 modern era Mustangs already and are considering letting one go, have you thought about an old school ride? I love my Mach 1, but nothing can compare to the experience of driving my Boss 351 on a nice day plus taking it to all the local car shows. It’s a completely different experience if you’re open to it.
Sponsored