Sponsored

Wengerd - my gen3 10R80 review.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
First let me say, I'm not going to bash anyone else here. We've done that in other threads. Let me do say that I've had two other tuners/tuning companies with my car so far. And Its been bad enough for me to pay the next guy TWICE to get a proper tune with trans support and not be talked to like I will take what I get and like it. My car is a 22 GT with the 10R80. And bone stock it was a mess, especially with the trans. Hunting all over the place for gears and shifting smooth, then shifting like the trans just broke. What was ford thinking.

So anyway, I got a tune basically within the first couple hundred miles. I already have an MPVI2+ HP Tuners module and have used HP Tuners editor and scanner extensively for about 2 years now. Not as a "tooner", but as an avid data logger. I can read/write and scan with the best of them, but don't make any changes unless directed by the tuner themselves.

Now on to my man DW at wengerd performance. I call him DW because I've literally seen his first name spelled like 6 different ways and this makes it simple. First off, pricing. His tuning prices and RTD prices are basically a tad better or on point with all the others. Some of the more well known guys do charge more, but TRUST ME you are not getting more for your money.

Like I said I have the MPVI2+ which is basically the RTD+ but I'm able to edit tunes in VCM editor if I need. But with DW, I opted to use the TDN app where he queues up the tunes in my app/folder, and I use BT from my iPhone to connect to my MPVI2+ and flash the tunes from there to the car. Works as expected, but it is slower than using the laptop with the cable/VCM editor. Takes about 5 minutes to flash with the iPhone vs about a minute and a half with the computer/cable.

Once the tune was loaded, I was able to log for him with the TDN app. He started with my stock file that I already had, not one from one of the other tooners' files I had before. And MINUTE ONE, first revision, the car was smoother. Idled better, shifted better and felt peppier.

Two more revisions from normal driving, and I had a much more intuitive shifting car that drove like it should from factory. Like wow night and day.

Then another two into WOT tuning, and I now see why guys run DRs on a basically stock car. I went straight for an E tune. I had headers no cats and the JLT already. And once I was able to go full WOT, I had to put my ET Street SS's on. HOOOLEEY SHEET. The car will absolutely wreck itself on the 1-2, 2-3 and even the 3-4 shift on the stock 20s. Once the DRs were on, it was just pure acceleration. On point with what my stock ZL1 felt like but with probably 100 less hp.

So at this point, I was not taking anyone's word for the tuning. The proof was in the pudding(driving), but I wanted to see the logs for myself. DW was able to get me what I needed to be able to log the car with my HPT setup/laptop, not just the iPhone.

And of course the fuel trims were perfect. Everything was spot on. Car was happier than I ever saw it. Shifts are smoother than stock in normal driving modes. Then in track or drag, its a fucking animal. This is how it should be. normal/sport are for the street. Track and drag are for track and drag. You are going to punish yourself in drag mode if you try to drive it normally in drag. Drag needs to be WOT or nothing. Its that violent. DW said there is the least tq management in drag mode. And he MFing means it.

So in closing, if you are looking to get a tune for your N/A coyote (boosted, hes even better with), give DW at @Wengerd Performance a try. His same business day/hour responsiveness is a breath of fresh air. And his attitude is humble and well received. Dont let yourself get fooled into the other tooners out there because their business names get spammed all over the FB groups and forums, when ironically I'd be willing to bet 99% of those spammers have never used and had to live with their service. I did and let me tell you there is more to this game then the name. Attention to customers needs/wants and listening to their issues while also being available in a reasonable time frame is more important than anything. ANd if you can get all that along with a SICK tune, you are winning.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you got exactly what you wanted !

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Awesome summary! I already knew how you felt about him and his tunes and you just reiterated something I have been saying for over two years to anyone that will listen!

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Awesome summary! I already knew how you felt about him and his tunes and you just reiterated something I have been saying for over two years to anyone that will listen!
Yeah I've both experienced with my own car or ridden in a few other cars with those other shop's tunes. And frankly been blown away with how bad some of them can be. And to also know that they are blaming the poor driving characteristics on phantom mechanical problems that cant be replicated with the OEM tune once flashed back... Its unreal how quick some of those firms will take your money, send you a canned tune then "fire" you if you push back too hard on drivability issues.

Luckily I can afford to sample a few other tuners (which I did), but in my experience you are actually getting what you pay for with Wengerd. This "secret sauce" business other shops claim they have for trans and other settings are nothing more than propaganda.

If I didnt see it all for myself with repeated logs, track days with back to back runs between tuner's different tunes with my own car, I wouldnt have believed it.

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
First let me say, I'm not going to bash anyone else here. We've done that in other threads. Let me do say that I've had two other tuners/tuning companies with my car so far. And Its been bad enough for me to pay the next guy TWICE to get a proper tune with trans support and not be talked to like I will take what I get and like it. My car is a 22 GT with the 10R80. And bone stock it was a mess, especially with the trans. Hunting all over the place for gears and shifting smooth, then shifting like the trans just broke. What was ford thinking.

So anyway, I got a tune basically within the first couple hundred miles. I already have an MPVI2+ HP Tuners module and have used HP Tuners editor and scanner extensively for about 2 years now. Not as a "tooner", but as an avid data logger. I can read/write and scan with the best of them, but don't make any changes unless directed by the tuner themselves.

Now on to my man DW at wengerd performance. I call him DW because I've literally seen his first name spelled like 6 different ways and this makes it simple. First off, pricing. His tuning prices and RTD prices are basically a tad better or on point with all the others. Some of the more well known guys do charge more, but TRUST ME you are not getting more for your money.

Like I said I have the MPVI2+ which is basically the RTD+ but I'm able to edit tunes in VCM editor if I need. But with DW, I opted to use the TDN app where he queues up the tunes in my app/folder, and I use BT from my iPhone to connect to my MPVI2+ and flash the tunes from there to the car. Works as expected, but it is slower than using the laptop with the cable/VCM editor. Takes about 5 minutes to flash with the iPhone vs about a minute and a half with the computer/cable.

Once the tune was loaded, I was able to log for him with the TDN app. He started with my stock file that I already had, not one from one of the other tooners' files I had before. And MINUTE ONE, first revision, the car was smoother. Idled better, shifted better and felt peppier.

Two more revisions from normal driving, and I had a much more intuitive shifting car that drove like it should from factory. Like wow night and day.

Then another two into WOT tuning, and I now see why guys run DRs on a basically stock car. I went straight for an E tune. I had headers no cats and the JLT already. And once I was able to go full WOT, I had to put my ET Street SS's on. HOOOLEEY SHEET. The car will absolutely wreck itself on the 1-2, 2-3 and even the 3-4 shift on the stock 20s. Once the DRs were on, it was just pure acceleration. On point with what my stock ZL1 felt like but with probably 100 less hp.

So at this point, I was not taking anyone's word for the tuning. The proof was in the pudding(driving), but I wanted to see the logs for myself. DW was able to get me what I needed to be able to log the car with my HPT setup/laptop, not just the iPhone.

And of course the fuel trims were perfect. Everything was spot on. Car was happier than I ever saw it. Shifts are smoother than stock in normal driving modes. Then in track or drag, its a fucking animal. This is how it should be. normal/sport are for the street. Track and drag are for track and drag. You are going to punish yourself in drag mode if you try to drive it normally in drag. Drag needs to be WOT or nothing. Its that violent. DW said there is the least tq management in drag mode. And he MFing means it.

So in closing, if you are looking to get a tune for your N/A coyote (boosted, hes even better with), give DW at @Wengerd Performance a try. His same business day/hour responsiveness is a breath of fresh air. And his attitude is humble and well received. Dont let yourself get fooled into the other tooners out there because their business names get spammed all over the FB groups and forums, when ironically I'd be willing to bet 99% of those spammers have never used and had to live with their service. I did and let me tell you there is more to this game then the name. Attention to customers needs/wants and listening to their issues while also being available in a reasonable time frame is more important than anything. ANd if you can get all that along with a SICK tune, you are winning.
Wengered is top notch 👌👍🏁

Sponsored

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle

This is great to hear. I just got my tuning device from him and getting closer to tuning my Roush Stage 3 car. I just need to get my Catless LTH’s on then good to go. Hoping for some better results as this Roush tune is all over the place. Seems the trans gets confused. I also have the IC Chiller going on to battle the higher IAT’2 that come with the Roush set up.

Bill A

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium

I have a Wengerd tune also and it is pretty SICK. I had a tune from another tuner and the difference between the two are night and day.

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Wengerd checked my data logs at 7pmest. After hours on a Friday. Top notch. Other Tuners would have never replied until Monday.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I used Wengerd on my Mach 1 and couldn't be happier. Both tunes spot on and runs great.

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
This is great to hear. I just got my tuning device from him and getting closer to tuning my Roush Stage 3 car. I just need to get my Catless LTH’s on then good to go. Hoping for some better results as this Roush tune is all over the place. Seems the trans gets confused. I also have the IC Chiller going on to battle the higher IAT’2 that come with the Roush set up.
The Chiller makes a big difference on IAT2s. No more pulling timing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The Chiller makes a big difference on IAT2s. No more pulling timing.
You can also use a splash of E85 or a bottle of octanium unleaded. Thats what I do. I'd run it past Wengerd but running a blend of pump and E to E20 helps bump up that octane and leans it out a tad. Nothing the car cant manage with fuel trims. Or if you dont have cats, you can confidently run VP Octanium octane booster. Just run a full can with a full tank of pump gas and you'll get 96 to 100 octane.

All this will get rid of your pump gas knock. What Im going to do with Wengerd when he retunes me for the whipple here in a few days, is one of those. Probably two gallons of E then the rest all 93 from the pump. But thats after he has me completely dialed in on straight 93. That way the car will run more consistently even in the heat or cool.

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is what I mean.
IMG_0984.png

Autopart101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
You can also use a splash of E85 or a bottle of octanium unleaded. Thats what I do. I'd run it past Wengerd but running a blend of pump and E to E20 helps bump up that octane and leans it out a tad. Nothing the car cant manage with fuel trims. Or if you dont have cats, you can confidently run VP Octanium octane booster. Just run a full can with a full tank of pump gas and you'll get 96 to 100 octane.

All this will get rid of your pump gas knock. What Im going to do with Wengerd when he retunes me for the whipple here in a few days, is one of those. Probably two gallons of E then the rest all 93 from the pump. But thats after he has me completely dialed in on straight 93. That way the car will run more consistently even in the heat or cool.
I use to run Octanium when I was on pumped gas. The Roush 2650 guys all have high IAT2s. 40 degrees above ambient can be the norm. The chiller fixes that. IAT2s now below IAT1.

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Oh no...another avid "data logger". Please explain with great detail, how being able to datalog, and look at information makes you even remotely qualified to understand tuning as a whole? This type of post is clown shit, sorry it is.

OP
OP
ZXMustang

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Oh no...another avid "data logger". Please explain with great detail, how being able to datalog, and look at information makes you even remotely qualified to understand tuning as a whole? This type of post is clown shit, sorry it is.
Well man, not to feed your troll post too much but being able to log and identify issues you might be having while actually being in the car and hearing all the noises and feeling what the trans is doing is a massive help to your tuner in diagnosing issues that come up randomly.
A great example is when I was at the track. I was playing with launch RPM. At 1700-1800 the car was happy. Logs showed no knock and all clean shifts. Then at 2000rpm launch, I ran a bit better but nothing to write home about. Buuuuuit according to the logs the car pulled 11 degrees of timing at the hit telling me it was either very unhappy or I had some bad false knock.
After seeing that in the logs, in the pits we found my passenger side header was tapping on the AC line and most likely from the engine torquing itself over to the side allowing those two points to touch and vibrate. Setting off the knock sensors. This was further confirmed by tq source changing the table it was using to evaluate the amount of timing to add when the car is happy and not seeing knock. Had I not been running a log and able to see and understand what I was looking at, who knows if I would have ever found that false knock? The car was tuned at that point and running great. No need to log anything. Like most people. Set it and forget it.

Another example is using the flex tunes and transitions from E to 93 and back. It’s not magic how that happens and I know exactly why. Do you? Here’s a real time log I personally took of my car watching it learn from e10 up to e77. These types of logs will show you what the car sees in terms of E content, AFR and fuel trims all telling you if you are good to run it or if the car needs more time or more E to get to the desired ethanol level.
Sponsored