Sponsored

GEN 5 whipple 60-130 dragy ?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The one thing I'll emphasize is that there's two distinct camps/categories.

Category A is moderate power compared to the chassis/tires.
Category B is excessive or way excessive power/torque compared to the chassis tires.

If you're in Category A, just about any power adder system will work (with different aspects and pros and cons).

If you're in Category B however, where you're making 4 digit power and crazy torque, the choices start to get really different. The distinct advantage of a turbo setup is the ability to manage the boost/torque through a wastegate and controller.

You can make 4 digit power on Turbo, Twin Screw or Big Centri. How that power is delivered however becomes an issue if you're greatly exceeding the tires/grip.

With a big power Twin Screw (aka Whipple) the power/torque is only modulated by your right foot. Which on the street and even at the track is SCARY. Why? Because to get the car to perform you're going to want to be somewhere near the point that the tires spin. In order to do that, you have to calibrate your foot and get as close to spin as possible without breaking traction. Breaking traction at 20 mph in a parking lot is cute. Breaking traction at triple digit speeds is a recipe for carnage.

My advice is....if you're going to go 850 hp and say 750 torque or less, pick whatever blows your hair back. Roots, Twins Screw, Centri, Turbos. If you're going to make torque that's north of that you'd better have some max effort chassis and tire setup (aka drag suspension and 15" slicks) unless you can manage that torque with a boost controller (aka turbos). Otherwise the car is just a spin machine.

A guy who just posted a sub 4 second dragy video was asked "what's the secret" and his answer was both spot on and insightful. "Boost ramp."

If I were going less than 850 wheel, I'd opt for either a whipple or an ESS/Procharger setup. Both have particular traits that you can read about in countless other threads. But if you ever plan on going BIG numbers, go with turbos. You can at least control and choose how much sauce you want for varying conditions, circumstances, gears, rpm, etc.

At some point, TRACTION becomes the dominant factor in rear wheel drive cars. You can make 10,000 hp but if the tires can't put it down, it's not just useless, it's outright dangerous.

As any car climbs through the gears, the torque multiplication drops with each higher gear. Starting off, my car makes almost 11x the torque to the wheels that the engine is creating (in 1st gear). So at peak torque (nearly 900 Ft-lbs) the tires are seeing nearly 10,000 ft-lbs of torque. Which is why it just rolls them over. As the gears climb, it eventually drops to 5.03 times the torque (in 3rd), 4.09 times the torque (in 4th) and 3.272 times the torque (in 5th).

This issue is one of the reasons why roll racing has become so popular. In order to keep the torque (and traction limitations) manageable, big power/tq cars need to be in higher gears (less multiplication) to keep the traction from being overwhelmed. That translates to higher speeds.

So to summarize, if you're below the sweet spot in traction and torque limits, choose whatever. If you EVER plan on going big torque numbers, turbo is about the only option outside of expensive systems like MOTEC that can manage the engine output relative to wheel spin.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It is silly how easy it is to modulate the WOT torque curve. If you want, you can make a Whipple have a torque curve just like a centrif. In fact, you can program it to have the factory stock torque curve in Drive but full-on boost in Sport mode. Or you can make it come on like a centrif in Drive and Whipple in Sport. It's surprisingly easy to do and any tuner who understands the logic can do it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It is silly how easy it is to modulate the WOT torque curve. If you want, you can make a Whipple have a torque curve just like a centrif. In fact, you can program it to have the factory stock torque curve in Drive but full-on boost in Sport mode. Or you can make it come on like a centrif in Drive and Whipple in Sport. It's surprisingly easy to do and any tuner who understands the logic can do it.
Unfortunately I'm a manual, but I'd be interested in seeing the strategies and logic in the tune for an auto. And in order to do that I'm assuming you'd need to dyno the car at various throttle angles in order to have a map, otherwise how do you effectively target the loads?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Do the manuals not have drive modes at all?

it’s just 3 changes to get it to work.

1. Move wot start and end up to 200 for both. This allows it to stay in torque control even with the pedal to the floor.

2. In the pedal transfer table, change say, normal mode to max out at something like 60%.

3. In the driver demand table, put the desired reduced torque curve in the 60% column. Make sure the 90% column torque demand is above what the engine is capable of.

iirc in the auto, you also have to change the normal shift points so it will shift at 7400 rpm at only 60% pedal. I think it uses the translated pedal for shift points.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Do the manuals not have drive modes at all?

it’s just 3 changes to get it to work.

1. Move wot start and end up to 200 for both. This allows it to stay in torque control even with the pedal to the floor.

2. In the pedal transfer table, change say, normal mode to max out at something like 60%.

3. In the driver demand table, put the desired reduced torque curve in the 60% column. Make sure the 90% column torque demand is above what the engine is capable of.

iirc in the auto, you also have to change the normal shift points so it will shift at 7400 rpm at only 60% pedal. I think it uses the translated pedal for shift points.
I have drive modes. What you're describing would work, but it's fairly crude compared to boost control by gear/rpm. This would essentially choke the output but wouldn't have the specificity of different conditions. Granted, physically changing the air intake based off some other signal/trigger has it's own challenges as well.

I currently have a smooth boost which is tied (currently) to throttle position (direct ramp) but it can be "controlled" in a number of ways, I just haven't explored how to set it up and manage it. I have a MOTEC system in the works and hopefully that ends up being the dialed in custom torque management necessary for big numbers.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I have drive modes. What you're describing would work, but it's fairly crude compared to boost control by gear/rpm. This would essentially choke the output but wouldn't have the specificity of different conditions. Granted, physically changing the air intake based off some other signal/trigger has it's own challenges as well.

I currently have a smooth boost which is tied (currently) to throttle position (direct ramp) but it can be "controlled" in a number of ways, I just haven't explored how to set it up and manage it. I have a MOTEC system in the works and hopefully that ends up being the dialed in custom torque management necessary for big numbers.
@Angrey, it's not crude at all in the way it controls. You program in the torque curve you want in ft-lb of torque as a function of rpm. The logic calculates the throttle opening required to achieve that torque level just like it does at part throttle. It actually uses multiple nested feedback loops to improve accuracy even further beyond the feed-forward control. I would say it's much more sophisticated and accurate than any non-feedback boost controller that simply controls boost regardless of ambient conditions, engine speed, cam timing, lambda, spark timing, etc. The torque control I described earlier will actually hit the desired values for the entire curve you program in regardless of whether or not you're hitting good timing numbers, rich or lean, or even extreme ambient conditions. Torque by gear using the stock logic is a bit more limited in functionality and just sets a torque limit for each gear, not a torque curve.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Still making progress on pure 93 octane.

Changes from my 5.9 run:

- 3.5” pulley
- full drag wheel setup front and rear

Excuses:

- was driving straight into 20mph wind
- still only shifting it at 7500rpm

I’m happy with it, but there’s still more in it on 93 octane.

IMG_1231.png

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@mejohn50 didnt you pull a 6.1 on your 142 mph pass?

I really think people give up on true pump gas way too soon on these….

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yes it did 6.1 when it went 142 in the 1/4. For whatever reason my 1/4 pass 60-130 was 0.2 off my PB 60-130 at the time.
My 9.53 pass was a 5.42 60-130. My PB on the street is 5.02.

Sponsored

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
6.1 was my fastest true pump 93 pass. 3.75 pulley, full weight at 4200lbs, 2200ft elevation and 1800DA. I didn't get a track pass in that DA but at 4000DA I was running 10.4 at 138. Bad 1.68 60ft. The goal was a 9.99 and I think I could have hit that in better DA

1Mean22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt premium
6.1 was my fastest true pump 93 pass. 3.75 pulley, full weight at 4200lbs, 2200ft elevation and 1800DA. I didn't get a track pass in that DA but at 4000DA I was running 10.4 at 138. Bad 1.68 60ft. The goal was a 9.99 and I think I could have hit that in better DA
How much power do you have?

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
3.5” pulley
- full drag wheel setup front and rear
[/QUOTE]
3.5 pulley on 93? Isn't that risky? You are in crazy hero DA as well so you aren't losing boost that's for sure.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple