Creepy copper

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Just trying to make a funny thread title without spending a bunch of time on it. And, maybe "creepy" is the wrong word, but it was uncomfortable being checked out that way.
No it's the right word. I had a CHP motocop pull up next to me and stare me down. Total dickhead.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
This is a bit of a contentious subject. Unless you plan on slavishly following the speed limit everywhere, or unplugging the cam on highway trips, etc... That GPS reading is more evidence that can be used against you.

E.g. Somebody may have pulled out on front of you, but you were doing 44mph in a 40. That's just the kind of info you don't want readily available to either insurance company.

I wouldn't get one with GPS, but to each their own.
I see a pretty easy solution here.

Just get two dash cams and use whichever one situationally based on whatā€™s best for you.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Yeah I never understood why. Even the crotch rockets get a pass.
In general motorcyclists are very loud in local politics. They tend to stick together and lobby for their rights.

The EPA and CARB wouldn't get away with the things they do if WE stuck together.

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
In general motorcyclists are very loud in local politics. They tend to stick together and lobby for their rights.

The EPA and CARB wouldn't get away with the things they do if WE stuck together.
The EPA and CARB don't care much about motorcycles because they represent maybe 1 out of every 1000 vehicles on the road, and that's seasonal/recreational. Because of that, as well as smaller displacements and shorter trips, their emissions are negligible compared to passenger cars and trucks. It seems unlikely that it's simply because of some strong fraternity among bikers.

KCCG1219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kristen
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Mustang
My wife's been lobbying for one for both our vehicles. She's not wrong. My only problem with them is the need to take them out every time we leave the vehicle to avoid tempting thieves.
Why would a dash cam tempt thieves? Wouldnā€™t it work the opposite way? This is the first time Iā€™m hearing this haha

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Why would a dash cam tempt thieves? Wouldnā€™t it work the opposite way? This is the first time Iā€™m hearing this haha
Agreed. Mines wired in and running 24/7. I wish I had three or four of them around the car.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Where I'm from, anything in the car will get your window smashed. Dashcam, radar detective, pretty much anything else in plain sight.

Not sure why a dashcam would "work the opposite way" unless it's storing video in the cloud. I haven't looked into them in a while, but the ones I'm familiar with store video on internal memory that just goes with the dashcam when it's stolen.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thereā€™s a few removable dash cams available. Check out Vortex Radar on YouTube. Many of them also have GPS speed that can be disabled, mine is such a device.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Kinda like a visit to the proctologist
If you equate a police officer looking at your car and following you to a dude putting his finger in your buttā€¦ frankly I donā€™t even know what to say to that šŸ˜‚. Iā€™d rather a cop follow me for a minute any day of the week-

Sponsored
OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
If you equate a police officer looking at your car and following you to a dude putting his finger in your buttā€¦ frankly I donā€™t even know what to say to that šŸ˜‚. Iā€™d rather a cop follow me for a minute any day of the week-
Um, er... At least the doctor is doing it for a legitimate reason.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thereā€™s a few removable dash cams available. Check out Vortex Radar on YouTube. Many of them also have GPS speed that can be disabled, mine is such a device.
Right, as long as it's easily removed and doesn't provide an incentive for smashing and grabbing, I'm all for it.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
They are cheap and not a big resale market for them imo. Iā€™ve had one in each car parked outside and no problem. For the garmin you can disable speed recording but leave location on. The mini2 in the mustang is pretty discreet and has updates with red light cam and speed cam database. Also run Uniden r7 but that comes inside with me. More of a market for that.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
No it's the right word. I had a CHP motocop pull up next to me and stare me down. Total dickhead.
So if Joe citizen pulls up next to you and stares u down, is that person a total dickhead too?

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
They are cheap and not a big resale market for them imo. Iā€™ve had one in each car parked outside and no problem. For the garmin you can disable speed recording but leave location on. The mini2 in the mustang is pretty discreet and has updates with red light cam and speed cam database. Also run Uniden r7 but that comes inside with me. More of a market for that.
To be 100% clear, I'm not worried about the dashcam itself being stolen. But in my area, it's not uncommon for roving bands of thieves to sweep through a neighborhood and smash/grab to get at anything that even looks like it might be valuable.
Sponsored