Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Nothing like making payments on active corrosion from OEM 😩
PXL_20221024_213454039.jpg

I am the second owner and the manufacturer warranty is up so now begs the question!
Which magnetic owner will leave cars and coffee so I can get a donor hood 😂
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Unfortunately it's a known issue. Luckily I got mine replaced 1 month before warranty expired.

OP
OP
baazooka

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Unfortunately it's a known issue. Luckily I got mine replaced 1 month before warranty expired.
Yep, had a spot done a few weeks after I got it with at 15k miles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Since you are past the Paint & Corrosion Warranty - I'll suggest that the quickest fix is to look online for a used hood in the same color that doesn't have any issues/damages.

I say the above because sometimes it's a less expensive route than having to go through a body shop. Also an original factory color matched hood in many instances has barely any difference in paint variation/mix, as opposed to someone having to mix then try to blend to the fenders (more so with a 3-stage metallic paint).

That corrosion will only get much worse and eventually flake.

OP
OP
baazooka

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Since you are past the Paint & Corrosion Warranty - I'll suggest that the quickest fix is to look online for a used hood in the same color that doesn't have any issues/damages.

I say the above because sometimes it's a less expensive route than having to go through a body shop. Also an original factory color matched hood in many instances has barely any difference in paint variation/mix, as opposed to someone having to mix then try to blend to the fenders (more so with a 3-stage metallic paint).

That corrosion will only get much worse and eventually flake.
I agree the only real option is a replacement. Trying to do another repair on that aluminum stuff just sounds like a bad time.

Once it gets bad enough, I'll spend the money, in the meantime I haven't had much luck finding an undamaged replacement, much less the right color.

And so! Who would like to leave cars and coffee next? :crackup: make sure you get the rear end out, which will hit the most onlookers, (asking for a friend).

Sponsored

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 2017 Focus RS
Nothing like making payments on active corrosion from OEM 😩
PXL_20221024_213454039.jpg

I am the second owner and the manufacturer warranty is up so now begs the question!
Which magnetic owner will leave cars and coffee so I can get a donor hood 😂

Where is this on the hood? It looks like it is on the leading edge of the hood. I just got a MY22 GT so that will be something to watch for. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
baazooka

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Where is this on the hood? It looks like it is on the leading edge of the hood. I just got a MY22 GT so that will be something to watch for. Thanks in advance!
That's on the front drivers side, but check the entire lip, I have several spots on my hood. You have until 2027 (5 years) to get a free hood from ford, so keep an eye on it. There's a ton of good threads on it with bulletins and conditions on here.

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
That's on the front drivers side, but check the entire lip, I have several spots on my hood. You have until 2027 (5 years) to get a free hood from ford, so keep an eye on it. There's a ton of good threads on it with bulletins and conditions on here.
Understood. Something to keep an eye on for sure. I also read that there are paint issues with mirrors as well. I'll take a look at the paint threads.
Thanks!

OP
OP
baazooka

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Understood. Something to keep an eye on for sure. I also read that there are paint issues with mirrors as well. I'll take a look at the paint threads.
Thanks!
The paint sucks for these cars (and many others) if you are worried about chips and stuff, definitely look into clear bra/ceramic

Entreaken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
The paint sucks for these cars (and many others) if you are worried about chips and stuff, definitely look into clear bra/ceramic
Yeah, Ford paint in general isn't the best quality. I am getting a full ceramic treatment done for the GT as well as my 2017 RS in a couple of weeks. I tend to keep cars for the long haul so I think doing the paint coatings are a good way to try to keep the car looking good for as long as possible.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Just found this thread. As I read thru saw mention of aluminum. Has this corrosion been linked to dissimilar metals sort of corrosion?

OP
OP
baazooka

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
dissimilar metals sort of corrosion?
I actually know very little about it, from what I understand its a contamination issue involved in the preparation phase of painting, may be what you are talking about.
Thanks for the reply! Read quite a bit of your posts before

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I actually know very little about it, from what I understand its a contamination issue involved in the preparation phase of painting, may be what you are talking about.
Thanks for the reply! Read quite a bit of your posts before
Hello; The idea is two different metals touching have different basic ways of moving electrons around. One metal will corrode while the other does not. On out board boat motors and in home water heaters a zinc bit of metal is often attached. Called a sacrificial anode. The zinc will corrode and the other meta does not. Often it is when the anode is corroded away that the inside walls of a water heater will rust.
Anyway, I have wondered how aluminum body panels work with steel bolts, screws and other steel parts of a car. I may be way off on my thinking on this and do not actually know what causes the corrosion.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
On my Lincoln LS, it was iron particles not being washed off the aluminum correctly.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Its not corrosion, its character. LOL I think they call it elegant patina.
Sponsored