Sponsored

Tips on how to control yourself when people try to race you?

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
When i first bought the car i thought it was cool that other cars thought they could try it. Especially when i got to see what they were driving. I'll admit i have raced my car a few times against others, out of sheer principle.. LOL But most times i just remember the price of gas, and the price i had paid to get my motor refreshed. Now days if i am approached for a race, i ask if they are stock.. if they are i just say it wouldn't be a fair race and give a thumbs up.
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
People pull up beside me all of the time wanting to race or have me rev the engine. The one's I've experienced doing stuff like that will usually tell me that my car is one that they've always wanted or liked. So it's an attainability thing for many who bother us. Many don't realize that we work hard to play hard until they talk with us and approach with some sense
Exactly. My reaction was always to roll down the window and give a thumbs up, not a race. I get those too. My wife gets a lot more looks than I do when she drives, a woman behind the wheel of a modded GT turns heads.

Recently I was driving and came up on a 392 Challenger wide body, battleship gray. I rolled up beside him at about 50mph, and rolled the pass window down. He wouldn't look at me for a sec lol, and then I said "nice widebody" because I love the look. He said thanks and then we just cruised on. I wasn't going to race, the cars a basically equal, and what's the point?

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Nobody pays attention to my mustangā€¦ when Iā€™m driving the Sti I do see that behaviorā€¦ mustang not so much. The gtr gets more attention but not many people try to race it.

what i do notice is that is always the shitty cars the ones driving like crazyā€¦ always a nissan altima or something like that

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Nobody pays attention to my mustangā€¦ when Iā€™m driving the Sti I do see that behaviorā€¦ mustang not so much. The gtr gets more attention but not many people try to race it.

what i do notice is that is always the shitty cars the ones driving like crazyā€¦ always a nissan altima or something like that
I've had more nissans and G35-type cars try and mess with me lol.

Replicator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (RS3 Clone)
I think it's mostly the Chrysler/Dodge crowd around here. Doesn't matter if it's Jeep, Ram, Charger, Challenger, 300(lol) they will try and get a rouse out of you. Just remember some asshat in a boat isn't worth potentially shortening your cars or even your own lifespan. Now give me a Hellcat/Demon on an empty divided 4 lane. Hell yeah, let's go.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What helps me is to think about it like this: you don't have anything to prove by racing someone clearly slower, they do. So, in other words, you have nothing to gain and everything to lose. That idiot will tell his friends he won whether you dusted him or not.

I'm no saint and I'll have fun but I'm wary of anything at a stop light because people go into lizard brain mode and lose control of their car. I don't want to be their stop.

To that extension, never do the follow the leader crap. It's way too risky to either get rear ended, rear end someone, or at best eat a ton of rocks on our fragile paint.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
This happens in my town nearly every time I drive around. V6 Camaros always be bugging but the worse ones are always trucks. Either the diesel coal rolling ones or the ass dragging lower ones that just cammed their engine for the sound. Always bugging at every light in full traffic with 35 mph areas. It's annoying af. The wife will take the car to do a quick errand & sure enough. She'll be me letting me know when she gets back that some can't ass dragging truck was bugging her all the way to the store. If by any chance they do happen to end up next to me on a light, I do fancy them a Rev or 2. Act like I'm gonna take off on green, & watch them squiggle away from me. Every now & then I'll get a dirty mad dog look at the next light, cracks me up every time. Although there is an SS I been wanting to catch. But I'll just ask him to go out of town a ways. Won't ever race on a crowded street or in town.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a mixed experience since owning my 21 GT/CS (1 year old this week BTW šŸ˜€)
Had a father/young son in a newer Camaro pull up to me when I first got it and exchange niceties.
No hint of racing and I was not looking for it either. Just a couple of car guys admiring their rides.

Second time I was sitting at a red light and a new Explorer ST pulls to my left. Light turned green and he jumped on it. Had me by at least a length before I realized I was racing. When I hit second I felt the rear swing out so I shut it down. Got a little squirrely.... Auto will take me every time in my MT82. My 65yo reflexes just aint what they used to be.

A few weeks ago some challenger was tailing me and caught up to me through traffic. Got right on my ass. When I got on the highway I just hit it and left him a few lengths behind just to shake him off. Shut it down around 85 and let him fly by. Told myself to just let these idiots go.

Last Sunday was the best. I was going to pickup dinner and some 20 something in a Audi pulls up to me at a light and yells over..."Hey you want to go?" I just said no man...its all you and pulled away slowly. Last thing I need is a ticket or running my stang into a tree. Its just not worth it on the street. I keep telling myself those days of street racing are over. Just want to enjoy the ride.šŸ˜€

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I virtually never get that here in Toronto. Maybe Iā€™m driving in the wrong neighbourhood or at the wrong time. Maybe an Ecoboost convertible just doesnā€™t attract the attention. In any event, my first convertible over 30 years ago was a MG Midget, which, as the Brits would say, didnā€™t have enough power to pull the skin off of rice pudding. Thatā€™s when I coined the phrase, ā€œItā€™s not how fast you get there, itā€™s how you look when you arrive.ā€

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
In Canada, if you get caught doing an excessive speed it's pretty serious.

Said with my best movie trailer guy voice.

"Imagine a world where the star is a 5.0 and not a Mustang but a local cop. He calls for a tow truck to take your cars away because you wanted to show that little smart ass kid with his Hellcat who was boss. Both cars slowly wheel onto the back of a flatbed and now you and the Hellcat owner are exactly the same. Both walking your asses home"

Oh, not to mention the fines and court date.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
We all get tempted from time to time. Just remember to keep it friendly and donā€™t do anything you will regret. Thatā€™s what race tracks are for. šŸ™‚

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I've had a mixed experience since owning my 21 GT/CS (1 year old this week BTW šŸ˜€)
Had a father/young son in a newer Camaro pull up to me when I first got it and exchange niceties.
No hint of racing and I was not looking for it either. Just a couple of car guys admiring their rides.

Second time I was sitting at a red light and a new Explorer ST pulls to my left. Light turned green and he jumped on it. Had me by at least a length before I realized I was racing. When I hit second I felt the rear swing out so I shut it down. Got a little squirrely.... Auto will take me every time in my MT82. My 65yo reflexes just aint what they used to be.

A few weeks ago some challenger was tailing me and caught up to me through traffic. Got right on my ass. When I got on the highway I just hit it and left him a few lengths behind just to shake him off. Shut it down around 85 and let him fly by. Told myself to just let these idiots go.

Last Sunday was the best. I was going to pickup dinner and some 20 something in a Audi pulls up to me at a light and yells over..."Hey you want to go?" I just said no man...its all you and pulled away slowly. Last thing I need is a ticket or running my stang into a tree. Its just not worth it on the street. I keep telling myself those days of street racing are over. Just want to enjoy the ride.šŸ˜€
Good idea, it's been decades but my memory of the NJ State Troopers just had no sense of fun or humor. On the flipside it's totally tempting when you "know" under your right foot is major HP with a great stock suspension in various drive modes and all it takes is a little push. What holds me back is knowing I can do that in a safe controlled setting later (track) and the idea I'd never, never want to be that person who caused some innocent other party to be injured or worse because I couldn't handle my car on a public road.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I also want to add that some people just drive like that. The woman I'm currently dating is a good example. She drives a little impreza and is constantly gassing it at every light. She's completely oblivious to the intentions of others and just likes doing it.

I also ran into a jeep who kept launching at every light, tires chirping and all (we were at quite a few together). It was odd, and kinda reminded me of the first time I drove stick. I asked her wtf, at the next light, and turns out she was brand new at stick and didn't know any better nor had anyone to help. We pulled into a parking lot where I gave her some pointers, and that was that. No idea if it amounted to anything but she was thankful for the crash course.
Sponsored