Anybody seen the LA news today?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The same way you plan a trip so you know there’s a gas station nearby when you’ll need it. There’s still parts of the country you can drive a hundred miles and never see a gas station. Granted many of those are back roads or gravel, but the point remains, you still have to do some planning when you go for a long drive. It isn’t suddenly the government’s responsibility to make sure you have a charging station every 5 miles.
Hello; I drove to Demming New Mexico from Indianapolis IN back in 1987. I drove from Harlan KY to Texas and up thru Colorado by way of northern New Mexico in the early 1990's. Never once planned my routes to find gas stations. They were always around.
I cannot recall a time I had to plan about finding gas other than the mid 1970's during the first oil embargo. I was lucky to own a 1972 Porsche 914 with the 1.7 liter engine and a 16 gallon fuel tank. It would get at or above 40 MPG when driven calmly so I could go over 500 miles. I was often driving from Harlan KY to Indianapolis to see my father. About 350 miles one way. Back then there were restrictions on getting fuel for a spell.

I get that it may be possible to plan an EV trip but let us not pretend the public charging options are as wide spread as gas stations. The EV agenda is being pushed by some in power in spite of the many issues which surround them. Many of the reasons behind the EV push have little or nothing to do with the EV technology being a "better" replacement for the ICE vehicles. Those on the bandwagon of the EV push seem to be turning a blind eye to the limitations of the EV's as they currently exist.
The EV cannot compete head to head with a modern ICE so the playing field is artificially being altered by policies which have pushed the cost of ICE fuels. Even so I do not yet see the EV being more cost effective to own over an ICE.

I have posted the Volvo study in links which show it takes driving an EV around 68,000 miles to break even with an equivalent ICE. I have saved those links if anyone needs to see them again.

I also found an article explaining as to how on a trip charging at public chargers did wind up costing the driver more than it would have to drive his ICE. That link is somewhere on this site and may not apply with the recent gas prices. But driving up the price of gas and diesel is part of the "green" plan is it not?
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I really haven't been following it much, but isn't the power grid already overloaded out there?

We normally have rolling black outs during summer as everyone has their ac on.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
We normally have rolling black outs during summer as everyone has their ac on.
Hello; In my area in the peak heat days of summer the TV news will plead for us to cut back on electric use at times. Same for really cold winter spells. Been that way for a long time.

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
just wondering if there are any unintended consequences to all of these electric vehicles in a way that many may not have noticed yet... I'm noticing the Curb Weights of these vehicles are Massive. Hummer is 9,000+LB, Silverado 8900 LB, Model 3, 4,000-4200LB, (400 more then a vehicle its same size), Model X 5300-5500 (a car similar in size is 4,800-5,000 LB.)

I am just wondering if introducing these vehicles and mixing them into regular traffic will have a more negative impact on car accidents. all the extra weight being thrown around when crashed? are these vehicles any more or less safe then the rest?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
just wondering if there are any unintended consequences to all of these electric vehicles in a way that many may not have noticed yet... I'm noticing the Curb Weights of these vehicles are Massive. Hummer is 9,000+LB, Silverado 8900 LB, Model 3, 4,000-4200LB, (400 more then a vehicle its same size), Model X 5300-5500 (a car similar in size is 4,800-5,000 LB.)

I am just wondering if introducing these vehicles and mixing them into regular traffic will have a more negative impact on car accidents. all the extra weight being thrown around when crashed? are these vehicles any more or less safe then the rest?
That's a good point. I've also thought about HAZMAT and clean-up after the accidents.

Reading your post also made me think of weights and road wear and tear. Construction traffic in our area the last two years has F-d up many of the access roads, typically not in the form of potholes, but large depressions in the pavement.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Hello; Another point posted in a different thread is how the EV burns. takes a very large amount of water to put the fire out. ICE maybe 600to 900 gallons. EV 25,000 and more.

The extra weight will wear out tires, brakes, suspension bushings, shocks and such. Impact on road surfaces is less clear as roads are built to handle heavy trucks. That said the semi's will be very much heavier when they run on batteries.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hello; I drove to Demming New Mexico from Indianapolis IN back in 1987. I drove from Harlan KY to Texas and up thru Colorado by way of northern New Mexico in the early 1990's. Never once planned my routes to find gas stations. They were always around.
I cannot recall a time I had to plan about finding gas other than the mid 1970's during the first oil embargo. I was lucky to own a 1972 Porsche 914 with the 1.7 liter engine and a 16 gallon fuel tank. It would get at or above 40 MPG when driven calmly so I could go over 500 miles. I was often driving from Harlan KY to Indianapolis to see my father. About 350 miles one way. Back then there were restrictions on getting fuel for a spell.

I get that it may be possible to plan an EV trip but let us not pretend the public charging options are as wide spread as gas stations. The EV agenda is being pushed by some in power in spite of the many issues which surround them. Many of the reasons behind the EV push have little or nothing to do with the EV technology being a "better" replacement for the ICE vehicles. Those on the bandwagon of the EV push seem to be turning a blind eye to the limitations of the EV's as they currently exist.
The EV cannot compete head to head with a modern ICE so the playing field is artificially being altered by policies which have pushed the cost of ICE fuels. Even so I do not yet see the EV being more cost effective to own over an ICE.

I have posted the Volvo study in links which show it takes driving an EV around 68,000 miles to break even with an equivalent ICE. I have saved those links if anyone needs to see them again.

I also found an article explaining as to how on a trip charging at public chargers did wind up costing the driver more than it would have to drive his ICE. That link is somewhere on this site and may not apply with the recent gas prices. But driving up the price of gas and diesel is part of the "green" plan is it not?
Ok but that doesn’t make you the norm lol. I plan my gas stops when I go on trips, because that’s just how I am. No one is pretending, I agree with everything else you said other than the “can’t compete with ICE”….that was a very ambiguous statement.
I’m trying to produce contextualization based on facts and upcoming tech, not on emotional or bombastic assumptions. At the risk of repeating myself, EVs are here to stay and ICE is on the way out. That may be a painful reality for many folks, but putting our heads in the sand won’t stop it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ok but that doesn’t make you the norm lol. I plan my gas stops when I go on trips, because that’s just how I am. No one is pretending, I agree with everything else you said other than the “can’t compete with ICE”….that was a very ambiguous statement.
I’m trying to produce contextualization based on facts and upcoming tech, not on emotional or bombastic assumptions. At the risk of repeating myself, EVs are here to stay and ICE is on the way out. That may be a painful reality for many folks, but putting our heads in the sand won’t stop it.
Hello; Some In this thread and in detail in other threads on this site the flaws of an EV have been spelled out. My basic observation that an EV cannot yet compete is not ambiguous. That a road trip in an EV needs to be planned for charging stops is just one bit of how the EV cannot compete.

Let me throw in a person who lives in an apartment with no outside charging at home and is forced to have an EV. The ICE wins that scenario hands down.

Hello; let me edit and add that most everyone I know and have known since I started driving in 1963 does not plan a trip around gas stations. We used road maps when going into new areas but had no need to plan a road because of gas stations. Maybe some folks out west back in the day had to know the lonely stretches.
I will ask again. How do we get a can of electricity if we run dry of juice on the side of the road?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, all the big cities in TX are very blue. It’s the rural folks that are the holdouts.

BTW: The “Don’t mess with Texas” mantra is an anti-littering campaign.
https://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/
That is generally true with counties that have a large population. Also along the Texas/Mexican border. It isn’t a life goal of most ppl here to live in the big city but genenerally they do it for economic reasons such as being close to employment opportunities, public transit, shopping, etc. I live in a red county just outside of it all, and can’t wait until retirement. Don’t care if I ever set foot in Dallas after that.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
EVs are coming regardless, either accept it or fight it to the bitter end. In the end it all won’t matter, ICE will be in museums, very similar to the horse and buggy.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Hello; Some In this thread and in detail in other threads on this site the flaws of an EV have been spelled out. My basic observation that an EV cannot yet compete is not ambiguous. That a road trip in an EV needs to be planned for charging stops is just one bit of how the EV cannot compete.

Let me throw in a person who lives in an apartment with no outside charging at home and is forced to have an EV. The ICE wins that scenario hands down.

Hello; let me edit and add that most everyone I know and have known since I started driving in 1963 does not plan a trip around gas stations. We used road maps when going into new areas but had no need to plan a road because of gas stations. Maybe some folks out west back in the day had to know the lonely stretches.
I will ask again. How do we get a can of electricity if we run dry of juice on the side of the road?
The flaws aren’t in the EV, they are in the support structure. And again, it’s seems you’re basing your responses on your subjective opinion. You keep responding as if it’s my job to justify the existence of EVs, it is not. But since you asked, in many northern states apartment buildings have electrical outlets by the parking spaces for people to plug their engine heaters into. We can do this all day where you complain about an EV support structure not being available (now) and I can tell you how they fix that.

EVs are coming, ICE will go the way of the dinosaur, it’s inevitable.

Calif-GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange (1 of 480)
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine back in 1910 a bunch of guys sitting around the Saloon talking about "That gas powered buggy is never gonna replace my horse. Just feed it and it runs all day" Lol

As a Californian, I can appreciated the legislation that gets car companies moving toward EV or Hydrogen or whatever. But I guarantee you by 2035 we will have had 2 new Governors and that legislation will get pushed out for sure.

On a side note . . . Why the Hell can't ford put a 1000hp Tesla equivalent drive train in the current Mustang/Shelby body style? Instead they create a 4-door SUV with triple tail lights and call that a "Mustang"

Put a Tesla Plaid Drive Train in a GT350/500 platform and I would buy one!
Sponsored

Last edited: