OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Sorry that did come off as harsh, but it seemed to be common sense to me once I figured it out when the car was new. The fact it was a learning experience is all that matters!

The main thing you need to keep in mind is the coyote has a powerband that favors high rpm, so cruising at low rpm in 6th gear equals high rpm and max torque in 2nd/3rd gear when you floor it. Cruising at low rpm and then flooring it is what is dangerous.

For new people, the trick is you need to learn the vehicle. The speed that it is currently going and most importantly the gear you are currently in! If you know you are in a higher gear just cruising, then you know there is a lot of gears the tranny will want to skip when you floor it; so don't! Drop gears manually first, or find a way to communicate to the car that you'll be going wot soon. Change drive modes or stab the throttle a few times to force it to drop gears

Downshift on these are killer. It helps a lot to have some kind of indicator of what gear your auto is currently in.
illadvised you are 110% correct in your synopsis of the situation as it occurred. Loafing along in a higher gear at 45 mph just waiting for a chance to get around a slowpoke and I took it reflexively. And your description of what happens is spot on. Being in my 70s and having had fast cars my whole life, plus being still blessed with good reflexes I never thought there was much left that I needed to learn. But I was wrong and it’s gonna take more than 2500 miles to learn this car. It’s really overall maybe the most exciting vehicle I’ve ever owned. Not necessarily straight out the fastest, but real fast nevertheless and never a dull moment. I love this thing!

I’m reminded of a close friend who has had more fast cars than I have and is a far better driver than I’ll ever be. He’s been to all the schools, has 3 Porsches, you name it. A few years back just before the new Corvette came out he wound up with a new Z06. He kept telling me how the car was virtually uncontrollable at any speed. 100+ you punch it, it’s gonna get real loose quickly. He got rid of it within a week or two and told me that the best way to describe it was that the car was “constantly trying to kill you”. Even the best of us can still learn I suppose.
Sponsored

Topblissgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is our legacy......

Its like theres a whole generation who don’t know how to pedal a car. Its nuts. Ive driven a hundred cars for 40+ years and did a million burnouts. Never once lost control 🤦‍♂️Soon as it gets crossed up to a point, let off. Its simple

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Cruising at low rpm and then flooring it is what is dangerous.
Yes. Coyote is like a 2-stroke.. nothing, nothing, nothing, then holy shit! Shit! SHIT! once those rev get around 5000.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Yes. Coyote is like a 2-stroke.. nothing, nothing, nothing, then holy shit! Shit! SHIT! once those rev get around 5000.
Bingo ;)

The trick is, you need to force the car into getting into the gear where you are able to safely "roll into the throttle."

Rpms need to be high. The gear you need changes, always depends on your current speed, but just downshift to the gear you need to skirt traction issues lol

Keep it geared long as shit and drive with adv track off always

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Bingo ;)

The trick is, you need to force the car into getting into the gear where you are able to safely "roll into the throttle."

Rpms need to be high. The gear you need changes, always depends on your current speed, but just downshift to the gear you need to skirt traction issues lol

Keep it geared long as shit and drive with adv track off always
ill, please explain why you say keep advance track (ESC) off always. And what about TC?

Opinions seem to differ on this and I could use some clarity.

Sponsored

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
Just treat the gas pedal like there’s an egg between your foot and the pedal that you

1. Don’t want to crack
2. Don’t want to fall

and you likely won’t have a problem

Tc off will let it spin but not step sideways. Advance trac off let’s it step out but it CAN still intervene

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I must be doing something wrong, I haven't gotten my rear end to kick out and go out of control even once in 2 years and 14K miles.... I feel like a failed Mustang driver :crackup:

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
ill, please explain why you say keep advance track (ESC) off always. And what about TC?
For me, both are the same switch. Press it once to turn off traction control, and hold it 5 or so seconds and it turns off advancetrac.

I just leave mine off because it is easier to read the car with it geared long. Leaving advtrac off is a non issue when driving like normal in regular drive mode, you won't notice; and you shouldn't halfass show-off sporty driving.

In sport/track mode with it off, downshift first and you'll figure out throttle control better and it's easier for you to roll into the throttle, plus it seems to drive smoother/faster? Learn to switch between 2 different driving modes

Maybe it makes a bigger difference with the blower though

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I have also never have had traction / out of control issues with any mustangs... even with the old 90's ones with the live axle. No problems.

I too turn my TC and ESC off very often. Makes the car feel more free - and to me, MORE predictable. - That is to say, I feel like the fun limiters are not consistent in how they are applied.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Personally speaking I don't want a sports car that I can't get sideways. Always remembering however that getting sideways can quickly turn into upside down.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I must be doing something wrong, I haven't gotten my rear end to kick out and go out of control even once in 2 years and 14K miles.... I feel like a failed Mustang driver :crackup:
No, you just got a proper gearbox, try adding some boost to the mix 😁

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
I'm totally out of it when people laugh and scream at something that could kill someone. My friend died in a Hemi Challenger years ago not knowing how. Not to be a downer but the guy is an idiot and a few other things. Nice car though.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Its like theres a whole generation who don’t know how to pedal a car. Its nuts. Ive driven a hundred cars for 40+ years and did a million burnouts. Never once lost control 🤦‍♂️Soon as it gets crossed up to a point, let off. Its simple

When I see videos like that I don't mainly think "don't know how to drive", I think "what an idiot to even try something like that in a crowd".

Unless you really are a pro, to the level you get or did get paid for doing stuff like that, doing stuff like that in a crowd is nothing but idiotic, no matter how good you think you are. These idiots need a trackday with real drivers to understand how bad of a driver they are compared to genuinely good drivers (I go to track every 2-3 months and get my ego lowered more than a few notches every time).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
No, you just got a proper gearbox, try adding some boost to the mix 😁
LOL,

Or 40+ years of driving performance cars, autocross, and tracking my cars back in the day have left the muscle memory that maximizes grip and speed... Spinning tires costs time and loses races.

IMO, you have to try real hard, extremely inexperienced, or be real dumb to make it on youtube. There are things that are instinctive and only come with experience. As a driver, and the car itself...... Wait for tires to warm up, Being connected to and knowing your car and know when to lift, Light smooth actions and counter steering correctly in conjunction with judicious go pedal use.

I drive in track mode and all nannies off all the time, and frequently take the car to the limit. I haven't found the right place to push it hard enough for things to go awry i.e. swapping directional ends of the car, or going off road unintentionally. I almost want to try, but in a controlled environment that won't end in an insurance claim.

All that said, transitions from 'power sliding' the rear out and back in line are not as intuitive and easy than my E36 M3 was, but I had the car for 20 years and the suspension was modified and dialed in. I'd also say that the squishy rear suspension bushings introduce some of the issues and unpredictability of the S550 rear end as the torsion diff adjusts to changing traction available. Adding the Steeda IRS braces have helped, and the 'collars' that take the slop out of the cradle bushings will also help.
Sponsored