kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Hey All,

Can't find any dyno sheets besides a single one posted by hellion that doesn't show torque. Anyone have one from a 2016 Cobra Jet or from a similar combo?

For reference, 2016 Cobra Jet was basically a coyote aluminator with 9.5:1, "cobra jet cams", and a gen iv 2.9 whipple.

Besides dyno sheets, what do you think the max power that combo is capable of, and what do think the limiting factor would be? My guess is either the gen 2 coyote thin bore liner, or the 2.9 whipple maxing out.

Thanks
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Low comp aluminator with a 2.9 I'd say 1100whp is possible at full rip.

Many think the cobra jet engine specs are what the race cars actually run. Far from it....

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
Hey All,

Can't find any dyno sheets besides a single one posted by hellion that doesn't show torque. Anyone have one from a 2016 Cobra Jet or from a similar combo?

For reference, 2016 Cobra Jet was basically a coyote aluminator with 9.5:1, "cobra jet cams", and a gen iv 2.9 whipple.

Besides dyno sheets, what do you think the max power that combo is capable of, and what do think the limiting factor would be? My guess is either the gen 2 coyote thin bore liner, or the 2.9 whipple maxing out.

Thanks
Best way to find max power would be to see what weight and mph they ran and go from there. There are several that ran in NMCA and NMRA. Find them in that year because in the later years, I'm sure they upgraded their Whipples.

OP
OP
kngklla

kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Best way to find max power would be to see what weight and mph they ran and go from there. There are several that ran in NMCA and NMRA. Find them in that year because in the later years, I'm sure they upgraded their Whipples.
finding videos online isn’t hard, but knowing what they weighed is tough. Supposedly they had to weigh 3550 and I’ve found one video that claims to be from an nmca event where it went 161…so that would put it around 1150 or so it seems

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Many think the cobra jet engine specs are what the race cars actually run. Far from it....
Exactly! Cobrajets have gone over 180mph in NMCA Factory Supercar class. None of those cars run the engines as they came from Ford or Chevy/Dodge for that matter.

From what I've heard, If a new Cobrajet costs $100k, you better double that price if you want to be competitive.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Exactly! Cobrajets have gone over 180mph in NMCA Factory Supercar class. None of those cars run the engines as they came from Ford or Chevy/Dodge for that matter.

From what I've heard, If a new Cobrajet costs $100k, you better double that price if you want to be competitive.
That's correct. Talking 1600whp. Lots of compression, lots of RPM and a new blower every weekend.

OP
OP
kngklla

kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Yea that’s another reason I’ve been hesitant to reference any video times, don’t know what’s been done. I know the earlier cobra jets would do 8’s around 154 as they came from ford, just not sure about the 2016 and importantly what the aluminator with a 2.9 can make for power and torque (in a repeatable manner, not going to blow the motor)

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
finding videos online isn’t hard, but knowing what they weighed is tough. Supposedly they had to weigh 3550 and I’ve found one video that claims to be from an nmca event where it went 161…so that would put it around 1150 or so it seems
To find out weight I always go to class rules. 3550 seems pretty close to me.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Yea that’s another reason I’ve been hesitant to reference any video times, don’t know what’s been done. I know the earlier cobra jets would do 8’s around 154 as they came from ford, just not sure about the 2016 and importantly what the aluminator with a 2.9 can make for power and torque (in a repeatable manner, not going to blow the motor)
Are you planning a build with a gen2 coyote and a 2.9 whipple?

OP
OP
kngklla

kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Yea I have a cobra jet longblock. Planning to put a T56 Magnum behind it. Trying to determine which clutch to go with and whether I need to go with something like a Tick upgraded level 4 or 5 magnum or if it’s sufficient the way it comes from tremec.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Yea I have a cobra jet longblock. Planning to put a T56 Magnum behind it. Trying to determine which clutch to go with and whether I need to go with something like a Tick upgraded level 4 or 5 magnum or if it’s sufficient the way it comes from tremec.
A Cobra Jet long block? I wouldn't reference any CJ times. With a T56, bottom 10s you'd be doing good.

OP
OP
kngklla

kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Yea I’m not concerned much with ET, really just curious about the power so I can make a wise decision when it comes to trans and clutch. Any thoughts on what to go with? It’s all going in a 2600lb street car.

I’m thinking Tick level 4 with a mantic twin disc. I want to make sure I have a clutch that will give out before the trans ever does. I also like that mantic offers a spring cerametallic for better street manners.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Yea I’m not concerned much with ET, really just curious about the power so I can make a wise decision when it comes to trans and clutch. Any thoughts on what to go with? It’s all going in a 2600lb street car.

I’m thinking Tick level 4 with a mantic twin disc. I want to make sure I have a clutch that will give out before the trans ever does. I also like that mantic offers a spring cerametallic for better street manners.
I have no idea, hopefully some of the manual folks can chime in.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a Magnum XL that D&D put carbon fiber syncro's in and brass shifting pads before it left. I used a Mantic Triple Disc to hold the power. It worked great, but is def a tedious process setting it up. Mantic Clutches are great, but it cost some coin, like anything else quality. 2600lbs will def help you. Mine was a 3960lb S550. The one thing about a triple is it gives you room to grow. I assume you already have a 2.9 Whipple, because its outdated as compared to the newer blowers? 3.0 is a huge improvement over the 2.9, especially if it's ported.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Another clutch option is a sprung hub McLeod RXT or RXT 1200 twin disc. Just need to run the shorter GT500 slave. I’m running one with my Magnum XL and Gen5 3.0 whipple.
Sponsored