Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
So many tidbits of wasted words scattered throughout the text. Am I supposed to know these obscure references and chuckle at them? Get to the goddamned point in the article.
I love the reference.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
You mean this:

The mustang IRS just doesn't look that great. Almost looks like it has a tendency to hop and isn't as planted as the camaro.
I really hate the camaro interior. Looks like a 10 year old designed it. The mustang is a better overall looking car, exterior and interior. Looks like they need to stiffen up the IRS though.
A few hundred extra pounds certainly does hurt there, and for what it's worth...I've read as many articles stating that wheel hop isn't as issue as I have ones that say that it is. Maybe it's not as cut-and-dry as you'd like to believe.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
You mean this:
The mustang IRS just doesn't look that great. Almost looks like it has a tendency to hop and isn't as planted as the camaro.
The mustang is a better overall looking car, exterior and interior. Looks like they need to stiffen up the IRS though.
Huh?:crazy::headbonk:

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Well that was a good article, and very interesting with the 1le numbers. If you matched them tire for tire looks like the PP would win handily. Good stuff.

Sponsored

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
So many tidbits of wasted words scattered throughout the text. Am I supposed to know these obscure references and chuckle at them? Get to the goddamned point in the article.
Come on, these guys aren't technical writers; they're writing for an entertainment magazine/website. The purpose is to get people to enjoy reading and be entertained (so they buy more), not to give them a bland information dump.

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No one has mentioned how dammed good that White GT looks compared to those really expensive cars. Seeing it in person was an eye opener. Seeing it with these cars is a jaw dropper.

We have a White PP GT manual with red interior I'm actually suprised it hasn't sold yet.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The most troubling thing for me about muscle cars is that we haven't gone as far as we think we have over the past 15 years. In 1998 we had the LS1 camaro/firebird (350HP) that ran low 13s in the quarter. We had the 03/04 Cobra which needs no introduction.

In 2015 we have cars that run high 12s/13.0s. We added over 50-100HP but marginally made the cars any faster. Sure the interior refinement is great now. Meanwhile the Germans and Italians have pushed from 13/14 second quarter mile cars to now having 10-12 second quarter mile cars. They've just done a far better job at improving than we have.

I remember when you could beat a 360 Modena or a 911 Porsche (996) with some american muscle, but not anymore. And yes I'm ignoring the ZL1 or GT500 because those were never the cars normal people could afford back in the day. $35k was always around the number for the cars I am comparing.
And how much are those foreign tag cars that run in the 10-12 second range?

In 1998 a well optioned LS1 Z28 was $24,400. In 2014 dollars, adjusted for inflation, that same car would have a sticker price of $35,650. That's roughly only $3,000 than a 2SS Camaro today, and the 2SS has more power, better fuel economy, more refined, more stable, an IRS, better entertainment, a HUD...

Take for example the 2004 Mach 1 with its rip-roaring 300 HP 4V 4.6, it would run low 13's in the quarter, had a 5 speed, etc, and had a sticker price then of $39,410. In todays dollars that would be $49,660. Today you can get a GT Premium PP, with an IRS, 435 HP, 6 speed, heated/cooled seats, etc, for $40,000 that will run high 12's.

In reality..adjusted for inflation the cars have gotten better and are cheaper on average. A base GT, non PP will beat a Mach 1 soundly in every way and cost, adjusted for inflation, $15,000 less.

basicwizz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4
Not sure I would consider the STi an "exotic" but very cool for the Mustang GT to be in this list!

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
I'm not sure how you're getting the Mustang was 3rd. They listed the finalists in reverse order of their position: Ferrari 458 (3rd), Mustang GT(2nd), Porsche 911(1st). The pictures were out of order to the text, but the text is likely the proper order.

Not that it really matters, I know how good the car is, but finishing behind the Porsche doesn't seem like a loss.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
I'm not sure how you're getting the Mustang was 3rd. They listed the finalists in reverse order of their position: Ferrari 458 (3rd), Mustang GT(2nd), Porsche 911(1st). The pictures were out of order to the text, but the text is likely the proper order.

Not that it really matters, I know how good the car is, but finishing behind the Porsche doesn't seem like a loss.
Mustang got runner-up, 2nd place.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
1.58 seconds quicker lap than the Boss 302. Albeit not run on the same day, but worth noting.
That is what Ford said about the new GT and it turns out they weren't blowing smoke. The IRS and redesigned front suspension had to be almost all of that gap.

Ozymandias

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Kona Blue BBP
I enjoyed it but then again I got all of the references.

BTW, Peter Framton was a huge rock star in the 70s and his album "Framton Comes Alive!" was one of the biggest selling albums ever. A Les Paul is a guitar. The references aren't really obscure if you've been around the block a few times. I'm guessing you're too young to know all this though. :)

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
I enjoyed it but then again I got all of the references.

BTW, Peter Framton was a huge rock star in the 70s and his album "Framton Comes Alive!" was one of the biggest selling albums ever. A Les Paul is a guitar. The references aren't really obscure if you've been around the block a few times. I'm guessing you're too young to know all this though. :)
And a "pickup" is a tranducer that picks up the mechanical vibrations from the guitar strings and converts them to an electrical signal that then gets amplified. ;)

I've been reading the authors ( Jack Baruth ) work for a while now, and he's a good read. Races too.
Sponsored