Sponsored

i can’t be the only one who runs regular in a GT right?

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Just saved $7.00 by filling up with reg. vs prem. Let's see how the biatch behaves.. need to take the highway this afternoon. 🏎 🤪
Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Surprisingly, when we compared a tank of regular vs tank of premium on wife's F150 with the twin turbo V6, she got about 1.5mpg better with the premium than regular. At the time when I compared it price paid/per gallon/mileage, ended up being only about around $3-5 more for the 30gal tank. If I remember correctly that is :D

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Surprisingly, when we compared a tank of regular vs tank of premium on wife's F150 with the twin turbo V6, she got about 1.5mpg better with the premium than regular.
Someone linked a AAA study that said the F150 got the most gains from using 93 than any other car or truck.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Surprisingly, when we compared a tank of regular vs tank of premium on wife's F150 with the twin turbo V6, she got about 1.5mpg better with the premium than regular. At the time when I compared it price paid/per gallon/mileage, ended up being only about around $3-5 more for the 30gal tank. If I remember correctly that is :D
The power and mileage losses are much greater with turbo engines. I tried 87 once in my 15’ EB. Terrible. After that premium only.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
IMO, people who putting cheap gas in a high performance vehicle like the mustang is cheap ass people. You can give all the excuses you want, but that’s how I see it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
IMO, people who putting cheap gas in a high performance vehicle like the mustang is cheap ass people. You can give all the excuses you want, but that’s how I see it.
Then you need to get some glasses. A gas's Octane does not determine its quality. A Top Tier 87 may be superior to a low grade 91/93. Sorry but equating a persons willingness to spend more than may be necessary to being cheap is a ridiculous statement. I know this because I am cheap and buy 93 (at Costco). :giggle:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Then you need to get some glasses. A gas's Octane does not determine its quality. A Top Tier 87 may be superior to a low grade 91/93. Sorry but equating a persons willingness to spend more than may be necessary to being cheap is a ridiculous statement. I know this because I am cheap and buy 93 (at Costco). :giggle:
That's a false statement sir. There's no such thing as a "low grade" 91 or 93. That might have been the case decades ago when water would find its way into gasoline storage tanks underneath gas pumps and dilute the fuel or a fuel leak in the storage tank, but these days all of those storage tanks underneath gas pumps have alarms to prevent issue. Veeder-root is one such monitoring system. Plus, the EPA mandated a minimum level of detergent for all gas sold in the US as of 1996. All gas starts off the same (based on government regulations) running through the pipeline. Then a branded oil company gets their share via a terminal. Each branded oil company has their own additive package that's added in to the government regulated gas from the pipeline at the terminal.

When you buy from a store branded with a specific oil company like BP, or Exxon, that store has a brand contract with that oil company. That brand contract entitles you to several things including gas and advertising at your gas stations. Everywhere else that you buy fuel from is unbranded fuel. The gas stations with unbranded fuel buy their gas from the open market. A gas station may want to be unbranded because they want to buy the lowest price fuel they can get on the open market that day. These gas stations may have Exxon gas one day and Shell gas another day. That's what Costco does. Costco uses unbranded gas.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thread is getting funny now with 93 elitists wasting money
If I can afford it, then how is it wasting money ? Trust me, 300 extra bucks a year ain't gonna break this cowboys piggy bank.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That's what Costco does. Costco uses unbranded gas.
Right but costco has their own additive pack that they mix at the pump. So coctco always has costco gas.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Huh, interesting. Would explain it then!
Might need to do some googling of this.
JASON Fenske from engineering explained. He also had the Mustang in his video.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
"are." We are cheap ass people.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
That's a false statement sir. There's no such thing as a "low grade" 91 or 93. That might have been the case decades ago when water would find its way into gasoline storage tanks underneath gas pumps and dilute the fuel or a fuel leak in the storage tank, but these days all of those storage tanks underneath gas pumps have alarms to prevent issue. Veeder-root is one such monitoring system. Plus, the EPA mandated a minimum level of detergent for all gas sold in the US as of 1996. All gas starts off the same (based on government regulations) running through the pipeline. Then a branded oil company gets their share via a terminal. Each branded oil company has their own additive package that's added in to the government regulated gas from the pipeline at the terminal.

When you buy from a store branded with a specific oil company like BP, or Exxon, that store has a brand contract with that oil company. That brand contract entitles you to several things including gas and advertising at your gas stations. Everywhere else that you buy fuel from is unbranded fuel. The gas stations with unbranded fuel buy their gas from the open market. A gas station may want to be unbranded because they want to buy the lowest price fuel they can get on the open market that day. These gas stations may have Exxon gas one day and Shell gas another day. That's what Costco does. Costco uses unbranded gas.
interesting, did not know some of that. so what is the deal on certain gas stations having potentially contaminated gas? people have made the argument here in this thread that maybe certain lower volume stations may have a greater potential to have their tanks contaminated and therefore possibly dispensing "bad gas." is there much concern for this or are regulations adequate to prevent this? ensuring gas station operators follow the regulations or protocols for the gas is another story, im sure. just curious.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Right but costco has their own additive pack that they mix at the pump. So coctco always has costco gas.
I believe Lubrizol makes Costco's additive package. But yes, this additive package is mixed in at the gas station with their delivered gas. The whole thing is computerized until the system breaks lol.

None of this is to say Costco's gas is any better than Shell or Chevron or whoever. regular is regular, premium is premium. There isn't a miracle ingredient in their gas or anything. I usually use Costco gas because it's the cheapest around and because it's on my driving route to and from work. If the line is too long, I go to another gas station that's on my way to or from work.
Sponsored