Green Cats vs Catless for Weekend Car

Marco_C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am looking to acquire a set of LTH and was looking for opinions on whether its worth getting Kooks Green Cats vs Catless. I read that the max power the green cats can take are about 850+ HP. My car is currently stock, but will get a supercharger down the line (1 year later). Would the supercharger and E85 be too much for Green Cats? Will they melt? This is more a weekend car and sometimes drive to work, but won't be seeing much autocross for right now so it won't be getting pushed to its limits. Reducing the smell would be great, but not at the expense of melting or damaging the green cats, at that rate I would just go catless. Never owned any LTH and this is my first experience and want to make sure I get what I need before I go out of state to buy them. (Live in Cali)

Also, if I decide to get green cats and run 91 regular gas, will the cats be affected negatively without a tune? I plan on getting a tune regardless, (I would rather run LTH with a tune than without for sure) I am just curious.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I wouldn’t bother going catless in CA. Hell I wouldn’t even mess with long tubes. It’s been 12 years since I escaped but even back then it was way more trouble than it was worth. Unless something has changed and the state has relaxed on their smog enforcement (I highly doubt this lol) save yourself the hassle.

OP
OP
Marco_C

Marco_C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wouldn’t bother going catless in CA. Hell I wouldn’t even mess with long tubes. It’s been 12 years since I escaped but even back then it was way more trouble than it was worth. Unless something has changed and the state has relaxed on their smog enforcement (I highly doubt this lol) save yourself the hassle.
I hear you. Cops around my area don't really care so I thought I could get away with it, but I understand it's a big risk and PITA when caught.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you. Cops around my area don't really care so I thought I could get away with it, but I understand it's a big risk and PITA when caught.
I used to live in the Sacramento area and 10-15 years ago they were giving people all kinds of shit. I ended up getting sent to the state ref and had a court date all for a set of shorty headers. It’s a joke and a waste of time as we both know but the trouble they can put you through can cost a lot of money. No denying how good these cars sound opened up though!

OP
OP
Marco_C

Marco_C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I used to live in the Sacramento area and 10-15 years ago they were giving people all kinds of shit. I ended up getting sent to the state ref and had a court date all for a set of shorty headers. It’s a joke and a waste of time as we both know but the trouble they can put you through can cost a lot of money. No denying how good these cars sound opened up though!
I live in Oakland lol. I was thinking my active exhaust would tone down the noise level and conceal me a bit, but my bright Orange mustang I can't really hide. I am just wondering if the stock cats can deal with a whipple and E85. Maybe somebody can chime in.

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
I dont even live in CA (UT) and I am putting off headers because I dont want to deal with emissions here, even with cats! Cause the visual inspection will still see that I've installed headers.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Any LT headers will be illegal any cat but stock are illegal. That said you don’t have to smog a new car for 7 years. I live in California and have LT and free flow exhaust without any smog problems. You just have to know what you are doing

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any LT headers will be illegal any cat but stock are illegal. That said you don’t have to smog a new car for 7 years. I live in California and have LT and free flow exhaust without any smog problems. You just have to know what you are doing
Just curious, what’s your plan when you get caught at a red light with a cop behind you and he knows just enough that it shouldn’t be idling that loud and every other newer car he’s been behind doesn’t emit that smell? Now assume he’s had some training on spotting illegal mods. It’s a much bigger roll of the dice than anyone likes to talk about and the consequences of getting popped can be rough

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Just curious, what’s your plan when you get caught at a red light with a cop behind you and he knows just enough that it shouldn’t be idling that loud and every other newer car he’s been behind doesn’t emit that smell? Now assume he’s had some training on spotting illegal mods. It’s a much bigger roll of the dice than anyone likes to talk about and the consequences of getting popped can be rough
Active exhaust, a resonator and E85 could probably mask it quite well.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Active exhaust, a resonator and E85 could probably mask it quite well.
I don’t have experience with e85 so I couldn’t say. But I can say from experience that getting pulled over in CA without cats is not fun.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
E85 fixes the fumes

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I don’t have experience with e85 so I couldn’t say. But I can say from experience that getting pulled over in CA without cats is not fun.
See the problem is you pulled over so they were calm enough to look for small issues. If you would have ran then if they caught you, guns drawn, they would be looking for drugs or something and not notice you dont have cats... just for future advice.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See the problem is you pulled over so they were calm enough to look for small issues. If you would have ran then if they caught you, guns drawn, they would be looking for drugs or something and not notice you dont have cats... just for future advice.
Noted for next time lol
It was in a 01 2v with only exhaust and an intake so I could have ran but probably wouldn’t have outrun them :cwl:

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
E85 does not smell.