Sponsored

Installed ford racing oil-air separator, need help!

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Sounds completely backwoods, but a possible easy cheap fix to get you by - I’d use some JB Plasticweld, mix up the 2 compounds, wait a bit until it becomes a paste…sand the broken area (on TB plug) a tad….then try to put a decent pile/dab on the broken area trying to create a new stop (pile it up where the piece broke off, maybe with a toothpick? and let dry completely).
After it’s completely hardened, grab a small file, exacto knife, Dremel (cut off wheel for dremel to shape precisely), and shape the pile of JB accordingly until it gives a decent shape for the connector to lock over.

$7.00 and maybe 30 minutes (minus dry time)?

might be worth a try before dropping time/cash on a new TB.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-823...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276309083035&psc=1

That connector isn’t being tugged on, it just needs to be kept in place. Shouldn’t take much and would be unnoticeable to everyone, but you.
i considered that but my concern there is leaving a little too much material and damaging the connector when attempting to hook it back up. my throttle body problem could become a much bigger pain in the ass.

awesome. Thanks for the pics. Now at least the parts guy will know what I’m looking for.
i'm going by a dealer tonight to talk with one of the techs that they use for shelbys that come in. i'll see what he says about the piece you need. maybe he can help me score one somehow and save you the headache.

Aw ok see it in photo 2 of your quote. For some reason it did not display, or just blew by it ... Thanks

The throttle body electrically is working ? If it were "I" would zip tie the 2 harnesses, the both ride in the same area, so chances of it pulling out are nill

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 8.45.11 AM.png

Thae area circled will take will act as a strain relief, not stressing or pulling the TB plug
my plan is to do that in case i need to move the car out of the garage for some reason but i'm going to get another throttle body ordered. hopefully this thread saves someone else in the future from doing what i apparently did.

thanks for the advice from everyone!
Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
i considered that but my concern there is leaving a little too much material and damaging the connector when attempting to hook it back up. my throttle body problem could become a much bigger pain in the ass.
The other issue is if you somehow damage the harness connector, the harness costs $200 (the same as the throttle body) as the connectors are not currently available from Ford as serviceable items.

i'm going by a dealer tonight to talk with one of the techs that they use for shelbys that come in. i'll see what he says about the piece you need. maybe he can help me score one somehow and save you the headache.
Awesome!! Thanks for the help. This tiny little part is becoming a nightmare to source.

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other issue is if you somehow damage the harness connector, the harness costs $200 (the same as the throttle body) as the connectors are not currently available from Ford as serviceable items.
the throttle body looks like a much easier/quicker swap than dealing with a harness! not to mention if its that hard to get ahold of at the moment........

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
Sounds completely backwoods, but a possible easy cheap fix to get you by - I’d use some JB Plasticweld, mix up the 2 compounds, wait a bit until it becomes a paste…sand the broken area (on TB plug) a tad….then try to put a decent pile/dab on the broken area trying to create a new stop (pile it up where the piece broke off, maybe with a toothpick? and let dry completely).
After it’s completely hardened, grab a small file, exacto knife, Dremel (cut off wheel for dremel to shape precisely), and shape the pile of JB accordingly until it gives a decent shape for the connector to lock over.

$7.00 and maybe 30 minutes (minus dry time)?

might be worth a try before dropping time/cash on a new TB.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-823...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276309083035&psc=1

That connector isn’t being tugged on, it just needs to be kept in place. Shouldn’t take much and would be unnoticeable to everyone, but you.
I would try this for sure. JB Weld or some hard drying epoxy. Just a dab will do ya! Wait until it's completely cured and use a small file. Hell yeah, that will work.

Last edited:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
The real question is however, how is someone supposed to unplug the connector safely. Looking at the details of the connector (with pulled an pushed red tab) posted by @Atlas1 it is not very clear. I guess there must be a way as the connector itself looks like someone really made an effort to design something robust.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The real question is however, how is someone supposed to unplug the connector safely. Looking at the details of the connector (with pulled an pushed red tab) posted by @Atlas1 it is not very clear. I guess there must be a way as the connector itself looks like someone really made an effort to design something robust.
i can't really say......nor should i considering i broke the damn thing and you shouldn't follow what i did :crackup:
i pulled back the red tab and it clicked into the unlock position. then i pulled the connector off the throttle body. nothing clued me in to there being an issue until i went to plug it back in and it didn't feel right. the red tab pushed in but didn't feel all that secure.

i think the best advice is go SLOW and be gentle. but being its all cheap plastic there is always a chance something can go wrong. sort of get the feeling with cars these days they are designed to be put together and not taken apart :crazy:

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
i can't really say......nor should i considering i broke the damn thing and you shouldn't follow what i did :crackup:
i pulled back the red tab and it clicked into the unlock position. then i pulled the connector off the throttle body. nothing clued me in to there being an issue until i went to plug it back in and it didn't feel right. the red tab pushed in but didn't feel all that secure.

i think the best advice is go SLOW and be gentle. but being its all cheap plastic there is always a chance something can go wrong. sort of get the feeling with cars these days they are designed to be put together and not taken apart :crazy:
Did you push down on the thumb lock after you pulled the red tab out?

If so, then this sounds like it was broken at the factory and deserves a warranty claim.

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you push down on the thumb lock after you pulled the red tab out?

If so, then this sounds like it was broken at the factory and deserves a warranty claim.
there's a part of me that suspected if it wasn't "broken" it sure was hanging on by a thread. with the oil-air separator installed there now i wonder if they would just say i broke it during my install. guess i could have them look at it and see what they think.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
there's a part of me that suspected if it wasn't "broken" it sure was hanging on by a thread. with the oil-air separator installed there now i wonder if they would just say i broke it during my install. guess i could have them look at it and see what they think.
I think you'd have to yank it pretty hard to get it to break like that. Assuming you didn't exert excess force when unplugging it, I'd say warranty. Plea your case to the service advisor.

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2

Sponsored
OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not believe you will be able to use a GT350 throttle body as they are analog. You will need a Bullitt or Ford Performance throttle body as they are digital. I just found this out researching my GT350 manifold and TB install on my 19. Summit has them in stock and I got mine in 4 days and the price wasn't too bad either.

FORD MUSTANG Ford Performance Parts M-9926-M50B Ford Performance Parts Mustang Bullitt Throttle Bodies | Summit Racing
part number for the Mach 1 throttle body and motor assembly.........price is $307.20 through Levittown Ford Parts

KR3Z-9E926-A

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Hi Atlas,

I have swapped out a few TB's and I have never had an issue with tabs breaking off so I am like others I believe this is a warranty claim.

As far as the FR oil catch can I never had to remove that plug from the TB so I am trying to wrap this around my head since I added catch cans to both the gt350 and 19 Bullit I use to own. Is the Mach 1 different as far as the install?

OP
OP
Atlas1

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Atlas,

I have swapped out a few TB's and I have never had an issue with tabs breaking off so I am like others I believe this is a warranty claim.

As far as the FR oil catch can I never had to remove that plug from the TB so I am trying to wrap this around my head since I added catch cans to both the gt350 and 19 Bullit I use to own. Is the Mach 1 different as far as the install?
i attached the frpp instructions pdf. i think i could have installed it just fine without unplugging but the pictures showed it unplugged and i figured i'm going to do it exactly by the book so it turns out great! should have known to not read the instructions and just use common sense 🤬

Attachments

12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M1454
I have done the exact same install on my Mach 1 and the connector has not broken.
It is clear how to disconnect the connector.
Pull back on the red clip.
Slowly ease out the connector.

I believe it is a warranty issue. (the throttlebody little black thing was already broken)

Speak to your Dealer

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
i attached the frpp instructions pdf. i think i could have installed it just fine without unplugging but the pictures showed it unplugged and i figured i'm going to do it exactly by the book so it turns out great! should have known to not read the instructions and just use common sense 🤬
Yea these are pretty much plug and play although I remembered on my gt350 I had to swap the hoses around on the catch can to make it fit properly and brought this to Ford racings attention.
Sponsored