Sponsored

Ordered cars

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
That's what i thought but mine was built 6/23 so having it be 7/11 and still not showing "shipped" is a bit concerning to me? I understand the chip shortage and delay building but what's the hold up getting them shipped out?

I told my dealer to not install the front plate bracket since i have the stow and go to use but im on the fence about the washing. They usually like to clean the car to look it over for issues but if something is missed cause its "dirty" i dont wanna be the one responsible because i told them not to clean it.

Would you not buy a new car off a lot since it was most likely washed before being put out on the lot?
Let me relay my experience with "dealer prep". My first Hellcat challenger was prepped by the dealer...when I got it home and under flourescent lights...I had so many swirls...ridiculous. I spent days doing paint correction and after a lot of sweat and time, it was better, not perfect. The dealer must have used dirty scrubbers to wash my car.
My second was a Challenger Redeye...told the dealer...NO PREP. If you wash it, remove anything I will not take the car. When I got the car home, I went over the car and the paint was near perfect. I used the two bucket wash method, did a light polish and then final coat. I was so happy that I did not have the dealer touch. My soon to arrive GT will not be prepped ...dealer has specific instructions not to do anything except make sure its running. There is only one person that cares about your car....you.
Sponsored

BabyDoc1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Lighting XLT, ‘21 Expedition, ‘22 Mach 1

BLM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible/ 69 Chevelle SS
They usually like to clean the car to look it over for issues but if something is missed cause its "dirty" i dont wanna be the one responsible because i told them not to clean it.

Would you not buy a new car off a lot since it was most likely washed before being put out on the lot?
Im sure they wash it. However if you think the 18-22 year old they have assigned to prep your car looks it over for damage you are dreaming. The quicker he gets your car preped the quicker he can get back to giving all attention to his phone. The car will be inspected very thoroughly by me.
As far as buying one off the lot and already being washed that would be out of my control. However I special ordered this car and it is not a car off the lot so I do have some control. I am simply trying to avoid hours of paint correction due to their ignorance.

Last edited:

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Im sure they wash it. However if you think the 18-22 year old they have assigned to prep your car looks it over for damage you are dreaming. The quicker he gets your car preped the quicker he can get back to giving all attention to his phone. The car will be inspected very thoroughly by me.
As far as buying one off the lot and already being washed that would be out of my control. However I special ordered this car and it is not a car off the lot so I do have some control. I am simply trying to avoid hours of paint correction do to their ignorance.
valid point....this is my first factory order. What are your thoughts on taking it direct to a detailer from the dealer? Is it worth it? Thinking about adding ppf if I can find a good installer.

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
valid point....this is my first factory order. What are your thoughts on taking it direct to a detailer from the dealer? Is it worth it? Thinking about adding ppf if I can find a good installer.
If you are not going to detail the car yourself, then yes bringing it to a reputable detail shop is a good idea. I am going to have a partial ppf applied to my front bumper, 1/4 of hood and mirrors as mine is going to be a daily driver. I do the detailing myself but the ppf I leave to the pro's.

Sponsored

BLM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Well if you are going to have a detailer apply a coating then that depends. Are you either going to take it back to that detailer to maintain or are you going to maintain it yourself? If no then id say dont waste your money. I would never take my car to a detailer as anything they can do I can do myself. I detail my cars myself, two bucket washes, grit guards, special drying towels, random orgital polisher,etc. Im kind of anal about that. Im the guy that parks ten spots away from anyone else. Ive been known to freak out over door dings. So that is why I try to avoid those type things.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you are going to have a detailer apply a coating then that depends. Are you either going to take it back to that detailer to maintain or are you going to maintain it yourself? If no then id say dont waste your money. I would never take my car to a detailer as anything they can do I can do myself. I detail my cars myself, two bucket washes, grit guards, special drying towels, random orgital polisher,etc. Im kind of anal about that. Im the guy that parks ten spots away from anyone else. Ive been known to freak out over door dings. So that is why I try to avoid those type things.
same here....I used to paint but haven't in years. Last was my 1970 Torino Cobra which I sanded down to metal, fixed body, primed and painted laquer. Heres a little before and after.
I detailed my 06 GT since new and that was purchased off the lot. Difference here is the first time buying from factory and balancing with dealer prep.

scan0007.JPG

scan0003.JPG

BLM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking Torino. I like the color. I have another question about the car in front of the Torino. One can just see a bit of the taillight. Is that a bad ass Vega GT wagon?????

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice looking Torino. I like the color. I have another question about the car in front of the Torino. One can just see a bit of the taillight. Is that a bad ass Vega GT wagon?????
Thanks. It was my second paint job. First time I painted it a Ford red but it looked too dull So stripped it down to do it again. This color was an olds or Buick color from 1980. B8217LM, Autumn Maple Firemist Metallic. Many coats of hand sanded lacquer. I loved that color.
I took pics at my brothers house. I think the car in front was a chrysler. Can’t remember what model. My brother did have a Vega wagon. He actually went through a few of them commuting! They were all crap 😂 can’t count the number of times we would have to tow him home!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If you are not going to detail the car yourself, then yes bringing it to a reputable detail shop is a good idea. I am going to have a partial ppf applied to my front bumper, 1/4 of hood and mirrors as mine is going to be a daily driver. I do the detailing myself but the ppf I leave to the pro's.
A recommendation please. Do the entire hood. It’s worth it. If you do only partial, I absolutely guarantee that a stone will find your hood. Just on the other side of your PPF.

Sponsored

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A recommendation please. Do the entire hood. It’s worth it. If you do only partial, I absolutely guarantee that a stone will find your hood. Just on the other side of your PPF.
Thanks for the advice...I will call the installer tomorrow for a full hood price

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
My dealer emailed me this morning and said my car has been produced and is awaiting shipment!

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I saw a post in another thread that Ford is keeping a small crew working to ship some of the cars that are done.

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
I thought the Flat Rock plant was closed for 2 weeks?
Me too. I'm not quite sure what the deal is since I called a couple weeks ago and got a July 28th build date
Sponsored