Sponsored

And the hits just keep on coming... 2017 GT350 - low/no oil possibly?

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Honestly, the motor being toast wouldn’t be a horrible thing for you, as you mentioned. Used car with a new engine, transmission, and then you’d be able to hit them up for an extended warranty….

Agreed, I won't hate a brand new engine, hell I'd get the same on in the R models now right? Going from a 2017 to a 2020 engine won't be a bad deal at all to me. It's the time of being out of the vehicle but at this point, I can suffer through it, I've already waited long enough lol.

I am not even mad anymore, just indifferent to this whole mess. I've never been through anything like this and I really like the car with the very little time I had driving it, it sounds amazing. I am willing to stick it through, now if this was brand new I'd be heading for the Lemon Law/Ford Buyback asap, but I don't have this option with a used car unfortunately.
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What I would worry about, legitimate or not, is you find out you are two quarts low from inadequate fill, they document and replace with 10 quarts and say you are good to go but keep an eye on oil level. Unless you have problems that can be proven, you'll have no recourse. Question then, is running this engine two quarts low for 100 miles going to cause any long term problems?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What I would worry about, legitimate or not, is you find out you are two quarts low from inadequate fill, they document and replace with 10 quarts and say you are good to go but keep an eye on oil level. Unless you have problems that can be proven, you'll have no recourse. Question then, is running this engine two quarts low for 100 miles going to cause any long term problems?
I doubt it, unless it was on a race track. I dont know though.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350

Yeah definitely no track time. There's some back roads around lakes around here and took it around them a few times. I was slowly easing the new transmission in, didn't want to kick it into redline right away, I wanted to put some miles on it before I did that.

Sponsored

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Why in the flying hell would you drive it knowing oil isnt touching the dipstick!?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd worry about the wrong oil as well. But I'm a worrier.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
On every V8 engine I have owned 2 quarts low would not show any oil on the stick. I'd put a quart in and recheck, then the 2nd.
I would want to add the oil myself (1/2 a quart at a time) until it registered on the dip stick so I knew how low it was on oil. If you add a quart and it registers on the dip stick, then I wouldn't worry about it. 1 or two quarts low isn't an issue. They probably just didn't put enough in.
If you take it to the dealership and have them do it, you'll have to just trust what they tell you. I wouldn't put it past them to say it was only a quart or two down when it was actually a lot more just to cover the mistake. I would feel better knowing for sure how low it was on oil.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Oil does three things. First is to lubricate parts which rub against each other. This can be splash lubrication. The second and most important is the oil pressure. The pressured oil builds a cushion in the spaces between crankshaft and connecting rod bearings. It is a very thin film of pressurized oil that keeps the big ends of the piston connecting rods, crankshaft bearings from touching at the same time it is also a lubricant. The pressurized oil can also be fed to other bearings, hydraulic lifters and the valve train.
Porsche built a bunch of engines with an intermediate shaft. One one end of the shaft the roller type bearings were fed with engine oil. On the back end that shaft had sealed bearings such as might be a wheel bearing. Packed with grease but not engine oil fed. Those sealed bearings failed and ruined a bunch of engines.
The third thing is the oil helps to carry away heat from the engine. Not sure but the oil may do more heat transfer that the coolant. I have suspected engines with a dry sump did not need all the extra oil as a lube or for pressure. That big oil tank ought to help with cooling. Of course it may also be insurance if an engine uses a lot of oil.

I have been following the thread and waiting before making guesses. But I will make a guess now. That not a drop showed on the dip stick is a bad sign. I would think with oil being splashed around some ought to be seen. That the OP reported some noise is also suspicious.

A crankshaft or rod end bearing failure is a thumping sound. Not what the OP reported, so the pressurized parts may be OK. The rest of the valve train and the cam chains are what concern me from reading the posts. If the oil is too low it may be these parts were not getting lubed properly or may not have been getting cooled properly.
I do hope two things for the OP. One is the damage, if any, is not his to pay for. The other is somehow there is no damage.

Note - I am not up to date with the variable valve timing features exactly. I do suspect for the cams to be advanced or retarded must depend on oil pressure. This unknown bit is where I would want more information. Fingers crossed for the OP's sake.

OP
OP

hdaniel85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
Hello; Oil does three things. First is to lubricate parts which rub against each other. This can be splash lubrication. The second and most important is the oil pressure. The pressured oil builds a cushion in the spaces between crankshaft and connecting rod bearings. It is a very thin film of pressurized oil that keeps the big ends of the piston connecting rods, crankshaft bearings from touching at the same time it is also a lubricant. The pressurized oil can also be fed to other bearings, hydraulic lifters and the valve train.
Porsche built a bunch of engines with an intermediate shaft. One one end of the shaft the roller type bearings were fed with engine oil. On the back end that shaft had sealed bearings such as might be a wheel bearing. Packed with grease but not engine oil fed. Those sealed bearings failed and ruined a bunch of engines.
The third thing is the oil helps to carry away heat from the engine. Not sure but the oil may do more heat transfer that the coolant. I have suspected engines with a dry sump did not need all the extra oil as a lube or for pressure. That big oil tank ought to help with cooling. Of course it may also be insurance if an engine uses a lot of oil.

I have been following the thread and waiting before making guesses. But I will make a guess now. That not a drop showed on the dip stick is a bad sign. I would think with oil being splashed around some ought to be seen. That the OP reported some noise is also suspicious.

A crankshaft or rod end bearing failure is a thumping sound. Not what the OP reported, so the pressurized parts may be OK. The rest of the valve train and the cam chains are what concern me from reading the posts. If the oil is too low it may be these parts were not getting lubed properly or may not have been getting cooled properly.
I do hope two things for the OP. One is the damage, if any, is not his to pay for. The other is somehow there is no damage.

Note - I am not up to date with the variable valve timing features exactly. I do suspect for the cams to be advanced or retarded must depend on oil pressure. This unknown bit is where I would want more information. Fingers crossed for the OP's sake.

Thanks for this.

Just to update you all, a tech/service van came out to my house. We ended up adding 4 quarts of oil to get to between the hash marks on the dip stick. The tech even said if it was consuming that much oil there would be clouds of smoke going everywhere and with no confirmation of large oil spots anywhere it's safe to assume there were only 6 quarts put in and not 10 as the tech confirmed with me on the phone...

So I brought it into the dealership, they notated it, the metallic sound went away (maybe it's not there now but it was there previously). So if anything comes up, it's documented.

Now I did take it for a test drive with a tech, he could hear the wheel bearing ticking, so they ordered replacement wheel bearings for the rears (that was the random ticking sound I heard on initial acceleration and deceleration) I always assumed the wheel bearings hummed...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I would be absolutely livid! I'd want full on inspection. Leakdown test, scope the cylinders, the whole bit!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One of the features in the Voodoo is that the oil pump pickup duct is molded into the floor of the oil pan and collects oil from the lowest point on the bottom of the pan. It's not like the usual pickup in a modular V8 that hangs down like an upside-down mushroom from a bracket on the main bearing cap.

Presumably it's done that way to handle high g-loading, but a side benefit is that it doesn't run dry until the oil's really low. It's entirely possible that 6 quarts of oil is enough to prevent any damage, although you wouldn't want to do a track day that way.

The more important question is, what oil did the first tech put in, if they thought that 6 quarts was enough - six quarts of what?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So I brought it into the dealership, they notated it,
I think I would make them change the oil again. If the tech only put 6 qts in it [how do you know it was the correct oil for the car?

I'm still assuming he used the bulk oil dispenser. So you may have 6 qts of 5/20 and 4 of 5/50.

This in itself will not hurt anything but they should make it right IMO.

As far as running it 4 qts low as long as you were not running it up to redline and holding it there it will not harm anything. The larger sumps on these are mostly for extended oil change intervals.

Hope you get to enjoy your car.
Sponsored