Is the Performance Package worthwhile?

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So that, plus your supercharger, adds up to how much?

Which is utterly meaningless to anybody else's decision process regarding the value of the PP1 package.

I'm not trying to say that the PP1 is a good value here (at any of its prices over the years). Just that what other people choose to do with their cars is of even less value. If anything, I wouldn't do a supercharger just to avoid being lumped in with moron youtubers chasing "likes".

Because that's a complete non-issue as far as whether the Performance Package is worthwhile. Try to stay on topic here.

Norm
1) My supercharger was about $5k and my track suspension was maybe $1200 and the car was $28k with 3.55's and 18 inch wheels. Think my tune was $300 or so.

2) the reason for bringing up what most people do is to show there is no need for that package to do those things. If you feel insecure about what others will say or label you as for having a supercharger, then don't get one. Get the performance pack so you can say you have that instead, and not feel so vulnerable. That's some strong character you got there to go against the supercharger. You're the Abe Lincoln of our time. What can I say?

3) the point in bringing up half shafts is to show that while everyone is choking on each other's same points, (but brakes and suspension!!) nobody was even making the more valid argument against supercharging. If the half shafts were stronger, it might be worth it. It's on topic.

If you're not interested in what most mustang owners are interested in (aftermarket modifications) then yes, the PP is for you. But, what often happens is people decide they want a CAI. And then it's E85. And then it's headers and some even make the stupid throttle body swap. And at that point, where do they go? Most people don't just stop. They add more. So after you've blown that money (even more if you have ford install their power packs to keep your warranty) how much is spent?
Better off having it supercharged by Ford with the warranty in tact, and then doing brakes an suspension yourself. Adding power at that point is simple as using a smaller pulley.
Some people like using more than 3m tape for mods.
Sponsored

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Adding an H (or X) pipe to the otherwise stock AE system is pretty fantastic. Quiet mode is still 98% the same, Standard is somewhere between the stock Standard and Sport, and Sport with the H-pipe is spectacular. A good bit louder, but with the H, it's a "tuned" louder (if that makes sense), I never touch Track on the AE anymore, it's just louder with some junky noise added in.

For the money for resonator replacement pipes, it's great deal. I've only read of one case where someone thought it was too loud, and to be clear, I'm not into a super loud exhaust and won't tolerate __any__ drone (which this does not introduce).

My PP1 with a tune, a couple of intake mods, an H-pipe and my wheel/tire setup (20x10, 20x11 running 285-35 and 305-35) is just about perfect. Well, it's a convertible, so I also added the Top Smart module which brings a convertible closer to perfect as well :)
I'm completely unfamiliar with the top smart module. What does that entail?
I wish t-tops were an option.
Borla really has done well with Ford. They fixed probably the most common off the bat complaint people had of the previous s550.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm completely unfamiliar with the top smart module. What does that entail?
It's a small module, about the size of a pack of matches, goes under the corner of the back seat, uses a simple plug-and-play harness (~15 minute install), has a microUSB connector so you can use an application to set it, or you can do a top button sequence and it sets the center stack display into programming mode, and you can adjust things without additional hardware.

Function 1: The convertible top requires that you hold the up/down, after unlocking the latch, this lets you tap the button once, top goes all the way down or up - and it has an additional feature where it will start the down process by just unlatching the top, so it's just one move, twist latch, drive away (the latch has a switch so it can detect when it's been unlocked).

Function 2: There's a max MPH where you can operate the top, it's barely an idle crawl, this let's you set up to 30MPH, I've got mine set to 18 I believe (I think it's 6MPH increments). SUPER nice, and no, I have no concern over operation while moving, just being able to do it on a <10 MPH roll is infinitely better.

Function 3: It lets you set a return setting for drive moves, either last or a specific mode, basically the car starts, then the module sets things per your configuration.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It's a small module, about the size of a pack of matches, goes under the corner of the back seat, uses a simple plug-and-play harness (~15 minute install), has a microUSB connector so you can use an application to set it, or you can do a top button sequence and it sets the center stack display into programming mode, and you can adjust things without additional hardware.

Function 1: The convertible top requires that you hold the up/down, after unlocking the latch, this lets you tap the button once, top goes all the way down or up - and it has an additional feature where it will start the down process by just unlatching the top, so it's just one move, twist latch, drive away (the latch has a switch so it can detect when it's been unlocked).

Function 2: There's a max MPH where you can operate the top, it's barely an idle crawl, this let's you set up to 30MPH, I've got mine set to 18 I believe (I think it's 6MPH increments). SUPER nice, and no, I have no concern over operation while moving, just being able to do it on a <10 MPH roll is infinitely better.

Function 3: It lets you set a return setting for drive moves, either last or a specific mode, basically the car starts, then the module sets things per your configuration.
Just like what the millionaires have on their cars. That's pretty cool.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Just like what the millionaires have on their cars. That's pretty cool.
Hahaha, well, I got mine for like $125 or so from a guy who sold his convertible after a few months, so I'm not quite at millionaire status :D

When I was cross shopping a ZL1 convertible, one of the major top advantages on the Camaro, is the ability to raise and lower at speed, and one touch operation.

The Camaro also has an option to open the top with the fob (which can't be done on the Mustang), but it has the HUGE negative mark in that the trunk space differs from top up vs. down, __and__ you have to remove/install a little trunk divider, it's got some switches on this that require it to be in place.

The Smart Top really equalizes things that were big for me, and I much prefer a trunk that stays the same - well worth it even at full retail of like $200.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1) My supercharger was about $5k and my track suspension was maybe $1200 and the car was $28k with 3.55's and 18 inch wheels. Think my tune was $300 or so.
So how much would it cost if you were to duplicate that combination on a 2020 or 2021 Mustang?

2) the reason for bringing up what most people do is to show there is no need for that package to do those things.
The Perf Package - as an option - is no more for "everybody" than supercharging is. It's just the nominal topic of this thread.

If you feel insecure about what others will say or label you as for having a supercharger, then don't get one. Get the performance pack so you can say you have that instead, and not feel so vulnerable.
Sorry, but the Performance Pack isn't developed far enough for me. A lot of it is what I truly believe belongs on the Mustang as base-level components and calibrations.

That's some strong character you got there to go against the supercharger. You're the Abe Lincoln of our time. What can I say?
I have no idea where you're going with that Abe Lincoln reference. But FWIW I do know myself well enough to assure you that there's no feeling of vulnerability as you put it. Well enough to not apologize for being something of a nonconformist (something I realized about myself nearly six decades ago).

If you're not interested in what most mustang owners are interested in (aftermarket modifications) then yes, the PP is for you. But, what often happens is people decide they want a CAI. And then it's E85. And then it's headers and some even make the stupid throttle body swap. And at that point, where do they go? Most people don't just stop. They add more. So after you've blown that money (even more if you have ford install their power packs to keep your warranty) how much is spent?
Better off having it supercharged by Ford with the warranty in tact, and then doing brakes an suspension yourself. Adding power at that point is simple as using a smaller pulley.
Some people like using more than 3m tape for mods.
You have no idea how much I've done in terms of aftermarket modification over the years. Let alone how much of it was engine related (more than you suspect). But one of the things I've gradually learned from doing the things I have done has been that for me, supercharging takes away more than it gives back. I'll let you chew on that thought for a while . . . time for my nap.

And no, I'm not at all into stick-on "mods".

Norm

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So how much would it cost if you were to duplicate that combination on a 2020 or 2021 Mustang?

The Perf Package - as an option - is no more for "everybody" than supercharging is. It's just the nominal topic of this thread.

Sorry, but the Performance Pack isn't developed far enough for me. A lot of it is what I truly believe belongs on the Mustang as base-level components and calibrations.

I have no idea where you're going with that Abe Lincoln reference. But FWIW I do know myself well enough to assure you that there's no feeling of vulnerability as you put it. Well enough to not apologize for being something of a nonconformist (something I realized about myself nearly six decades ago).

You have no idea how much I've done in terms of aftermarket modification over the years. Let alone how much of it was engine related (more than you suspect). But one of the things I've gradually learned from doing the things I have done has been that for me, supercharging takes away more than it gives back. I'll let you chew on that thought for a while . . . time for my nap.

And no, I'm not at all into stick-on "mods".

Norm
1) my name is not Google.

2) if the performance pack is not developed enough then it is a waste of money if someone plans to track the car. Tracking the car is the only situation someone would need to upgrade brakes and suspension. So if someone does not plan to track, spending $4k extra for the supercharger is a viable option. A 700+ crank hp car is not crazy to drive on the road.

3) you stated you were afraid of being lumped in with YouTubers if you installed a supercharger. And you eluded that owning a supercharger is a negative thing. So, I was commending you on how virtuous and good you are for not going down that disgusting path. Nonconformist! Wow. So you're a cool guy. 😎

Maybe with age you've become senile and think you're reading a demand from the government that you supercharge your car when in reality what you're actually reading is someone saying that a supercharged street car is fine and that if performance pack parts saw track time (when they should have use) that they're not enough anyway.(which even you have stated by now) Therefore the pack serves no purpose since the parts would be changed out anyway. There's nothing here for you to conform with or rebel againsthere. It's a thread on a forum. And you're old, angry, and tired.

Enjoy the nap.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Tracking the car is the only situation someone would need to upgrade brakes and suspension.
Even if I didn't intend to HPDE the car, the PP1 is sub-standard even for street use. Sure the 6-pots, radiator and Torsen wouldn't matter. But the suspension is just a big ball of SUCK that has to get replaced. The 9/9.5 wheel combo is a joke and tires are consumable so that also is not a factor in evaluating Buy or not.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Even if I didn't intend to HPDE the car, the PP1 is sub-standard even for street use. Sure the 6-pots, radiator and Torsen wouldn't matter. But the suspension is just a big ball of SUCK that has to get replaced. The 9/9.5 wheel combo is a joke and tires are consumable so that also is not a factor in evaluating Buy or not.
Kind of the point I'm making. I'm saying if you want to spend that much, go ahead and get it supercharged by Ford with a warranty for a little more. Then everyone got upset that someone would use a Ford tuned Supercharger without getting the brakes and suspension. My point being that if the car won't be tracked ANYWAY, then the brakes and suspension don't matter for a street car. And if they DID track the car, those PP parts would be changed out ANYWAY. That's why, when responding to the thread post, I say the performance pack is not worth the money.
People acting like I'm on capital hill saying they have to supercharge their cars.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1) my name is not Google.
So what you paid should really be considered in reference to the Perf Package's original price ($2500?) rather than today's inflated $6300.

2) if the performance pack is not developed enough then it is a waste of money if someone plans to track the car. Tracking the car is the only situation someone would need to upgrade brakes and suspension.
It's what the base car should have been equipped with and should have never been an extra-cost option. It shouldn't cost extra to get PP-level brakes in what's already a performance car. Or to get a more appropriate tire size than 235/50-18 (which isn't a good size even for a 300-ish HP base EB unless you're talking about dedicated winter tires).

The Performance Package should have been a lot closer to what ended up being called the PPL2.

So if someone does not plan to track, spending $4k extra for the supercharger is a viable option. A 700+ crank hp car is not crazy to drive on the road.
On the flip side, if they're not planning on going to the drag strip, supercharging would not be money well spent either.

And you eluded that owning a supercharger is a negative thing.
I can't speak for anybody but myself . . . but for me, that's certainly true. I'm the guy who would always pick a Shelby GT Mustang or a Boss 302 over the GT500, or a Z/28 or SS/1LE Camaro over the ZL1, or a Grand Sport Corvette over any of the supercharged variants. A classic-era Boss 302 over its Boss 429 stablemate, for that matter.

Maybe with age you've become senile and think you're reading a demand from the government that you supercharge your car when in reality what you're actually reading is someone saying that a supercharged street car is fine
Where do you come up with arguments like that? The best I'll give you is that a supercharged street car is do-able. Kind of wasteful and show-off'y, but do-able.

There's nothing here for you to conform with or rebel against here. It's a thread on a forum.
Once again, Ford's performance package option was never about supercharging . . . no matter how closely you associate the word 'performance' with supercharging.

If I'm rebelling against anything, it's against the idea that supercharging can fix - or at least cover up - any perceived Mustang shortcoming, and deserves to be brought up in unrelated discussions.

Norm

Sponsored

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So what you paid should really be considered in reference to the Perf Package's original price ($2500?) rather than today's inflated $6300.

It's what the base car should have been equipped with and should have never been an extra-cost option. It shouldn't cost extra to get PP-level brakes in what's already a performance car. Or to get a more appropriate tire size than 235/50-18 (which isn't a good size even for a 300-ish HP base EB unless you're talking about dedicated winter tires).

The Performance Package should have been a lot closer to what ended up being called the PPL2.

On the flip side, if they're not planning on going to the drag strip, supercharging would not be money well spent either.

I can't speak for anybody but myself . . . but for me, that's certainly true. I'm the guy who would always pick a Shelby GT Mustang or a Boss 302 over the GT500, or a Z/28 or SS/1LE Camaro over the ZL1, or a Grand Sport Corvette over any of the supercharged variants. A classic-era Boss 302 over its Boss 429 stablemate, for that matter.

Where do you come up with arguments like that? The best I'll give you is that a supercharged street car is do-able. Kind of wasteful and show-off'y, but do-able.

Once again, Ford's performance package option was never about supercharging . . . no matter how closely you associate the word 'performance' with supercharging.

If I'm rebelling against anything, it's against the idea that supercharging can fix - or at least cover up - any perceived Mustang shortcoming, and deserves to be brought up in unrelated discussions.

Norm
1) The price for the supercharger back then was still $10k. That is what I was quoted. The inflated current day price on the performance furthers my point as to why one should just spring for the supercharger instead. So I don't really see how you feel the performance pack costing more helps your case. It costs $6k for a performance pack now. $4k more and you get a supercharger. The previous price would have been worth it for the performance pack. The supercharger allows for more low end torque which makes regular street driving more enjoyable. The Ford tune is a street minded tune.

You would always choose a Shelby Mustang GT? Oh yeah.... That car with the SUPERCHARGER that had identical power ratings as if you were to use the Ford Performance supercharger with Ford Performance tune. Only difference would be interior, willwood brakes (not essential for street driving) and suspension (not essential for street driving) a short throw shifter (can be bought and installed for under $1000) and bigger wheels (bigger wheels are easily available in aftermarket). It does have a carbon fiber hood but Shelby admitted it didn't help in losing weight for the car. The wheels are 20 inch wheels which I think they went with because the car has 3.73 gears in it. 20 inch wheels give a rougher ride, so I'd rather have a 3.31 with 19's. It's an amazing car, but spending just $10,000 on a base mustang GT for a street able supercharged car (just $4k more than naturally aspirated with low low end torque) is more bang for the buck. It also has identical power as the Shelby.

If nobody knows you have a supercharger, then calling it show-offy makes no sense. Especially when the supercharger is quiet. If someone started driving around with their hood removed and a big sticker that says supercharged, then yeah. But we see NA Mustangs with Corsa Extremes and ridiculous decals that are far more boastful than someone with a supercharger under their hood. Maybe you should drive one of the Ford Performance supercharged mustangs and see it's manners.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you should drive one of the Ford Performance supercharged mustangs and see it's manners.
I haven't but I wouldn't bother. For far less than 6k let alone 10k I can bash the Mustang chassis into reasonable shape so the porker can handle with a degree of competence. Power without traction or control is a meaningless exercise. But you're not alone in this myopia with engine power uber alles mentality.

Last edited:

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I haven't but I wouldn't bother. For fare less than 6k let alone 10k I can bash the Mustang chassis into reasonable shape so the porker can handle with a degree of competence. Power without traction or control is a meaningless exercise. But you're not alone in this myopia with engine power uber alles mentality.
Power without control is meaningless, yes. No point in having power if it isn't usable or enjoyable. What I'm saying though, is that that setup delivers power in a way that isn't out of control. I wouldn't recommend it for tracking, but I would for a fun street car.
I've gone different routes with tuning the car and I wouldn't say that if something gives more power that I'm instantly drawn to it. It isn't uncommon for someone to feel their thought process is deeper than others though. I've actually reduced my power level to make the car more enjoyable. I'm not one of the Mustangs ending up in ditches. This supercharger isn't even a bragging rights setup. It's simply fun. But go ahead and keep that nose high.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1) $10,000 against $6300, vs $10,000 against $2500 only makes the $10k purchase a better deal if you want what's in it. Whether you want the other thing at either price is irrelevant.

2) I was talking about this Shelby Mustang.
2007 Ford Mustang Specs & Performance
Coupe 2D Shelby GT Specifications and Pricing

Overview
4.6L Engine
300 Horsepower
Torque

3)
If nobody knows you have a supercharger . . .
Most people seem more than willing to at least drop hints about having a supercharger on their Mustang. Doesn't even have to be IRL.

Norm

hunter7389

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium M6 401 PP1, Silver
For me, yes. Needs to be 100% reliable, with kickarse brakes and wide-ish sticky tires, and without the somewhat soft feeling GT base suspension.

Daily driver, commuter and grocery getter, will likely make 2-3 passes at a dragstrip someday, but will scream up the freeway onramps on a daily basis. Also has to be "wife-driven" capable.

Supercharger? Cool, no argument.
Sponsored