Adding a ram air hose in addition to factory air intake scoop

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was just looking at all of the space in the left front corner of my Bullitt and was wondering if anyone has tried running a separate ram air style hose to the open air box area (in addition to the factory air intake scoop), to provide even more fresh air to the filter element and possibly help keep IAT down? If so, were the results positive? I run a PMAS on my car and have already modified the driver’s side hood vent to where it is now functional. I actually did this to clear the filter element when the hood Is closed. I’m not sure if it is allowing some of the heat in the engine bay to escape, but it seems like it should. What are everyone’s thoughts on this?
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
While done properly it will help a bit with IATs and overall airflow, it's not really done because with a proper setup the front grill opening is more than enough for both. I guess if you wanted to do it, you could run basically a brake cooling duct from the bottom air scoop up to the intake instead of the brakes.

Also, what did you do to the hood vent and in what way is it functional? As an air intake or heat extraction?

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
While done properly it will help a bit with IATs and overall airflow, it's not really done because with a proper setup the front grill opening is more than enough for both. I guess if you wanted to do it, you could run basically a brake cooling duct from the bottom air scoop up to the intake instead of the brakes.

Also, what did you do to the hood vent and in what way is it functional? As an air intake or heat extraction?
Yes, initially it turned out to be a partial extraction, but I am enlarging the opening more to make use of the entire vent. Will have a pic of each up here in a bit for comparison.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This first pic is the earlier rendition of the driver’s side vent mod which I did a few weeks ago. As you can see, it only clears a corner of the vent holes in the hood. When I first did this, I wasn’t trying to make the vent functional, but rather, gain clearance for my PMAS air filter because it was a tight fit with the hood closed and I wanted to avoid damaging the filter.

Today, I decided to go back and completely open It up, so that all of the vent holes would be exposed. I think this will allow for some heat extraction. Just how much, I’m not sure, but I have to believe it’s some improvement. Here are the pics of the finished mod. Note: The last pic is the passenger side vent for reference in what material was removed.

BDE8C23F-CE8E-41BB-B509-3C6532B5A05F.jpeg
7716397C-EA0C-4034-975B-9E4068796C5D.jpeg
C90CD36B-F902-475E-B462-FA8CA93ED4D9.jpeg
CB6327AE-0539-4E4E-BD23-5BF7677E7575.jpeg
FB1CF9EA-8803-40E7-A3AA-BE51A6970613.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Any issues with water intrusion?

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Any issues with water intrusion?
Not on the first rendition. I even drove through an automatic car wash with it like that.

The current version could possibly of “”allow water intrusion, but I will keep some Duct Tape with me, just in case I ever get caught in a torrential downpour. I don’t plan on driving the car in the rain unless I happen to get caught in it and there’s a very good
chance of that happening in Florida.

Last edited:

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
in before your tuner asks you wtf is up with your maf signal.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I basically did the same thing on my 17, yes water gets into the engine compartment and it is hard to keep the under hood stuff clean. It's not a show car so I don't care. Dirt finds it's way onto the motor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I basically did the same thing on my 17, yes water gets into the engine compartment and it is hard to keep the under hood stuff clean. It's not a show car so I don't care. Dirt finds it's way onto the motor.
Did it help lower your IATs?

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
in before your tuner asks you wtf is up with your maf signal.
Are you saying that getting too much air, or two air feeds may have a negative affect on the maf signal?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Did it help lower your IATs?
I did not notice any reduction. I did it mostly to stop front end rise at speed. It helped slightly. What did the best at stopping the front end rise was adding a spacer to the rear springs. The splitter now pulls the front down instead of making it go up.

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I did not notice any reduction. I did it mostly to stop front end rise at speed. It helped slightly. What did the best at stopping the front end rise was adding a spacer to the rear springs. The splitter now pulls the front down instead of making it go up.
Oh ok. I wasn’t sure how much (if any) benefit I would see from completely opening the vent. This is what happens when the weather is too cold and nasty out to drive the car; I end up thinking of more things to do to it.

At least the effort wasn’t all for naught, as I did gain the necessary clearance between the hood and filter element.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Oh ok. I wasn’t sure how much (if any) benefit I would see from completely opening the vent. This is what happens when the weather is too cold and nasty out to drive the car; I end up thinking of more things to do to it.

At least the effort wasn’t all for naught, as I did gain the necessary clearance between the hood and filter element.
This guy did something similar to what I mentioned, used a brake cooling duct from the fog light area to run up into the airbox.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ats-the-best-dyno-results.135635/post-2791175
Sponsored