Not open for further replies.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Al Gore is smarter than NASA.
Unfortunately, Gore and many other activists do more harm than good. Ideally scientists would actually report the data but most people would just fall asleep as they listen to the technical jargon.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes another giant trip into the weeds.....carbon taxes and credits don't actually do anything for consumption or the environment. I'm not going to stop heating my house and going without hot water or fuel because it got more expensive.
Nobody suggested that youā€™ll stop using it. What you might do is be less frivolous about HOW you use it.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Nobody suggested that youā€™ll stop using it. What you might do is be less frivolous about HOW you use it.
Like driving Mustangs? Yes heating my house is frivoulous while the politicians and millionaires burn the stuff by the barrel with their private jets and yachts.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Like driving Mustangs? Yes heating my house is frivoulous while the politicians and millionaires burn the stuff by the barrel with their private jets and yachts.
Good argument from ā€œwhataboutismā€. Imagine a world where everyone refused to do anything because nobody else was doing anything.
You could try looking at it differently.
Iā€™ll use Australia as an example.
Fuel (Gas) costs roughly twice as much over here as it does in the US. Want to take a wild guess as to how much emphasis the average punter places on fuel efficiency?
Maybe look at the UK?
Ever wondered if you might be a lot more careful with the way your home is insulated when the heating and cooling costs twice as much as it does now?
Do you think the average punter might be more likely to put a solar system on their home if the economics of it makes sense?
Speaking from experience, we took the plunge and have been receiving cheques from the power company ever since. Beats the shit out of paying a bill each month. Better yet, weā€™re producing enough power to offset the usage of two more average homes in our area.
To cap it off, the investment pays for itself in 3-4 years and after that, we have a source of genuine income.
I know itā€™s terrible isnā€™t it...what a disaster.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Unfortunately, Gore and many other activists do more harm than good. Ideally scientists would actually report the data but most people would just fall asleep as they listen to the technical jargon.
Gore can't do harm. He's helping the environment.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
try this article if you want to be frightened https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...-earths-climate-reveals-dire-warning-humanity

Also try reading about acidification of the ocean if you want to be really frightened.

But alas they are harder to tax so not much attention paid to that. The most important part of carbon tax is TAX.
Hello; I read the link provided. here is a quote from it I found interesting.
in Earth & Planetary Science Letters. Some 450 million years ago, ocean waters averaged 35Ā°C to 40Ā°C, more than 20Ā°C warmer than today. Yet marine life thrived, even diversified. "It's unsettling for the biologists, these warm temperatures we're proposing," Grossman says. "These are extreme for modern organisms."

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Gore can't do harm. He's helping the environment.
What heā€™s doing is giving the deniers ammunition by misrepresenting the findings of science. Iā€™m sure he means well, but for gods sake, get the facts (or at least the predictions) right.
Iā€˜m all for advocacy when itā€™s done correctly.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I read the link provided. here is a quote from it I found interesting.
in Earth & Planetary Science Letters. Some 450 million years ago, ocean waters averaged 35Ā°C to 40Ā°C, more than 20Ā°C warmer than today. Yet marine life thrived, even diversified. "It's unsettling for the biologists, these warm temperatures we're proposing," Grossman says. "These are extreme for modern organisms."
Why did you find that interesitng?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I had a dollar for every one that said they can't believe they didn't quit their grocery or fast food jobs sooner.
I wish I had a dollar for every coder who couldn't program their way out of a paper bag!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Why did you find that interesitng?
Hello; I guess it is the current ideas about how bad conditions are soon to be if the present temperatures go up a couple of degrees C. The C is important if you are use to using degrees F.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Good argument from ā€œwhataboutismā€. Imagine a world where everyone refused to do anything because nobody else was doing anything.
You could try looking at it differently.
Iā€™ll use Australia as an example.
Fuel (Gas) costs roughly twice as much over here as it does in the US. Want to take a wild guess as to how much emphasis the average punter places on fuel efficiency?
Maybe look at the UK?
Ever wondered if you might be a lot more careful with the way your home is insulated when the heating and cooling costs twice as much as it does now?
Do you think the average punter might be more likely to put a solar system on their home if the economics of it makes sense?
Speaking from experience, we took the plunge and have been receiving cheques from the power company ever since. Beats the shit out of paying a bill each month. Better yet, weā€™re producing enough power to offset the usage of two more average homes in our area.
To cap it off, the investment pays for itself in 3-4 years and after that, we have a source of genuine income.
I know itā€™s terrible isnā€™t it...what a disaster.
The stats about who is polluting doesn't back you up on hitting up individual home owners with more energy and tax costs to reduce use. Up here there will never be a payback on solar. Solar won't help you at night and during the winter. It will need replacing by the time its paid off in 20 years or so.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; I guess it is the current ideas about how bad conditions are soon to be if the present temperatures go up a couple of degrees C. The C is important if you are use to using degrees F.
Itā€™s probably easier for people to grasp it once they understand that we have the evidence in the geologic record for what happens when it warms up.
A common mistake being made is when people think the Earth, throughout its history, has typically resembled something vaguely similar to what we see now.
The Ordovician period (~450m y/a) is actually a great example. Plenty of carbon dioxide, not much solar irradiance (compared to recent standards), crazy temps.

ā€œIn between ice ages, some lesser peaks of temperature have occurred a number of times, especially around 125,000 years ago. At this time, temperatures may have been about 1Ā°C to 2Ā°C degrees warmer than today. Sea level was 5 to 8 metres higher than today ā€“ a rise sufficient to inundate most of the worldā€™s coastal cities (IPCC report, pdf format). This peak was triggered by the orbital cycles.ā€

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...in-the-past-whats-the-big-deal/#ixzz6mgF27BCb
The stats about who is polluting doesn't back you up on hitting up individual home owners with more energy and tax costs to reduce use. Up here there will never be a payback on solar. Solar won't help you at night and during the winter. It will need replacing by the time its paid off in 20 years or so.
I wasnā€™t suggesting that home-owners are the primary issue. I also wasnā€™t suggesting that PV cells are the way forward for every region.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.