Not open for further replies.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
If a person gets laid off for something such as automation, they will be able to find a different job. It's most likely going to be outside the food business, but they could learn to code or do other short tech training programs.
Hello; For some reason this made me think of the mid to late 80's. I was teaching general science in a public school. Computers were the new wonder thing in every one's mind. Got to the point where the school system was trying to find a way to pay for having a computer in every classroom. I lobbied for the money to be spent on materials for hands on science for my classes instead. I could have used such materials in a productive way.
But I got a computer. Thing was there was no software other than which came already installed. When we teachers asked for software there was no money for it. The special ED department had a budget of their own and had had computers long before.
The special Ed teacher gave me some 5 1/4 floppy disks to use. They were almost all games. There was one with a ballistics program I decided to use. So I set up a rotating schedule where each day one student could work with that program on his/her own. Worked OK till one of the "punks" wanted me to give him a game to play. When I would not he damaged the disk so it could not work any more.
What is the point? The point is from time to time an idea takes hold which is very appealing and lots of people get onboard with gusto. The idea itself tickles their fancy so much they cannot stand to even consider any potential down side. The shinny new idea just has to be so wonderful that any downsides are to be ignored.

I await one of your considered replies.
Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Let's see Musk win the cannonball run. I think EV's have a place, but I won't buy one yet. Gas is a commodity, and it will fluctuate. Bush wins the award for highest gas prices EVER, in the summer of 08.
Just in real dollars.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
except the Fed Gov has these sweet, sweet programs where you can live quite comfortably on the dole. But leaving that aside, did you note the big exodus of 'minimum wage'-like businesses when Seattle cranked the wage up? We can argue that minimum wage should be indexed to inflation (even BLM's lies) but it doesn't change the fact that business owners can't pay this new adjusted wage and the consumer can't afford to buy the goods either.

If you do have a forced ratcheting mechanism you get Zimbabwe and Weimar in very short order. And guess what, we're about to.
Yeah, I think the well fare system needs some adjustments too. In AZ some people get 4.5k a month. That's crazy. Thanks Duecy, your Republicans are the best!/s

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; For some reason this made me think of the mid to late 80's. I was teaching general science in a public school. Computers were the new wonder thing in every one's mind. Got to the point where the school system was trying to find a way to pay for having a computer in every classroom. I lobbied for the money to be spent on materials for hands on science for my classes instead. I could have used such materials in a productive way.
But I got a computer. Thing was there was no software other than which came already installed. When we teachers asked for software there was no money for it. The special ED department had a budget of their own and had had computers long before.
The special Ed teacher gave me some 5 1/4 floppy disks to use. They were almost all games. There was one with a ballistics program I decided to use. So I set up a rotating schedule where each day one student could work with that program on his/her own. Worked OK till one of the "punks" wanted me to give him a game to play. When I would not he damaged the disk so it could not work any more.
What is the point? The point is from time to time an idea takes hold which is very appealing and lots of people get onboard with gusto. The idea itself tickles their fancy so much they cannot stand to even consider any potential down side. The shinny new idea just has to be so wonderful that any downsides are to be ignored.

I await one of your considered replies.
That was 40 years ago. The job market is incredibly different. A 40 year difference in any other century didn't make much of a difference. Now it does.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
That was 40 years ago. The job market is incredibly different. A 40 year difference in any other century didn't make much of a difference. Now it does.
Hello; You appear to have missed the point. The 40 year old story was just to help make a point not to literally be compared to today. The point is in the last paragraph. Please carry on.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; You appear to have missed the point. The 40 year old story was just to help make a point not to literally be compared to today. The point is in the last paragraph. Please carry on.
That story is not relavent for today's job market. I know people who used to work in the coal and oil industry. They changed jobs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know people who used to work in the coal and oil industry. They changed jobs.
sure, if there were alternate jobs to be had and they had the aptitude for them.

If digging coal is what you know should you be forced to move to Wyoming, get certified as a welder and work the oil fields till the gov't then decides to outlaw that line of work in the pursuit of the biggest LIE of all time? If you're a bore-driller just how many non-coal bore-driller jobs do you think exist?

What gives some central gov't the right to trample the right to work, the right to life, the right to happiness? If coal and oil were as dangerous as Ebola, you might have a case. People were doing jobs because there was an economic need for it. There might be cases of worker shortages in spots around the country, sure, but we have significant under/un-employment as it is so regional friction issue aside, we're/were at "full" employment for all intents and purposes.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You guys are all debating with a guy who admits to being a troll and is likely uneducated about what he talks about.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sure, if there were alternate jobs to be had and they had the aptitude for them.

If digging coal is what you know should you be forced to move to Wyoming, get certified as a welder and work the oil fields till the gov't then decides to outlaw that line of work in the pursuit of the biggest LIE of all time? If you're a bore-driller just how many non-coal bore-driller jobs do you think exist?

What gives some central gov't the right to trample the right to work, the right to life, the right to happiness? If coal and oil were as dangerous as Ebola, you might have a case. People were doing jobs because there was an economic need for it. There might be cases of worker shortages in spots around the country, sure, but we have significant under/un-employment as it is so regional friction issue aside, we're/were at "full" employment for all intents and purposes.
Global warming is an issue.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Global warming is an issue.
I’m quite sure that he has a way of explaining the chart below. I mean, it’s not like the average global temp right now is higher than it’s ever been in the past 650,000 years or anything. I mean, like, it’s the sun...right?
Its not like CO2 levels even matter.

42E2B200-6D68-41B6-B304-E9F137170DBB.png

CB31E6A4-52B5-45F0-A18A-D23974FC1329.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Why do all these charts start after the little ice age? When the Thames in London froze and people lit bonfires on it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

The Little Ice Age (LIA) was a period of cooling that occurred after the Medieval Warm Period.[2] Although it was not a true ice age, the term was introduced into scientific literature by François E. Matthes in 1939.[3] It has been conventionally defined as a period extending from the 16th to the 19th centuries,[4][5][6] but some experts prefer an alternative timespan from about 1300[7] to about 1850.[8][9][10]

Thats like picking your start date in January and by April declaring that December is going to be so hot the world melts.

Why not go back a few million years.

I'll dig you out a link with a long term chart that shows a more realistic chart.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m quite sure that he has a way of explaining the chart below. I mean, it’s not like the average global temp right now is higher than it’s ever been in the past 650,000 years or anything. I mean, like, it’s the sun...right?
Its not like CO2 levels even matter.

42E2B200-6D68-41B6-B304-E9F137170DBB.png

CB31E6A4-52B5-45F0-A18A-D23974FC1329.jpeg
Al Gore is smarter than NASA.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Global warming or not cleaning up our environment is a good thing to do. Unfortunately many think that taking passenger cars off the road in North America and killing the oil business is the solution.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
...But alas they are harder to tax so not much attention paid to that. The most important part of carbon tax is TAX.
Yes another giant trip into the weeds.....carbon taxes and credits don't actually do anything for consumption or the environment. I'm not going to stop heating my house and going without hot water or fuel because it got more expensive.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.