Aircon stopped working

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
My aircon has started to malfunction intermittently. The problem first occurred in July this year - I was on a roadtrip through NQ. When I started up after a fuel stop, the aircon was not cooling (fans still operating). I drove for about 2 hours and shut the engine down (lunch break) and when I started up again it was working normally. All was ok until last weekend. Again the aircon was cooling ok and suddenly dropped out. Again worked ok after the engine was shut down and restarted.
Now it has done it 3 times today.
Ford dealer advises that they have not heard of the problem, and unless they can readily replicate it, would be difficult to diagnose and fix (not to mention expensive). My car was delivered in Oct 2016 - so no warranty.
Has anyone heard of this problem or seen a fix?
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
G'day Bernie, sorry to hear you're having an issue particularly with summer coming up in Brisbane. If it's working fine other than cutting out it thankfully doesn't seem like an evap issue as they seem to just stop all together. IMHO it sounds like a sensor, joint/plug, or compressor issue (of which a few have been reported). Have you had a look at plugs etc to make sure they're secure? When it stops next time, if you able to do so turn the a/c on and off and listen for the compressor kicking in. Not sure if you've searched the M6G site but it's well worth the time.

Clearly it's out of warranty so you might want to take it to an independent a/c place rather than a dealer.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My aircon has started to malfunction intermittently. The problem first occurred in July this year - I was on a roadtrip through NQ. When I started up after a fuel stop, the aircon was not cooling (fans still operating). I drove for about 2 hours and shut the engine down (lunch break) and when I started up again it was working normally. All was ok until last weekend. Again the aircon was cooling ok and suddenly dropped out. Again worked ok after the engine was shut down and restarted.
Now it has done it 3 times today.
Ford dealer advises that they have not heard of the problem, and unless they can readily replicate it, would be difficult to diagnose and fix (not to mention expensive). My car was delivered in Oct 2016 - so no warranty.
Has anyone heard of this problem or seen a fix?
How old is the battery?

Although clearly a different platform, my FG Falcon would disable the A/C if the battery was low on charge. Replace the battery or trickle charge and it would work again. Could explain the random malfunctioning of your a/c.

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
Thanks GT550 and DFB5.0 for your thoughts. I drove it for about 45 mins today and it works fine (for now). I am tending to think that it is software related. When it stops cooling I have had a look at the compressor and it is not engaged - so no electrical signal. The fact that it resets with engine shutdown and restart would indicate software. I have previously had problems with the ambient temp in this car. The dealer changed the ambient sensor but that did not fix the problem.
I have found the car management software (everything from entertainment system to air cond) to be "flakey". For example, I have about 700 tracks on a usb stick and leave it permanently in the car. The system regularly reverts to radio or just ignores where it is up to in the playlist and returns to the first track.
For now I will continue to gather evidence and see how it develops. Thanks again for your input.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
A bit deflated. My air con has gone for the third time. Exactly the same symptoms this time as the previous 2 failures. Have any others had more than one failure?

As I have said previously, the dealer has been excellent in both support and the repairs, with the dash now having been out twice. Ford have been great as well, replacing the evaporator outside warranty the second time.

My worry is when they stop doing it for free and I have to start paying for it.

It's at the dealership now and I should know more in the next few days.

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Graham sorry to hear it, that's pretty bad. Good to know the dealer and Ford have been looking after you. Don't worry about when they'll stop paying for it, address it when it happens or even get it fixed and move it on for a 2018 as it seems they don't have the problem. ACL is very clear about lifespans so if there's push back you're on solid ground and I suspect Ford knows it hence their willingness to replace units when they go out. That said, it can some down to an individual who might decide it's worth pushing back to see if you go away or just pay all or part. But like I said, think about it while it happens.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A bit deflated. My air con has gone for the third time.
Well, that sucks Graham.

My first replacement is still working fine - it does feel a bit like walking a tightrope, though.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Hi Graham sorry to hear it, that's pretty bad. Good to know the dealer and Ford have been looking after you. Don't worry about when they'll stop paying for it, address it when it happens or even get it fixed and move it on for a 2018 as it seems they don't have the problem. ACL is very clear about lifespans so if there's push back you're on solid ground and I suspect Ford knows it hence their willingness to replace units when they go out. That said, it can some down to an individual who might decide it's worth pushing back to see if you go away or just pay all or part. But like I said, think about it while it happens.
You are right @GT 550 there is no use worrying about something that may never happen, but I do think it is time to be a bit pro-active on the future possibilities. I would expect a car such as this should be good for 200,000 without catastrophic failures such as this so yes, I believe the ACL would be on our side.

Well, that sucks Graham.

My first replacement is still working fine - it does feel a bit like walking a tightrope, though.
Yes @Drewbo, I watched you suffer through your replacement hoping it would never happen to me. I am much the same now, thinking when is it going to go again. Based on my current average I need to allow for a new one every 2 years. My first replacement was my best. I got over 2 years out of it. The latest one has only been in since August last year, 5 months.

I thought they had found and fixed the problem and we were getting updated parts so this couldn't keep happening. Perhaps the updated parts for the newer models aren't compatible with the earlier models.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
You are right @GT 550 there is no use worrying about something that may never happen, but I do think it is time to be a bit pro-active on the future possibilities. I would expect a car such as this should be good for 200,000 without catastrophic failures such as this so yes, I believe the ACL would be on our side.

Yes @Drewbo, I watched you suffer through your replacement hoping it would never happen to me. I am much the same now, thinking when is it going to go again. Based on my current average I need to allow for a new one every 2 years. My first replacement was my best. I got over 2 years out of it. The latest one has only been in since August last year, 5 months.

I thought they had found and fixed the problem and we were getting updated parts so this couldn't keep happening. Perhaps the updated parts for the newer models aren't compatible with the earlier models.
Got good news yesterday. The mustang is fixed and the dash didn't have to come out. This time it was a compressor failure which was very obvious once they put the dye in.

Picked it up this afternoon and it's all good. At least Ford did the right thing doing the repairs under warranty again.

I'll have a new car soon if they keep replacing parts at this rate.

Socold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
FM GT
My AC stopped blowing cold air today, I'm the second owner and it looks like it was first registered in March 2016, anyone know what chance I have in getting a warranty fix?

Sponsored

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
My AC stopped blowing cold air today, I'm the second owner and it looks like it was first registered in March 2016, anyone know what chance I have in getting a warranty fix?
It can't hurt to ask. I've had 2 so far outside warranty so Ford are well aware of the problem.

I have a good relationship with my dealer and they have been fantastic. Try a larger dealer locally, preferably the one that sold the car, first and see how you go.

If you need help, pm me. Unfortunately I have become an expert at this.

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
I was advised by my dealer that the Ford Australia support program for the evaporator runs for 5 years from the date of sale. Mine was purchased in Oct 2016 and I have been having some ongoing AC issues. They have added a dye to my gas and topped it up. They said that we have until Oct this year (5 years) to try and pin it down (to the evaporator). I have had two recent trips to the dealer to attempt to diagnose it and I haven't been charged for either visit. They asked me to wait a month or two and bring it back. My car was sold and has been serviced by the same dealer. You may want to get it into a dealer before your 5 years elapses next month....

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
They said that we have until Oct this year (5 years) to try and pin it down (to the evaporator).
Interesting. Importance is usually placed on when the problem is reported, not when they get around to diagnosing it. It doesn't really matter how long it takes them to find it as that could rest on variables such as how competent the tech is and how motivated the dealership is to allocate time to a job they're not getting paid for.

If you're bored and can stand to go a round or two with the Walking Dead call Ford Australia and ask them to confirm what the dealer said re the 5 year timeframe.

FWIW here's a link to the current state of play wrt car warranties, 'lemons' and the ACL etc. Worth a read as a couple of things have changed recently:

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/consumer-rights-and-advice/your-rights/articles/what-to-do-if-your-new-car-is-a-lemon?utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/consumer-rights-and-advice/your-rights/articles/what-to-do-if-your-new-car-is-a-lemon&utm_campaign=Insider_210204_611028

Last edited:

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Considering date of joining and date of post I thought it must've been intentional. NotSocold?
Sponsored

Last edited: