Sponsored

Aircon stopped working

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@Bagration Hi Paul good to see it worked out well.

@Hornet why not go to a dealer, if it's as you suspect and they did Paul's gratis they might do the same on yours?
Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
@Bagration Hi Paul good to see it worked out well.

@Hornet why not go to a dealer, if it's as you suspect and they did Paul's gratis they might do the same on yours?
I'm outside of warranty.
I'll ask them, but i'd like part# so easier to advise them location or purcahse myself if they're stooges

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
I wonder if it was the ambient air sensor? Mines effed. Doesn't read properly, could be 20*c outside but it reads 45*c. I believe it can play some role in the aircon too...though perhaps maybe that's only when the 'auto' setting is used...

Any chance they gave you paperwork that says the part and part#? If it's the same part as whats gone on mine it'd be handy to be able to order from the part# alone
Hi Mate. Unhelpfully they did not - just the code for a repair action to check air conditioning and the labour (which was 0.00)

Sponsored

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Just to add to this. I had my a/c fail late last year. Around November/December 2019. Cold air stopped blowing on the driver side and it was still "ok" on the passenger side. I knew about the evaporators failing but in my case I opened up the engine bay and it sounded like the a/c compressor was dying. I had a mechanic buddy check the gas and he mentioned it was very low on gas and agreed that the compressor sounds like it was dying. a/c worked again but with the supercharger whine still there. I went to a local Ford dealer and got it replaced under warranty as they also agreed with our assumption. It's been working for about 6 months now, we'll see how it goes.

I usually have the a/c on for most of my drive regardless if it's hot or cold. I just set the temp to about 21/22 and let it do its thing. Car is not a daily driver, mostly just driven on the weekend.

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Just to add to this. I had my a/c fail late last year. Around November/December 2019. Cold air stopped blowing on the driver side and it was still "ok" on the passenger side. I knew about the evaporators failing but in my case I opened up the engine bay and it sounded like the a/c compressor was dying. I had a mechanic buddy check the gas and he mentioned it was very low on gas and agreed that the compressor sounds like it was dying. a/c worked again but with the supercharger whine still there. I went to a local Ford dealer and got it replaced under warranty as they also agreed with our assumption. It's been working for about 6 months now, we'll see how it goes.

I usually have the a/c on for most of my drive regardless if it's hot or cold. I just set the temp to about 21/22 and let it do its thing. Car is not a daily driver, mostly just driven on the weekend.
Hi FM GT thanks for posting. Can you tell us if you were still covered by warranty when Ford replaced it or just outside of warranty and they still treated it as a warranty job?
Hope it's sorted for you. I'm waiting to go back to the dealer and have the evap replaced but it's holding up since the regas as I haven't done a thousand k's in nearly six months!!! Not a daily and Covid

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
I had both the Ford warranty on it (although on the cusp of ending) and the extended AHG warranty on it that also covered a failing a/c compressor. Ford dealer was AHG as well. Basically just went "yep, we confirmed the compressor is failing, we've ordered the part and it should be ready for pick up tomorrow". Wasn't charged anything.

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I had both the Ford warranty on it (although on the cusp of ending) and the extended AHG warranty on it that also covered a failing a/c compressor. Ford dealer was AHG as well. Basically just went "yep, we confirmed the compressor is failing, we've ordered the part and it should be ready for pick up tomorrow". Wasn't charged anything.
Good to hear !

Sponsored

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Well I had good news yesterday. My air con was replaced about 3 years ago (under warranty) and has now gone again. I'm 10 months out of warranty now.

The dealer checked it out and submitted it as a warranty claim and it was approved yesterday.

Glad to know they are willing to do the right thing when these things happen.

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Well I had good news yesterday. My air con was replaced about 3 years ago (under warranty) and has now gone again. I'm 10 months out of warranty now.

The dealer checked it out and submitted it as a warranty claim and it was approved yesterday.

Glad to know they are willing to do the right thing when these things happen.
Unfortunate to have the problem but great news that Ford is backing it's product and customers!

FordGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
An update on what was confirmed to be a failed evaporator.
Ford did cover the cost of replacement even though the warranty had expired!
I was very concerned about having the dash out but can also report that after collecting the car today all seems well. Thanks to Ford for standing by their product and to Maugham Tiem Ford for a job well done!

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
An update on what was confirmed to be a failed evaporator.
Ford did cover the cost of replacement even though the warranty had expired!
I was very concerned about having the dash out but can also report that after collecting the car today all seems well. Thanks to Ford for standing by their product and to Maugham Tiem Ford for a job well done!
It is reassuring to see they did the right thing by you as well. At least that shows that fixing these known problems is a company policy rather than just a one off. I just hope the same thing happens if my 2016 oil cooler decides to let go.
Sponsored