Sponsored

My car was involved in a hit and run...insurance is being a real pain

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Hi guys,

Last week my car was involved in a hit and run while parked on the street. (driver side)

About $7000 in damages total.

At first, my insurance company was super nice, offering a rental car, and a few days ago they approved the work order at carstar.

However, suddenly, they became suspicious over the fact that there are two dents on the passenger side which was not hit.

When I claimed the damages, I said my car had no damage whatsoever (it did not)

And now they are suspending my rental car privilidges, have assigned me to a special investigations unit investigator, and they will send an engineer to look at the car and determine if it was part of the crash.

It could have hit a pole, who knows? but their attitude is to treat me like a crook and I am getting slightly nervous.

If the engineer says it wasnt part of the accident, the entire claim gets DENIED. (they cant even just fix the hit and run part)

My friend says I should just withdraw the claim because they could charge me with fraud, but the truth of the matter was that the dents were not on the car when I left it.

If they deny my claim, will it make it harder to get insurance in the future?
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
If they deny your claim then you need to go get a lawyer.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So - why would you say “it could have hit a pole - who knows”?

I mean, no offense - but how and where was the car situated when you came out and found it? Did you take pics of it as it was when found?

If there was nothing on the other side of the car when it was hit - then they would need to examine how the car was positioned. They need to figure out if those “dents” are sheet metal stress damages caused when the car was hit on the driver side.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Don't post about shit like this on a forum until everything is settled. It's not going to work in your favor.

Just let the insurance company do their thing and if they do what you don't like/ deny you get a lawyer.

"It could have hit a pole, who knows". Wtf does that even mean lol.

Even if you edit it out now there's multiple instances in this thread repeating that.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
So - why would you say “it could have hit a pole - who knows”?

I mean, no offense - but how and where was the car situated when you came out and found it? Did you take pics of it as it was when found?

If there was nothing on the other side of the car when it was hit - then they would need to examine how the car was positioned. They need to figure out if those “dents” are sheet metal stress damages caused when the car was hit on the driver side.
It's highly unlikely a hit and run on the driver's side door would ripple the passenger side door.

It takes quite a good impact from the front or the rear to do that and the ripples normally will show up in the rear quarter panels. The front fenders normally get mangled. For the ripples and dents to show up in the door the quarters / fenders normally need to be pushed into them.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
yeah, please elaborate on "it could have hit a pole, who knows?". wouldnt YOU know?

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Did you look at the two dents?

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Looking back, its quite possibly could have been there before the hit and run and I was oblivious to this.

Should I be honest about this to the insurance company? Or will that screw me over more?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Looking back, its quite possibly could have been there before the hit and run and I was oblivious to this.

Should I be honest about this to the insurance company? Or will that screw me over more?
When dealing with insurance honesty is always the best policy.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt

if you dont want to possibly be accused of fraud...then yeah..id go with honesty.

especially if you are posting about it all over the place. These threads aren't hard to find.

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
What if I am honest with them and they say something like "Well you lied on your initial report, so therefore this claim is invalid"

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Lol !!! I have to admit, after reading your other threads, I don’t believe you are smart enough to pull off insurance fraud. I think sometimes you just need to remain “Silent”

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Hold on, you’re claiming for damage on the driver side and only the driver side, they found damage on the passenger side that you didn’t know of and didn’t claim as part of the damage and they’re hassling you about it? WTF? I can understand if you claimed the passenger side damage as part of the hit and run but it wasn’t and they denied your claim because of that but you didn’t. Did it get towed to the body shop and incurred damage in the process? Maybe the body shop hit it? When my wife’s car was in the body shop, they scratched the side that wasn’t damaged and had to repaint the scratched side and replace the tail light. They paid for it since it was their fault. The manager was totally nice about it. He figured that if the car didn’t come in with scratches then it shouldn’t leave with scratches.

Who are you insured with? Just so I know to stay from that company because they seem shady AF.

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Hold on, you’re claiming for damage on the driver side and only the driver side, they found damage on the passenger side that you didn’t know of and didn’t claim as part of the damage and they’re hassling you about it? WTF? I can understand if you claimed the passenger side damage as part of the hit and run but it wasn’t and they denied your claim because of that but you didn’t. Did it get towed to the body shop and incurred damage in the process? Maybe the body shop hit it? When my wife’s car was in the body shop, they scratched the side that wasn’t damaged and had to repaint the scratched side and replace the tail light. They paid for it since it was their fault. The manager was totally nice about it. He figured that if the car didn’t come in with scratches then it shouldn’t leave with scratches.

Who are you insured with? Just so I know to stay from that company because they seem shady AF.

Yes that's the case.

They asked me if there was any prior damage to my car and I answered "no" (without thinking of the nitty picky)

the worst part about this is that the special investigations unit lady is threatening to deny my entire claim if she finds out that the side passenger dense are unrelated to the hit and run
Sponsored