Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Although I acknowledge that Ford is a business, intent on making money, I’m not sure it’s worth causing a fuss over something that hasn’t happened yet that we know of (any warranty denial, big or small.)
Ah yes, why take action now when we can just wait until people start losing tens of thousands of dollars on purchases that they wouldn’t have made in the first place if they knew the consequences?

Seriously, do some of you nut-swingers even think before you type? :facepalm:
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Ah yes, why take action now when we can just wait until people start losing tens of thousands of dollars on purchases that they wouldn’t have made in the first place if they knew the consequences?

Seriously, do some of you nut-swingers even think before you type? :facepalm:
My absolute favorite part about your post is that you didn’t spellcheck before you hit post, and then had to go back and edit “but-swingers” to “nut-swingers”. “Seriously, do some of you but-swingers even think before you type?”...... seems relevant.

My point is, no matter what FP tells Tom in an email, the supplement says what it says. If you currently own a 2020 350 or 500, that’s what Ford is going to go by if they want to.

Also, I seriously doubt the discovery of that language in the supplement will drive anyone to sell their car or deter anyone from purchasing the car (but I may be wrong about that.)

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
You sir, win! Such a great movie.

LOL, thanks. Just wanted to inject a little humor into this thread. Lots of great points being discussed and kudos to Tomster to be perisistent with Ford/Ford Performance in regards to warranty language. But I think the proof is in the many GT350/GT350R owners that track their cars regularly with no significant issues or problems. And much cheaper to rebuild/maintain a Voodoo V8, tremec transmission, Torsen rear differential versus similar performing sports car like a Porsche GT3 (centerlocking hubs, PDK-S transmission, Flat 6 engine, rear wheel steering components, more complicated cooling system, etc.)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Right.... So what exactly are you hoping to hear from FP? Are you hoping for them to tell you in fact that zero track use is covered? Looking for them to tell you the lawyers made them do it but they don’t plan to enforce it? Or perhaps “The dude who wrote the supplement made a grave error, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention.”

Although I acknowledge that Ford is a business, intent on making money, I’m not sure it’s worth causing a fuss over something that hasn’t happened yet that we know of (any warranty denial, big or small.) As others have suggested, it most likely got added to give Ford an out if someone truly is abusing the warranty (but I don’t think you’ll ever get a Ford employee to admit that on the record.)

Fun fact, the Ford ESP still does not include the language saying track use voids the warranty.
So you are suggesting to not make a fuss and let someone be a guinea pig when their engine or transmission blows? What do I hope to gain? Either a review of the intent of the warranty and a correction, or disclosure that there was no mistake so that someone doesn't get stuck with a $30-$60K repair bill when they truly didn't have any idea. If you take your car on the track, it should be an informed decision.

The problem with your logic is that the car was designed, marketed, and built for track use. All the previous year GT350s had a warranty that was inclusive of track use. Why should anyone be satisfied with a radical departure of the warranties of previous years? You suggest that it is ok for ford to have an ace up their sleeve where they can use it to deny a warranty claim? What you suggest is selective denial of warranty claims. That to me is unacceptable.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I think personally that covering all track use with a warranty is pretty difficult to do. Some people get an awful lot of track miles on a car. Track use is also really hard on any vehicle. The GT350 supplement recommends 150 thousand mile service before and after track use. Pretty extreme, but I would think the 150 thousand mile service should be performed at least once per year if you are regularly attending track events. Once every other year IMO is pushing it to the absolute limit of how long you could wait to perform that service on a vehicle that is tracked regularly. And who thinks that their warranty should cover their car for 150 thousand miles?
where does it say to do the 150k service that often? I'm only looking at my 2019 supplement, but I don't see that.....

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
where does it say to do the 150k service that often? I'm only looking at my 2019 supplement, but I don't see that.....
Just wanted to point out @Hack said that, not me.

I agree, I only saw the requirement for oil change after a track event. If there is another requirement I’d be interested where it is.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
oops, sorry haha! lots of info in here!

I don't even see where oil change is suggested other than following the oil life meter.

I've done diff fluid once and plan to do trans fluid in 2021, I don't think the trans gets as hot so wasn't as worried about doing more frequent on that.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

I don't even see where oil change is suggested other than following the oil life meter.

I've done diff fluid once and plan to do trans fluid in 2021, I don't think the trans gets as hot so wasn't as worried about doing more frequent on that.
After a track weekend, I change oil, trans, and diff fluids. Brakes are torn apart, cleaned, and new rotors and pads installed if there is any significant wear.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

I swear I remember reading an oil change was required after a track day, but I couldn’t find it just now when scanning quickly. I’ll re-read tonight and report back... I may be wrong.

Diff and tranny sound like a good idea, probably something I should add to the list before next season.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
After a track weekend, I change oil, trans, and diff fluids. Brakes are torn apart, cleaned, and new rotors and pads installed if there is any significant wear.
wow... that's far more frequent than I'm doing!

I do pull and swap wheels every track day so brakes and tires are always inspected and pad thickness measured daily and often visually every session along with tire wear, but I'm probably putting 6 to 8 days on each oil change. Blackstone says it can handle more but I already feel like I'm pushing it. Diff was done after 9 days, and around 5k miles total... I plan on closer to 10k intervals going forward unless my # of track days goes up significantly.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Right.... So what exactly are you hoping to hear from FP? Are you hoping for them to tell you in fact that zero track use is covered? Looking for them to tell you the lawyers made them do it but they don’t plan to enforce it? Or perhaps “The dude who wrote the supplement made a grave error, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention.”

Although I acknowledge that Ford is a business, intent on making money, I’m not sure it’s worth causing a fuss over something that hasn’t happened yet that we know of (any warranty denial, big or small.) As others have suggested, it most likely got added to give Ford an out if someone truly is abusing the warranty (but I don’t think you’ll ever get a Ford employee to admit that on the record.)

Fun fact, the Ford ESP still does not include the language saying track use voids the warranty.
That's how I feel about the matter, while it can't hurt to get some clarification, we won't really know if the change has any meaning unless someone gets a stroke of bad luck and has a claim denied.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My absolute favorite part about your post is that you didn’t spellcheck before you hit post, and then had to go back and edit “but-swingers” to “nut-swingers”. “Seriously, do some of you but-swingers even think before you type?”...... seems relevant.
Holy fuck, you really think you hit a gold mine by pointing out that I accidentally hit “B” instead of “n” (which are right next to each other on a keyboard, meaning people who don’t have manlet hands may accidentally hit one instead of the other), resulting in using a word that IS still a word, but not the correct one. Oh man, what a fuckin burn dude! You should be on a Comedy Central roast to point out that one time that multi-millionaire typed “U” instead of “I”

My point is, no matter what FP tells Tom in an email, the supplement says what it says. If you currently own a 2020 350 or 500, that’s what Ford is going to go by if they want to.
Or, it could be an error, and can be corrected. You don’t know the outcome any more than anyone else does, so you have no reason to fault anyone for requesting clarification.

Also, I seriously doubt the discovery of that language in the supplement will drive anyone to sell their car or deter anyone from purchasing the car (but I may be wrong about that.)
You are wrong. If someone is looking to buy a track car to take it to the track, but then is told they aren’t allowed to take it to the track, are they still going to buy it?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
You are wrong. If someone is looking to buy a track car to take it to the track, but then is told they aren’t allowed to take it to the track, are they still going to buy it?
depends on the person, buying cars out of warranty is not unusual for most people, and lots of us take the risk of collision damage without buying the track insurance. Depends on risk tolerance and discretionary spending budgets.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Holy fuck, you really think you hit a gold mine by pointing out that I accidentally hit “B” instead of “n” (which are right next to each other on a keyboard, meaning people who don’t have manlet hands may accidentally hit one instead of the other), resulting in using a word that IS still a word, but not the correct one. Oh man, what a fuckin burn dude! You should be on a Comedy Central roast to point out that one time that multi-millionaire typed “U” instead of “I”

Or, it could be an error, and can be corrected. You don’t know the outcome any more than anyone else does, so you have no reason to fault anyone for requesting clarification.

Dude, take it easy. I’m not faulting him for wanting clarification, I was just trying to figure out what his motivations were for asking.

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
I’ve passed up on a GT500 that could have been had at MSRP solely because of this. I have zero desire to spend $80k on a car that has this wording in the warranty supplement.

In my line of work of flying planes I have no tolerance for accepting grey areas. If it’s not black and white, I’m not comfortable. Grey areas and “it should be ok” type situations are recipes for disaster. This warranty issues is making me feel similar to how I view those uncertainties at work. Either the areas of concern are rectified to black and white leaving no doubt or I’m not moving. Same thing with spending this kind of money or a high performance sports car. Until warranty language is changed and I am now covered with written word, I will not be purchasing this car.

Thats just one potential customers perspective obviously.
Sponsored