Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP paint issues! (big wet sanding and polishing project video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I tackle all the paint problems my 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack arrived with. The car has 10.5 miles on it at the time of this video and went straight from the dealer to my house in my enclosed trailer. It received its 1st wash and then all the issues were discovered. Four days of wet sanding (including on the $10k painted stripes as well as the carbon fiber wing) and extensive polishing ensued. Follow along while I work to fix this car's paint before sending it in for PPF and ceramic!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Welcome to the club. PPF hides most blemishes, but some it won't. Most of my PPF is done, but I am off to get warranty pait work done. It seems the 10k special sauce wasn't so special.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Superb video Tim.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Welcome to the club. PPF hides most blemishes, but some it won't. Most of my PPF is done, but I am off to get warranty pait work done. It seems the 10k special sauce wasn't so special.
The $10k painted stripes are quite lovely, especially after the correction. The bird shit was a challenge. I wasn’t sure if I was going to burn through the clear before the problems were erased.
Superb video Tim.
Thank you sir! It takes a crap load of time to edit it all... I appreciate the kind words!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, Tim does make good videos. Its nice to see someone do this kind of content without having to resort to clickbait and drama.

Hey Tim, It has been discovered that they mount the wing and torque it down to the deck lid before the paint cures. It leaves an indentation in the paint and the holes that were drilled for the mounts are not primed or painted. Do you plan to address this?

I plan to have my body shop look at the concern and advise. I will at the very least prime and paint where the holes were drilled.

Here is the link
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/has-anyone-removed-a-cftp-wing-mount-yet.147447/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Yes, Tim does make good videos. Its nice to see someone do this kind of content without having to resort to clickbait and drama.

Hey Tim, It has been discovered that they mount the wing and torque it down to the deck lid before the paint cures. It leaves an indentation in the paint and the holes that were drilled for the mounts are not primed or painted. Do you plan to address this?

I plan to have my body shop look at the concern and advise. I will at the very least prime and paint where the holes were drilled.

Here is the link
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/has-anyone-removed-a-cftp-wing-mount-yet.147447/
Thanks Tomster!

That’s good info regarding the bare metal holes. As you saw in the video, water gets trapped under the mounts and stays there for quite awhile. This will definitely be a corrosion liability down the road. My car will rarely, if ever get wet, but I most likely will remove the mounts and address the unfinished holes to prevent any future problems.

Thanks for the info!

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Very nice video for sure it would have taken me a day to edit and post if not more lol
BTW love the 2000 R it has always been one of my favorite Mustangs ever since I saw it in a dealership but was out of my reach lol

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tomster!

That’s good info regarding the bare metal holes. As you saw in the video, water gets trapped under the mounts and stays there for quite awhile. This will definitely be a corrosion liability down the road. My car will rarely, if ever get wet, but I most likely will remove the mounts and address the unfinished holes to prevent any future problems.

Thanks for the info!
Same with me, I figure since it is going into the shop, why not get it taken care of? Mine doesn't see rain either (if I can help it), but it really is the principle of buying a $107K car..... This kind of stuff shouldn't be.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Very nice video for sure it would have taken me a day to edit and post if not more lol
BTW love the 2000 R it has always been one of my favorite Mustangs ever since I saw it in a dealership but was out of my reach lol
Thank you sir! My 00R has always been my favorite Mustang... it’s just a different, raw experience. Now with a 2020 GT500, I have TWO favorites!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thank you sir! My 00R has always been my favorite Mustang... it’s just a different, raw experience. Now with a 2020 GT500, I have TWO favorites!
Yep, I know the feeling. Its a first world problem when you walk into the garage and have to choose which one you want to drive today. I must say, I'm really having fun with the base R lately.

As for the CFTP, I don't like the idea of handing it over to another shop for another week.

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Tim, which overhead light fixtures did you go with, brand and specs?

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I know the feeling. Its a first world problem when you walk into the garage and have to choose which one you want to drive today. I must say, I'm really having fun with the base R lately.

As for the CFTP, I don't like the idea of handing it over to another shop for another week.
Handing it over to another shop... for PPF?

Tim, which overhead light fixtures did you go with, brand and specs?
I got them a handful of years ago. I bought 30 Lights Of America 4500 lumens 4’ LED shop lights. Sams Club has them in a 2 pack. They are fantastic!

This might be them, or an updated version of them:

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/project/8140se2-wh5/

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
I am so surprised you don't use any tape on the plastics and trim when buffing. It only takes on slip to mess an expensive peace up. Props to you. Beautiful end result.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Handing it over to another shop... for PPF?

I got them a handful of years ago. I bought 30 Lights Of America 4500 lumens 4’ LED shop lights. Sams Club has them in a 2 pack. They are fantastic!

This might be them, or an updated version of them:

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/project/8140se2-wh5/
No, I had to stop the PPF due to a paint defect on my bumper cover. My CF wing was defective as well. I'll have a replacement next week. So the car is off to the body shop, then a long wait for the paint to cure, then back to PPF and done.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
No, I had to stop the PPF due to a paint defect on my bumper cover. My CF wing was defective as well. I'll have a replacement next week. So the car is off to the body shop, then a long wait for the paint to cure, then back to PPF and done.
Well CRAP! Hopefully it all gets shaken out rather quickly and you can hit the best driving season sooner vs. later.

I have still not driven my CFTP more than a couple hundred feet. I was told to expect it ready later Wednesday. Then comes the 100 mile break in (currently at 10.5 miles)... then comes LET IT RIP!:rockon:
Sponsored