Sponsored

Ford data collection / 4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good job. But have a question for you: Is the TCU present only on cars with HotSpot Wi-Fi? Forgot how Ford calls it. I ask because 2019 Bullitts don't have it (2020s do), so my guess is there's no modem in my car. But rather ask, since removing fuse #10 should be easy. And that brings my second question: Where exactly do you have to pull the fuse cover to access that fuse? From behind? And you just pull until it snaps out? I ask because I'm afraid to do anything to this car anymore, with such flimsy tabs, etc. Don't want to break anything :D. Thank you.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Right side of the passenger foot well, there is a triangle-ish shaped panel - lift up, swing it towards you, pull out. Fuse panel is right behind that triangle.

I'd wager your owners manual is the same as mine as the fuse chart i used came from the base 2019 Mustang owner's manual, not the GT350 supplement. There are two fuse boxes - engine compartment and passenger compartment. Passenger compartment fuse 10 is listed as telematics:

uamkdft-jpg.jpg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks brother. But you didn't answer my main question. Is there a modem/telematics on ALL Mustangs??? Technically, only the ones equipped with Hot-Spot Wi-Fi have a modem (part of the 401A package now, I believe), so not sure if you need one or not for Ford to 'spy' on the rest of us. Ha ha. My Bullitt only has Wi-Fi capability, like to download software updates, but I never set it up, so useless for that purpose. And it only works when parked anyway. Are you sure my car is transmitting info constantly without the Hot-Spot modem? Thx.

If you need a modem, only a small percentage of Mustangs are equipped with one, so we wouldn't have to worry about pulling that fuse :).

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Sorry, I meant to address that. I don't know how they're all equipped, but someone else has stated that it is a 2019 and up thing. My 2019 Mustang owner's manual lists that fuse as telematics, and I've confirmed that pulling it shuts off the modem. If you do not have a modem, the only other feasible way of collecting data would be through Wi-Fi, so it would appear you are clear :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey OP, does your car have Wi-Fi Hot-Spot??? That would be a good way to know if only cars with the modem can transfer info. SInce my car has GPS, it could conceivably do that too, even without a modem. Or at least the same modem Wi-Fi Hot-Spot cars have. Curious if your car has that feature. There could be 2 different modems. Hmmmm.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Hey OP, does your car have Wi-Fi Hot-Spot??? That would be a good way to know if only cars with the modem can transfer info. SInce my car has GPS, it could conceivably do that too, even without a modem. Or at least the same modem Wi-Fi Hot-Spot cars have. Curious if your car has that feature. There could be 2 different modems. Hmmmm.
Mine does. And definitely only the 4G modem is going to be sending data - the GPS antenna serves an entirely different purpose.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Excellent. That's what I wanted to hear. Ha ha. Since yours does have the 4G modem, only cars equipped with that feature need to worry about pulling the fuse. And there are very few, compared to Mustangs sold. Glad my car doesn't, since I'd never use that crap anyway. Thank you for the clarification.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks brother. But you didn't answer my main question. Is there a modem/telematics on ALL Mustangs??? Technically, only the ones equipped with Hot-Spot Wi-Fi have a modem (part of the 401A package now, I believe), so not sure if you need one or not for Ford to 'spy' on the rest of us. Ha ha. My Bullitt only has Wi-Fi capability, like to download software updates, but I never set it up, so useless for that purpose. And it only works when parked anyway. Are you sure my car is transmitting info constantly without the Hot-Spot modem? Thx.

If you need a modem, only a small percentage of Mustangs are equipped with one, so we wouldn't have to worry about pulling that fuse :).
2019 Bullitts don't have the necessary modem, so you're safe. It was an error on Ford's part apparently.
Sponsored