AC Compressor Took a Dump

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I need to vent a bit. My 2015 mustang has 4500 miles on it and the AC compressor failed. These things aren't cheap. The dealer and I both called Ford to see if they would partially cover this since the car has such low millage but they wouldn't hear of it. They just said since it's over 3 years old I was on my own, by the way you have a recall, goodbye! They could have at least given a discount on parts but nope. Apparently customer loyalty means absolutely nothing to Ford. I'm rethinking the idea of getting a GT500 or Mach-1. What a slap in the face after 2 mustangs, 2 Focus, a Fiesta, and about 10 other assorted Fords that I recommended to family members.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

I need to vent a bit. My 2015 mustang has 4500 miles on it and the AC compressor failed. These things aren't cheap. The dealer and I both called Ford to see if they would partially cover this since the car has such low millage but they wouldn't hear of it. They just said since it's over 3 years old I was on my own, by the way you have a recall, goodbye! They could have at least given a discount on parts but nope. Apparently customer loyalty means absolutely nothing to Ford. I'm rethinking the idea of getting a GT500 or Mach-1. What a slap in the face after 2 mustangs, 2 Focus, a Fiesta, and about 10 other assorted Fords that I recommended to family members.
An AC compressor is around $300, not expensive at all. I would be willing to bet its actually your AC compressor clutch that failed, just that mechanics would rather replace the whole compressor while they are in there. You can get a compressor or clutch on rock auto or amazon. Just replace it and drive on.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
My ac compressor also failed car has 14,500 ford also denied me the warranty had to buy it $300.
Service tech told me it had a leak they used freon with a dye said most probably the internal seals got damaged.
Before this the ac evaporator failed car had 10,000 miles but that part they gave it under warranty.
Its amazing that such a brand new car has had problems with the ac.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I dunno, I find it hard to get mad at a large company for not giving a freebie on a non essential item, personally. Sure, it would have been nice of them, but getting mad about it is kinda pointless. This is part of the risk of simply not using a car, most defective stuff breaks in the first 10K, and you haven't even hit 5K yet. Now if it was the condenser that failed, that's different because its a well known weak point on the 15-17 cars and Ford has warrantied thousands of them by now.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
The AC compressor is meant to be used. At least once in a while. The low milage suggests, that the AC compressor was rarely used and that could actually be the reason for the failure.

And I totally understand that you are unhappy that something breaks on a car with such a low milage.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A few more items to note:
If it is just the compressor, you might only need to replace the field coil or the clutch - those are the 2 most common parts that fail on a A/C compressor and cost less to replace/repair than the entire compressor itself. Have a shop give you another opinion on what the problem really is, because it might not be an entire compressor replacement.

If the system is low on Freon, the compressor won’t kick on via the A/C pressure switch in the engine bay... if that’s the case, then it’s possible you have the EVAP issue.

OP
OP

Ryan1112

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I had the dealer replace the compressor on Monday since I've never done it and it's so hot out. I know it's out of warranty and I'm not trying to get a freebie. I just wanted a discount on parts. It just doesn't sit right that Ford should make money on a replacement compressor when the one it replaced only had 4500 miles in the car. Whatever, it's done now and it's blowing freezing air again. I'll get over it at some point. I appreciate everyone's advice and help.

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
A few more items to note:
If it is just the compressor, you might only need to replace the field coil or the clutch - those are the 2 most common parts that fail on a A/C compressor and cost less to replace/repair than the entire compressor itself. Have a shop give you another opinion on what the problem really is, because it might not be an entire compressor replacement.

If the system is low on Freon, the compressor won’t kick on via the A/C pressure switch in the engine bay... if that’s the case, then it’s possible you have the EVAP issue.
What are the typical signs of a bad EVAP? I am currently diagnosing my system. I believe it is my compressor and not my EVAP but i could be wrong because I don't have any experience on this topic.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What are the typical signs of a bad EVAP? I am currently diagnosing my system. I believe it is my compressor and not my EVAP but i could be wrong because I don't have any experience on this topic.
Here ya go, it’s probably one of the largest threads on this site - lots of info about EVAP failures:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a-c-evaporator-factory-defect.62682/

In short - most significant sign is warm air coming out of the vents and no changes if having system recharged.

Robpacific

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I had evap fail 2 summers ago. Last summer they said the port was leaking so they replaced the line. Now the compressor exploded spewing chunks everywhere and throughout the system.

My question is did you only have the compressor replaced or replace entire system? $3.3k on top of the $2k already paid is nuts.
Sponsored