Sponsored

AC Compressor failed

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Brought my 17 GT in for an oil change to my mechanic and also had him check out a whirling noise when I turned on my AC. Turns out my compressor is bad...of course this happens a few months out of warranty. Hoping this isn’t a big repair but from what I read, this is a $2k repair? Any truth to this? Sheesh.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I've not had a compressor fail in a long time, but $2K sounds like too much. Advance has rebuilts from $280 to $770. Two hours labor: $250.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
$2k is for the condenser which requires the dash being ripped apart. If it’s just the compressor it’s a much less labor intensive job.

Was the AC working ok?

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
$2k is for the condenser which requires the dash being ripped apart. If it’s just the compressor it’s a much less labor intensive job.

Was the AC working ok?
No cold air when the AC is on.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
If you're lucky it will only be the compressor. As long as it didn't grenade and pump metal trash into the refrigerant liquid line, you should be OK. Even then, there's a receiver drier in the line to the evaporator core (that's what's in the dash) that will catch most of it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

A complete AC Compressor kit is around $300 on Amazon from UAC. Same warranty as Motorcraft.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Yep, good idea. If you're going to do it yourself, plan to replace the liquid line (it has an orifice tube in it that can get plugged over time) and the receiver drier.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Brought my 17 GT in for an oil change to my mechanic and also had him check out a whirling noise when I turned on my AC. Turns out my compressor is bad...of course this happens a few months out of warranty. Hoping this isn’t a big repair but from what I read, this is a $2k repair? Any truth to this? Sheesh.
How many miles are on the car?

Did the Tech diagnose it as being the A/C compressor and NOT the EVAP core issue? The common S550 EVAP core R&R is close to $2k due to the extensive labor hours involved with having to remove the entire dash assembly to get to the HVAC box behind the glove box.

The A/C compressor, refrigerant recharge and labor should not be anywhere close to $2k...

If your accrued miles is not too far from the 3/36k, you can try calling the Ford 800# and seeing if the Regional CSR for your area would be willing to offer some repair assistance. They *might* offer to help with adjusting the repair cost only IF you’re not way out there in miles from the 3/36k...

Your other option would be to invest in an extended warranty through Flood Ford if you intend on keeping the car much longer. Some of the ESP’s will cover A/C components, but you must read the “what is not covered” in the plan descriptions to see if or if not a certain component would cost you repair fees.

A few more items to note:
If it is just the compressor, you might only need to replace the field coil or the clutch - those are the 2 most common parts that fail on a A/C compressor and cost less to replace/repair than the entire compressor itself. Have a shop give you another opinion on what the problem really is, because it might not be an entire compressor replacement.

If the system is low on Freon, the compressor won’t kick on via the A/C pressure switch in the engine bay... if that’s the case, then it’s possible you have the EVAP issue.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How many miles are on the car?

Did the Tech diagnose it as being the A/C compressor and NOT the EVAP core issue? The common S550 EVAP core R&R is close to $2k due to the extensive labor hours involved with having to remove the entire dash assembly to get to the HVAC box behind the glove box.

The A/C compressor, refrigerant recharge and labor should not be anywhere close to $2k...

If your accrued miles is not too far from the 3/36k, you can try calling the Ford 800# and seeing if the Regional CSR for your area would be willing to offer some repair assistance. They *might* offer to help with adjusting the repair cost only IF you’re not way out there in miles from the 3/36k...

Your other option would be to invest in an extended warranty through Flood Ford if you intend on keeping the car much longer. Some of the ESP’s will cover A/C components, but you must read the “what is not covered” in the plan descriptions to see if or if not a certain component would cost you repair fees.

A few more items to note:
If it is just the compressor, you might only need to replace the field coil or the clutch - those are the 2 most common parts that fail on a A/C compressor and cost less to replace/repair than the entire compressor itself. Have a shop give you another opinion on what the problem really is, because it might not be an entire compressor replacement.

If the system is low on Freon, the compressor won’t kick on via the A/C pressure switch in the engine bay... if that’s the case, then it’s possible you have the EVAP issue.
Thanks for the info. Some great suggestions. I’m at 32k miles but about 3-4 months out of warranty. Don’t know for sure the issue since my mechanic suggested I try Ford first. Will post an update once I get a final diagnosis.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just received an estimate for $3300. I need both a new compressor and evaporator. This is insane. I never had a car AC go out on me Like this in 20+ years of car ownership with all different models....at 30k miles no less.

This is a terrible look on Fords part and I can say this is likely my first and last Ford. I know cars break down from time to time but for this to happen at 30k miles is inexcusable. Looks like my entire dash has to come out.

I’m willing to pay for the repair but now it’s in my mind that I could potentially have this problem again in 20-30k miles? Seems incredible.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Just received an estimate for $3300. I need both a new compressor and evaporator. This is insane. I never had a car AC go out on me Like this in 20+ years of car ownership with all different models....at 30k miles no less.

This is a terrible look on Fords part and I can say this is likely my first and last Ford. I know cars break down from time to time but for this to happen at 30k miles is inexcusable. Looks like my entire dash has to come out.

I’m willing to pay for the repair but now it’s in my mind that I could potentially have this problem again in 20-30k miles? Seems incredible.
Contact Ford customer service directly, folks have been getting compensation for AC/Evaporator replacements. I would take it to another dealer for a second look. AC compressor is only $300 and an easy change. There is a TSB for the evaporator fail, check the evaporator thread for info.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
The compressor in my GT failed with just 14,500miles and the evaporator also failed with 12,000miles made a thread a few days back.
Its the only negative part of this car the rest has been stealth.
300 bucks will cost you a new compressor.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What your car will look like if your AC Evap and compressor fails.
9808864C-079E-4B67-8420-F13CF672748C.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Man, there's no f***ing way that car will be put together like it was before. OP, your car is still within the mileage warranty, and only 4 months out, so it'd be unbelievable if Ford doesn't at least eats half of the repair cost when it's for a known issue. I'd fight for that like hell. In fact, ask for the whole thing to be covered, so it settles at half as the worst case scenario. I would not want to keep a car that has to be dismantled like that. Geez.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That sucks man.
Sponsored