Sponsored

Rant time...what's the worst thing about your Mustang?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a super duty F-150, 48 gallon tank........
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
What the hell car has a 26 gallon tank?
skyline gtr35 has 80L tank, many everyday cars had 80L plus tanks purely for fuel range even though they might do 40+mpg and that's UK gallons 4.5L not US :giggle: Nowadays it's about saving the weight of 20litres of fuel (about 20kg) while they fit 50kg seats with motors in them and pig iron chassis that rust. Pah. Still bought one though :sunglasses:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Mustang tank is 16-gal, not 26. Is there an aftermarket fuel tank? I'd like 18.5 as a minimum, but for this car, 20 would be an acceptable number IMO. No sense in spending money just for 2.5-gal more. But being a 'saddle' tank, might not be enough space for that. Maybe somebody with knowledge can chime in :).

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The oil consumption is getting silly, im down 1/2 quart already and its only been 800 miles since my last change. Either Pennzoil is twice as bad at evaporating as the oem fill or this motor is a lemon, lol. I mean maybe it will magically stop after 4,000 miles but I'm kinda skeptical at this point. It's only really burning it at high RPM so maybe its time to throw a catch can on there.

So yeah, I hate that.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm right at 900 miles now, and no oil consumption that I can tell. But I'm breaking the engine in properly :D. Not babying it, but not revving it past 4,500 rpm either. At any rate, even if it's consuming oil, most engines stop at some point before the 10K-mile mark. Seems like you're driving it hard, so maybe a catch-can would help; only one way to find out. Ha ha. Since mine doesn't consume oil, won't even bother with one myself. At least not yet :).

By the way, my car had a defective PCV valve when I first test-drove the car with 66 miles on the clock, which I could tell by the noise it was making at idle (had the exact same problem with my truck, and they use the same valve). Replaced it myself, and no oil consumption, so happy about that. Bought a spare, just in case. Noticed the new valves are different, so Ford obviously redesigned them. And my car was an Aug-19 build, so maybe you should change yours, just in case. They're less than 10 bucks, so a cheap maintenance item IMO. Good luck.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm right at 900 miles now, and no oil consumption that I can tell. But I'm breaking the engine in properly :D. Not babying it, but not revving it past 4,500 rpm either. At any rate, even if it's consuming oil, most engines stop at some point before the 10K-mile mark. Seems like you're driving it hard, so maybe a catch-can would help; only one way to find out. Ha ha. Since mine doesn't consume oil, won't even bother with one myself. At least not yet :).

By the way, my car had a defective PCV valve when I first test-drove the car with 66 miles on the clock, which I could tell by the noise it was making at idle (had the exact same problem with my truck, and they use the same valve). Replaced it myself, and no oil consumption, so happy about that. Bought a spare, just in case. Noticed the new valves are different, so Ford obviously redesigned them. And my car was an Aug-19 build, so maybe you should change yours, just in case. They're less than 10 bucks, so a cheap maintenance item IMO. Good luck.
My car was just like yours and I did the same thing, I had 0 oil consumption until 1500 miles or so. Its not until I give it the beans that it consumes any, I know this because I can smell it, haha. I'll try swapping the PCV when I install the catch can, thanks for that tip.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Tell you 1 thing I will never do again is put exhaust parts in my trunk... scratched my sub and my back plastic piece. I can replace the sub for like $200... and the rear interior trunk plastic. I was being careful too but it’s whatever... doubt i will replace them... unless it still annoys me after a couple months or a year or 2 then I might...
Should’ve shipped the exhaust straight to the shop.

scober

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Mustangs
Here are the differences between the base stereo and the 301A version for what it's worth.

Base stereo:
4" display
6 speakers total
No center channel speaker
No midrange speakers
Amp is integrated with the head unit

301A stereo:
8" touch screen
9 speakers total
Includes center channel speaker
Includes midrange door speakers
Amp is larger and external to the head unit
+ Head unit can be programmed for variable line-level 2.7V out for custom audio installs.

301A stereo is marginally better than the base model system but the 8" touchscreen alone is worth the upgrade. It's a very capable head unit if you choose to replace the factory amplifier and speakers. The speakers are absolutely pathetic and the center channel actually makes the stereo system sound worse. Many including myself have disconnected it altogether.
Much appreciated!

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Tell you 1 thing I will never do again is put exhaust parts in my trunk... scratched my sub and my back plastic piece. I can replace the sub for like $200... and the rear interior trunk plastic. I was being careful too but it’s whatever... doubt i will replace them... unless it still annoys me after a couple months or a year or 2 then I might...
Should’ve shipped the exhaust straight to the shop.
Exactly why I bought several old moving pads from uhaul a while back. They stay folded up in the garage on a shelf till I need them.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cabin air filter? HA, it could be worse....

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I just found something that I can actually complain about. Why the hell is the cabin air filter where it is? Why do you need to unscrew a torx screw to get to it?

Changing the filter in the Charger:
1. Open hood
2. Lift filter cover
3. Remove old filter and drop in replacement

Changing the filter in the Mustang:
1. Clear out glovebox
2. Partially disassemble glovebox
3. Awkwardly get your hands into the dash, and unscrew a tiny torx screw (don't drop it!)
4. Pull the old dirty filter through half of the interior of the dash
5. Partially crush the new filter to wrestle it in place
6. Refit the cover and screw in the torx screw (that you didn't drop in Step 3.)
Why I let my servicing dealer dealer do it. Only charges $25.00 labor. Well worth it IMHO

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap. Dealers in NYC charge $110 per hour.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Guess I'm not going to complain about this car then. Ha ha. That Mazda is just ridiculous. Hey gang, what are you using as replacement? The stock unit, or using a charcoal coated one? If it fits like factory, please post a link :). It's very important that both that air filter and the engine one fit perfectly. Thx.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
The oil consumption is getting silly, im down 1/2 quart already and its only been 800 miles since my last change. Either Pennzoil is twice as bad at evaporating as the oem fill or this motor is a lemon, lol. I mean maybe it will magically stop after 4,000 miles but I'm kinda skeptical at this point. It's only really burning it at high RPM so maybe its time to throw a catch can on there.

So yeah, I hate that.
Oil check before the next start-up... thanks for the reminder...
Sponsored