Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

So I’m looking for some help. I unfortunately learned my lesson when a seller says it fits coupe and convertible that when it comes to the convertible part, it might not be a perfect fit.

If you look at the photos, from far it looks awesome but it’s not. In the side view you can see the gap that is concerning me. Being a convertible joy ride, for the most part I don’t drive it in the rain but we all know how weather can change and well I’ll have to wash it sooner or later right.Lol

I did not fill in the oem holes so I really need a fix for this.

Hope someone can help
Thanks
94BE2B3E-BFA8-42FE-9CAE-8E44EF5B4603.jpeg
5F83BBF7-759A-4E25-9F01-8CF9CC2BA321.jpeg
Sponsored

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I would remove the spoiler and strip all the tape off. Then apply new double sided tape all around the base of the spoiler. 3M makes their tape in all different widths. It couldnt hurt to put some double sided tape over the OEM holes. When i did my wicker bill, i had a few extra holes, since i have a cali special. I just laid 3M tape over the holes from underneath (inside the truck lid). I never had any issues with water getting into the trunk. My car lives outside, no garage and never had a wet trunk. Good luck and hope this helps.

OP
OP
Lightning

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is a great idea, I could do the inside 3m from underneath to block the holes.
does 3m make a thicker tape so I can close of the sides( I should google that ) and if they do how do I slide the tape under the spoiler without taking the spoiler off, I’m trying to stay away from that route of starting over.
BTW, there is 3m all around but it’s the curvature of the trunk that is making the 3m tape not seal.

thanks for your input S550_GTCS, it’s much appreciated.

assclown

Warchief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Vert
Without taking the spoiler off will be very hard next to impossible to fill the gap with 3m tape.

Alternate is to apply black silicone from a squeeze tube along the sides and push it in with your finger. Definitely mask off 1/8 of an in on each side not to mess up your paint.

You want to seal the sides and the part of the spoiler facing the front of the car to prevent water issues.

Also sealing from inside (silicone or tape) is a wise idea.

OP
OP
Lightning

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Without taking the spoiler off will be very hard next to impossible to fill the gap with 3m tape.

Alternate is to apply black silicone from a squeeze tube along the sides and push it in with your finger. Definitely mask off 1/8 of an in on each side not to mess up your paint.

You want to seal the sides and the part of the spoiler facing the front of the car to prevent water issues.

Also sealing from inside (silicone or tape) is a wise idea.
Thanks assclown

You are correct with the ability to apply 3m would be a task in it self.
My question is, is silicone ok for the paint? I had thought about silicon but was not sure if it would harm the paint?

Sponsored

assclown

Warchief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Vert
I've used the pictured silicone on a few spots so far no issues, and says it's safe for metal/glass/rubber. Again you'll only apply a very thin bead on the sides and push it in with your finger.
download.png

I see you're in Canada as well; this is available at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto.

OP
OP
Lightning

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've used the pictured silicone on a few spots so far no issues, and says it's safe for metal/glass/rubber. Again you'll only apply a very thin bead on the sides and push it in with your finger.
download.png

I see you're in Canada as well; this is available at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto.
Funny you mentioned this cause I just used it after the spoiler install on the cover for the latch on the trunk that would not stay put for some reason.
when I get home I’ll take a look at that.

thanks again

OP
OP
Lightning

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys
So just an update.
I finally had a chance to speak with my body guy and this is what he said.
And just to warn others about Permatex.

Permatex will eat paint if left in the sunshine for too long to heat up, 3M is perfect for customs cars or detailed finishes the downside being the color may not match the same black

So he recommended the 3M sealant as a fix, but said he would put down a little double sided tape first then the sealant on top if you plan on taking off the spoiler in the future, if not apply directly to the paint.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
I would remove the spoiler and strip all the tape off. Then apply new double sided tape all around the base of the spoiler. 3M makes their tape in all different widths. It couldnt hurt to put some double sided tape over the OEM holes. When i did my wicker bill, i had a few extra holes, since i have a cali special. I just laid 3M tape over the holes from underneath (inside the truck lid). I never had any issues with water getting into the trunk. My car lives outside, no garage and never had a wet trunk. Good luck and hope this helps.
What spoiler did you put on your car and did it cover the holes left by the CS spoiler?

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Thanks assclown

You are correct with the ability to apply 3m would be a task in it self.
My question is, is silicone ok for the paint? I had thought about silicon but was not sure if it would harm the paint?
Ok, I had to do a double take on this.

I read the "Thanks assclown" and about coughed up a lung. had to scroll up and check the username.
Sponsored