Knocking after installing Lowering springs

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
hey guys thought i'd write to see if anyone's had any similar experiences,i've installed loweing springs but the fronts seem to be making a knocking sound when i go over bumps. I'm going to pull the struts out again as i think i may have installed the springs incorrectly but is there anything else i should look at? oh i also installed BMR sway bars and BMR cradle lock out kit at the same time too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Bump stops?
i cut them as recommended to they shouldn't be? i'm going to pull it apart again at the weekend to see what i can find i'm sure there will be evidence of what's wrong under there

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
sure the springs are rested in the cradle and against the spring stops properly and not twisted? did you redo the preloads on all the suspension components after lowering ?

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Can you identify a specific corner or just general front end? Is it a big clunk over speed bumps or is it more of a rattle over imperfections?
If you can identify the corner check your calliper bolts on that side as a matter of urgency. Did you use new bolts with the blue locktight or did you reuse the stock bolts?
If hard to identify the corner check the anti roll bar mounting bolts are tight.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Can you identify a specific corner or just general front end? Is it a big clunk over speed bumps or is it more of a rattle over imperfections?
If you can identify the corner check your calliper bolts on that side as a matter of urgency. Did you use new bolts with the blue locktight or did you reuse the stock bolts?
If hard to identify the corner check the anti roll bar mounting bolts are tight.
I did use blue loctight on them, I figured it out, the springs weren't seated properly, and the end link nuts werent fully torqued up :facepalm: must have missed them, the klunk has stopped but with all that fixed I've now got a creaking noise from the front it's not side specific so I think I haven't greased up the bushings enough lol one thing after another. :crazy:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
that could well be the sway bar end links or the tie bar bush/ball join thingie when you lower it you change the angle on them so they bind thats why you can buy adjustable end links and steeda (i think don't hold me to that) do a set of tie bars that use spherical instead of rubber bushing.

tbh go hit a speed bump pretty hard it'll jsut bend the end links as the factory ones are pretty weak and you'll "self shorten" if you like :)

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
that could well be the sway bar end links or the tie bar bush/ball join thingie when you lower it you change the angle on them so they bind thats why you can buy adjustable end links and steeda (i think don't hold me to that) do a set of tie bars that use spherical instead of rubber bushing.

tbh go hit a speed bump pretty hard it'll jsut bend the end links as the factory ones are pretty weak and you'll "self shorten" if you like :)
haha yeah i've greased up the bushings now on the sway bar and the creaking has stopped but still a few other bits, yeah i've been told it could be down to the changed geometry

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yeah that'll be the binding i was on about you want adjustable sway bar end links front and rear if you've lowered it more than i think its about an inch.

these things are screwed with lowering too https://www.steeda.co.uk/collection...ntrol-arm-lateral-links-w-extended-ball-joint so the replacements have ball joints on them to stop them binding.

sort the pre-loads out that may reduce any binding for now but long term solution is start changing bits out :)

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
lowering springs have a small area where there is foam/rubber padding applied where the springs tightens up in its coil. the knocking is usually the metal on metal contact from the coil hitting. its possible that is the reason behind your slight knocks when you maybe take a bump a little hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
yeah that'll be the binding i was on about you want adjustable sway bar end links front and rear if you've lowered it more than i think its about an inch.

these things are screwed with lowering too https://www.steeda.co.uk/collection...ntrol-arm-lateral-links-w-extended-ball-joint so the replacements have ball joints on them to stop them binding.

sort the pre-loads out that may reduce any binding for now but long term solution is start changing bits out :)
Yeah a mate of mine at work is into cars and he's said the same thing try loosening bits under pre load and doing then back up

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yep it probably won't fix it fully but may help it a little bit

OP
OP
Chappers

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
lowering springs have a small area where there is foam/rubber padding applied where the springs tightens up in its coil. the knocking is usually the metal on metal contact from the coil hitting. its possible that is the reason behind your slight knocks when you maybe take a bump a little hard.
Yeah it transpired that I hadn't seated the spring so it was doing that, just gotta sort the creaking out front n rear... They don't tell you how to solve that on the install videos haha
Sponsored