SCT X4 help

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I plugged in my SCT X4 to the laptop to get updates. SCT device updated said new software was available so downloaded it. Now my SCT X4 won't connect to my vehicle. It says it is married to my VIN. I am getting general error 11046 & 11047. I've been trying to call SCT tech support for hours. Anyone get this error/happen to them? I don't know how to fix this. HELP!
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
This is why I quit using SCT on the S550 platform. After updating mine, I had to flash the car back to stock to unmarry it. I blew out the tunes (I always have them backed up on my hard drive and a USB stick) on the SCT X4 and then reloaded them. The car then took the load after what seemed like 30 minutes. I highly suggest putting a teather or battery charger on the car before doing all of this. A sag in voltage can cause problems. If the voltage drops below 11.0vdc (I believe) the load will interrupt and fail.

ngauge is just way too much simpler, cleaner, and faster on the S550. I've been using SCT since they first introduced the Excalibrator (no LED display) handheld that was designed only for loading tunes. It took coming to the S550 to convert me. When I find a 13/14 GT500 to trade this european clone of a mustang in on I'll likely stay with the Ngauge. The one from Lund is specific to them. The standard unit (looks the same) can be used by PBD, VMP, or any other tuner that chooses to use them.

Good luck

PS - In the future if the device is working ignore the updates. I did that on my SCT X3 on my 13 and 14. As long as there is no conflict in the tune loading onto the device you are golden. updates can cause more problems than they are worth. That said sometimes the device forces an update as likely may be your situation and was mine.

OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
it forced the update on me. I've always had issues with updates since purchasing in 2016. UGGG

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I spent 4 hours loading an update (tuning with PBD at the time - not their fault) due to SCT required updates. Some months later i chose to try a Lund tune and was told to go with the Ngauge (PBD has their version as well I understand) and the chore became an absolute privilege in comparison. Some have had some luck with the device. Like you I did not. I love the flexibility of being able to make my own data log config files through my laptop with SCT. Ngauge is rather limiting but their datalogging process is also much less testing when you are trying to collect data at a track. With the Ngauge, simply select datalog and touch the face when you are ready to start. It's SO simple I have forgotten to datalog at times. I still use livelink Ii to review the Ngauge data however. Livelink will plot ANY .CSV file created by a data collecting device that creates logs in this EXCEL format.

OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I may switch to ngauge once get this sorted out. Never got ahold of them after 27 phone calls.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was 1st in line calling tech support when they opened at 1030 this morning. Had to download TeamViewer from their site, he remoted into laptop & manually updated firmware. The X4 was missing some firmware files from incomplete update. Can relax now, lol!

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Glad they were able to help you. Make sure you disable team viewer or better yet remove it altogether if you have not already. I use a dedicated laptop for my car so its not as important to me should I have to ever jump through that hoop.

OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Glad they were able to help you. Make sure you disable team viewer or better yet remove it altogether if you have not already. I use a dedicated laptop for my car so its not as important to me should I have to ever jump through that hoop.
did right after, I do IT security as a career. Great Advice for others to see. I am contemplating the ngauge still. mount it in a/c vent. Looks really cool.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
did right after, I do IT security as a career. Great Advice for others to see. I am contemplating the ngauge still. mount it in a/c vent. Looks really cool.
I get prompted for updates all the time on the BDX but have always just ignored for this reason. Sucks the x4 forced it.

Teamviewer can come in handy. I use it for non corp deployed assets where we don't have other RMM options in place or for one offs as need (family etc). If you want to keep it for later use just remove from startup and and block app in FW til ready for use again. A couple clicks to allow again is faster than having to reinstall.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I may mount mine in a pillar mount. I tried a few other options but they just didn't work like i wanted. Autometer makes one that looks decent from some writings have read by a Shelby GT350 owner. If it satisfies those guys, it has to look nice. I'd likely mount it there with my vac/boost gauge that is currently center ac duct mounted on the dash.

The only draw back is that if you use it as much as I do, swiping it from screen to screen can wear on the face around the display. I mainly use it currently to know what gear the auto is in, and to keep an eye on knock, STFT's, and IAT temps. The gauges function works nicely.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The X4 DOES NOT force updates. You must have had an option checked to always keep up to date. Never, never, never update! Newer versions of firmware are bad news for tuners ever since their parent company got in trouble for cheating emissions. A lot of us will forever be stuck on an old update. Glad the X4 doesn't run Windows 10. :giggle::crazy:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The X4 DOES NOT force updates. You must have had an option checked to always keep up to date. Never, never, never update! Newer versions of firmware are bad news for tuners ever since their parent company got in trouble for cheating emissions. A lot of us will forever be stuck on an old update. Glad the X4 doesn't run Windows 10. :giggle::crazy:
My X3 never forced me to update...and I never did. I would get prompts that an update was available but if I ignored it as always was the case there was never any issues.

I follow the theory - If it ain't broke...don't fix it. The X4 however forced me to update during a tuning revision process with I tried to place the revision on the device Nothing had changed in the settings in the upload software. I NEVER allow auto updates on ANYTHING. I always ignore recommended updates.

Yet in the case of the X4 (on an S550 platform and BEFORE the industry got their pee pee's stepped on by the ever over reaching EPA) it not only forced me to do a software update to load the tune onto the device, it also ended up forcing me to do a firmware revision before it would then try to load onto the car. (Car battery had a battery charger attached during the whole ordeal). This was no update recommendation prompt with an opt out. That in turn forced me at some point in the (normally very simple process) to have to reflash the car to stock (FI setup) after reloading the desired tune revision onto the device again and then proceed with tune the load to the car again. Why I cannot tell you. I'm not an engineer. But it happened. It DOES happen. It may be -- and I never checked -- that the hand held device settings an option for selecting auto update on the X4 but I never looked adn I know my upload software did not. That would be the only other reason why the OP and I both had a similar experience different from yours.

Either way, the Ngauge has no issues like this whatsoever. It doesn't even require loading software. Just copy the revision tune onto the micro SD card and load. It's as simple as that. You have the option of using a USB cable to interface with a PC and copy the file over but again, its a simple copy/paste process.I'll never go back to an SCT device again. If the tuner will not offer an ngauge style device such as one of the preferred tuners out west, I won't deal with them. Thankfully PBD, VMP, and Lund all offer some variation of it.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
gameovergt

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The SCT tech told me its recommended that the firmware be updated every 6 months on the X4. I don't/didn't see anything that says to automatically update. I just know if I don't use it for months then there are thousands of updates that is needed.

Reactions: Ebm

PatriotTJ3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2006 F-250 6.0L Super Duty
I just purchased a truck with SCT X4 tuner and have never owned one before I would like to change the tune. They currently have it set on tow mode. No directions came with it. I plugged it in to computer and it said it needed updates. I hit update not realizing that you need to retune vehicle back to stock before updating SCT? I haven’t hooked SCT to truck and the updates failed. I don’t know what to do. Scared to hook it to vehicle and damage PCM? I emailed support. Any advice. Am I overly cautious? What should I expect?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I just purchased a truck with SCT X4 tuner and have never owned one before I would like to change the tune. They currently have it set on tow mode. No directions came with it. I plugged it in to computer and it said it needed updates. I hit update not realizing that you need to retune vehicle back to stock before updating SCT? I haven’t hooked SCT to truck and the updates failed. I don’t know what to do. Scared to hook it to vehicle and damage PCM? I emailed support. Any advice. Am I overly cautious? What should I expect?
The SCT device should store the stock tune on the device itself. When you hook the SCT device up to your computer, you can then transfer your stock tune file to your computer for safe keeping.

You are most likely just fine. Most of the problems on an SCT device happen while the device is flashing a tune to the car and the battery dies or it gets interrupted somehow.
Sponsored