Sponsored

Wheel Size Help and Suggestions

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
In that case, I would go 275/35 and 325/30 instead of putting a different brand tire on the rear. You want the tire compounds to match at all 4 corners, especially if you are considering tracking the car at some point. The 325 is within manufacturers recommendations on a 19x11 so it will be perfectly fine on that wheel, even for track use. BmacIL brings up a good point, although those nuances may not be easy felt by a beginner/casual track driver. The 275/325 combo has a 26.6/26.7 diameter so the look of the tire front to rear will be perfect.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
In that case, I would go 275/35 and 325/30 instead of putting a different brand tire on the rear. You want the tire compounds to match at all 4 corners, especially if you are considering tracking the car at some point. The 325 is within manufacturers recommendations on a 19x11 so it will be perfectly fine on that wheel, even for track use. BmacIL brings up a good point, although those nuances may not be easy felt by a beginner/casual track driver. The 275/325 combo has a 26.6/26.7 diameter so the look of the tire front to rear will be perfect.
Sorry I should have clarified. I would just get a differ brand for front and rear. I really wanted to try the Indy 500’s but I might be able to look into another tire brand. Maybe not 4S.

Regarding the sloppier handling and the breakaway being less gradual I’m not sure I fully understand how that might translate until I drive it. Is that something I’ll see in day to day driving or are we talking about specifically on the track?

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Gotcha then yeah moving to a different brand with more ideal fitments would be best. The breakaway trait usually won't be noticed during daily driving (unless someone is an overly aggressive driver)... that is a characteristics when the tire is approaching to or reached it's limit. The rear sloopyness may be a bit noticeable on a hard turn... you would feel a some delayed response/numbness as the tire loads during the turn and the sidewall flexes (since it isn't taut on the wheel).

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha then yeah moving to a different brand with more ideal fitments would be best. Those traits usually won't be noticed during daily driving (unless someone is an overly aggressive driver)... those are characteristics when the tire is approaching to or reached it's limit.
I’ll have to check some pricing. Worst case scenario I run the 325 since the vast majority of my driving is city/highway and then I’ll save for a replacement set that’s more appropriate for when I wear them out.

Having never been on the track before and not having any real mods to support it that may be future investment that better tires may be apart of. As long as I can get through one or two track days this season with no issues then I’m not too concerned. Mostly worried about my safety and the safety of others on the track.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I’ll have to check some pricing. Worst case scenario I run the 325 since the vast majority of my driving is city/highway and then I’ll save for a replacement set that’s more appropriate for when I wear them out.

Having never been on the track before and not having any real mods to support it that may be future investment that better tires may be apart of. As long as I can get through one or two track days this season with no issues then I’m not too concerned. Mostly worried about my safety and the safety of others on the track.
Honestly it's a better investment to choose a different tires for those needs IMO. The Indys don't have very stiff sidewalls to begin with. And having to go to a 325 in the Indy doesn't seem the best logical thing. Get a tire with a better fitment.

275 or 285 front and 305 rear MP4S is a better choice to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Honestly it's a better investment to choose a different tires for those needs IMO. The Indys don't have very stiff sidewalls to begin with. And having to go to a 325 in the Indy doesn't seem the best logical thing. Get a tire with a better fitment.

275 or 285 front and 305 rear MP4S is a better choice to me.
Thanks for the advice. Any other brands to consider beyond Michelin?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks for the advice. Any other brands to consider beyond Michelin?
IMO you want something like a dual purpose tire. Bridgestone S007a is an option. Also, the grippier Hankook RS4 would be an excellent track tire that you could probably get away with on the street. Both tires should be pretty durable. Both would be faster and better on track than the Indy.

Edit: let me rephrase. Both would pretty durable on track. The Hankook is 200TW so expect quicker wear for street driving. The Bridgestone is in the same ballpark as Indy/MP4S in terms of street wear.

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
IMO you want something like a dual purpose tire. Bridgestone S007a is an option. Also, the grippier Hankook RS4 would be an excellent track tire that you could probably get away with on the street. Both tires should be pretty durable. Both would be faster and better on track than the Indy.

Edit: let me rephrase. Both would pretty durable on track. The Hankook is 200TW so expect quicker wear for street driving. The Bridgestone is in the same ballpark as Indy/MP4S in terms of street wear.
Thank you. Is the S007 an older tire? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. Is the S007 an older tire? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
It's a pretty new tire, positioned to be between the RE71R and S-04 in terms of grip, durability and overall comfort/noise.

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
Also, is this going to be an issue running 305/30 on the rear?

Tire Calculator.PNG

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I would recommend 285/35 and 305/35 for that wheel setup... keeps the diameters closer to stock. 275/40 front and 305/30 rear is going to noticeably look off.

The speedo calibration being off isn't too big a deal, doesn't affect anything mechanically.

OP
OP
ChaoticFury09

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
It appears the 4S isn't available in 305/35. I guess the search continues.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It appears the 4S isn't available in 305/35. I guess the search continues.
It might take you some time, but I think you'll thank yourself later for getting the right tire and most ideal size you can. The handling and performance you will enjoy.
Sponsored