Official Resonator Delete Thread

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Has anyone installed the cat back system from Magna Flow on their GT-350 from CJ Pony Parts ?
Sponsored

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
I just installed my resonator delete X-pipe from Lethal Performance yesterday and while product is a quality piece, And I generally like the increased volume of the car, I’m not thrilled with one part of it. I notice that at around 1200 and 1750 RPMs and then again near 3k I feel and hear quite a bit more vibration/resonance. Now I get it, I removed the resonators so what else do I expect. And this engine produces quite a bit of vibration anyway. But I find that it manifests itself in increased bass in the cabin. I wouldn’t call it drone necessarily, but I’m wondering if I should have gone with the Corsa double Helix to eliminate this extra bass/resonance vibration, while still getting an increase in volume out the back.

It is definitely not that anything is loose. It’s not a metal on metal vibration or rattling. It’s just a fairly noticeable and intrusive bass addition that you can feel in the floor, the wheel, etc as the engine goes up and down through the RPM range. Everyone talks about how it’ll sound like the 350R but I can’t imagine the R has this kind of annoying bass at random RPM ranges from the factory. Could it have anything to do with piping size etc from Lethal vs what the stock pipes are? Just trying to figure out if I should remove this thing and get the Corsa if that’ll make it any better or if this is something I’ll now how to live with unless I put the old section back on.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I dont need to do it...:sunglasses:

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I just installed my resonator delete X-pipe from Lethal Performance yesterday and while product is a quality piece, And I generally like the increased volume of the car, I’m not thrilled with one part of it. I notice that at around 1200 and 1750 RPMs and then again near 3k I feel and hear quite a bit more vibration/resonance. Now I get it, I removed the resonators so what else do I expect. And this engine produces quite a bit of vibration anyway. But I find that it manifests itself in increased bass in the cabin. I wouldn’t call it drone necessarily, but I’m wondering if I should have gone with the Corsa double Helix to eliminate this extra bass/resonance vibration, while still getting an increase in volume out the back.

It is definitely not that anything is loose. It’s not a metal on metal vibration or rattling. It’s just a fairly noticeable and intrusive bass addition that you can feel in the floor, the wheel, etc as the engine goes up and down through the RPM range. Everyone talks about how it’ll sound like the 350R but I can’t imagine the R has this kind of annoying bass at random RPM ranges from the factory. Could it have anything to do with piping size etc from Lethal vs what the stock pipes are? Just trying to figure out if I should remove this thing and get the Corsa if that’ll make it any better or if this is something I’ll now how to live with unless I put the old section back on.
@knighthawk I hear you. I had the same experience. Although I didnt like what the Corsa did for the sound or throttle response either. I have heard almost every X pipe on the market now and I can say that I only like 3 sounds. Stock GT350R (2.75" pipe), MBRP, and regular GT350 with resonators... all others change the FPC GT350 sound and it becomes user preference.

Full details:
I have personally done 4 setups for resonator delete. Each X-pipe sounds different. Hear them in person if you can. YouTube and microphones DO NOT do it justice.

- I tired 2.5” straight pipe welded in to stock X. It was loud (50% louder than stock). Loudest I’ve heard besides long tube headers and very raspy. It did have some harmonic issues at 3500 rpm with a "flapping pie tin" resonance at 3500rpm. On the stock X, 2.5” straight pipe is very loud and raspy.
Some shops advertise for $50, but most are not using stainless and it will rust out. Pairing stainless OEM pipe to non-stainless will cause dissimilar metal atrophy, especially at the welds.

- Corsa double x is pretty quiet and deep. Civilized and tames some of the FPC rowdy tone. Lots of burbles.
Corsa double x was maybe 20% louder than stock and not excessively raspy. A nice compromise. However, I did experience a reduction throttle response with the Corsa. I hated that and thought that it ruined the heel toe of the FPC engine. The 3” corsa double helix X-pipe was only slightly louder than with resonators on the outside, but quieter inside the cabin.

- MBRP was as deep as with resonators, but more loud and some rasp. Closest to Stock resonator sound with nice deep increase in volume and tone. A great option for anyone who like the sound of the stock GT350 and just wants some crackles and raw tone.

- GT350R setup: I swapped to 2.75” pipe and it is slightly less loud than the 2.5" straight pipe, but still 30% louder than with stock resonators. It fixed the resonance issues I was getting at some RPMs. I think the R sounded better due to larger pipe (over the 2.5" used on the base GT350) since it tones down the resonance but still has increased volume. Nice burbles and cracks on and off throttle.

I found the R size (2.75") on the stock X pipe to sound the best. The problem I had with the Corsa was it slowed throttle response and had less cabin noise than the R style. I think it related to the large size of the X and 3" pipes on the Cora that reduced exhaust velocity.

I think the sound depends on the resonator delete that you choose. Some are loud and raspy, some are deep, some are less loud. Each different X aftermarket pipe will change the FPC GT350 sound and it becomes user preference.

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
@knighthawk I hear you. I had the same experience. Although I didnt like what the Corsa did for the sound or throttle response either. I have heard almost every X pipe on the market now and I can say that I only like 3 sounds. Stock GT350R (2.75" pipe), MBRP, and regular GT350 with resonators... all others change the FPC GT350 sound and it becomes user preference.

Full details:
I have personally done 4 setups for resonator delete. Each X-pipe sounds different. Hear them in person if you can. YouTube and microphones DO NOT do it justice.

- I tired 2.5” straight pipe welded in to stock X. It was loud (50% louder than stock). Loudest I’ve heard besides long tube headers and very raspy. It did have some harmonic issues at 3500 rpm with a "flapping pie tin" resonance at 3500rpm. On the stock X, 2.5” straight pipe is very loud and raspy.
Some shops advertise for $50, but most are not using stainless and it will rust out. Pairing stainless OEM pipe to non-stainless will cause dissimilar metal atrophy, especially at the welds.

- Corsa double x is pretty quiet and deep. Civilized and tames some of the FPC rowdy tone. Lots of burbles.
Corsa double x was maybe 20% louder than stock and not excessively raspy. A nice compromise. However, I did experience a reduction throttle response with the Corsa. I hated that and thought that it ruined the heel toe of the FPC engine. The 3” corsa double helix X-pipe was only slightly louder than with resonators on the outside, but quieter inside the cabin.

- MBRP was as deep as with resonators, but more loud and some rasp. Closest to Stock resonator sound with nice deep increase in volume and tone. A great option for anyone who like the sound of the stock GT350 and just wants some crackles and raw tone.

- GT350R setup: I swapped to 2.75” pipe and it is slightly less loud than the 2.5" straight pipe, but still 30% louder than with stock resonators. It fixed the resonance issues I was getting at some RPMs. I think the R sounded better due to larger pipe (over the 2.5" used on the base GT350) since it tones down the resonance but still has increased volume. Nice burbles and cracks on and off throttle.

I found the R size (2.75") on the stock X pipe to sound the best. The problem I had with the Corsa was it slowed throttle response and had less cabin noise than the R style. I think it related to the large size of the X and 3" pipes on the Cora that reduced exhaust velocity.

I think the sound depends on the resonator delete that you choose. Some are loud and raspy, some are deep, some are less loud. Each different X aftermarket pipe will change the FPC GT350 sound and it becomes user preference.
Thanks so much for your response. It is a huge help in trying to decide. I love the sound overall but I really want to get rid of the excessive cabin bass.

Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Thanks so much for your response. It is a huge help in trying to decide. I love the sound overall but I really want to get rid of the excessive cabin bass.
After much research, I installed the Corsa Double Helix on my 2018. It costs more than the other choices, but it sounds awesome in Sport mode and about the same when driving around in normal mode. I do not hear the rasp at different rpms or vibrations others have reported with different resonator delete options. I have not noticed the loss of throttle response mentioned earlier. I would definitely do it again.

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
After much research, I installed the Corsa Double Helix on my 2018. It costs more than the other choices, but it sounds awesome in Sport mode and about the same when driving around in normal mode. I do not hear the rasp at different rpms or vibrations others have reported with different resonator delete options. I have not noticed the loss of throttle response mentioned earlier. I would definitely do it again.

Thanks! Now I’m wishing I had just spent the money the first time and gone with the Corsa instead of now thinking about buying and going trying to sell the other one if and when I make the switch.

412vudu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
I just installed my resonator delete X-pipe from Lethal Performance yesterday and while product is a quality piece, And I generally like the increased volume of the car, I’m not thrilled with one part of it. I notice that at around 1200 and 1750 RPMs and then again near 3k I feel and hear quite a bit more vibration/resonance. [...]
I just had my lethal x installed yesterday and truth be told I can't stop smiling. There's definitely a noticeable difference in cabin bass and I do agree about the resonance around 3k rpm. I haven't really noticed any increased vibration though. The car in general sounds like an absolute animal now and I couldn't be happier. The partial throttle trick on rundown produces some gunshots now too.

No youtube video does the sound any justice. I haven't heard any other res deletes in person but I can say I'm definitely satisfied with the lethal piece.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Full details:

I think anyone with a Corsa X-pipe will respectfully disagree with you. The stock R exhaust sounds more like a tin can sound rather than the Corsa which perserves the FPC sound and takes out the rasp at 3000-4000 rpms. Have not noticed a decrease in throttle response I would think one of the most well known exhaust companies with one of the nicest products knows how to make an X pipe that doesn't decrease throttle response. It's all personal preference but I have a friend with an R who agrees the Corsa sounds better. With that said, I still think MBRP makes a good quality product. I would never weld in straight pipes in place of the resonators.

Sponsored

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Put the Corsa Double Helix X-Pipe on today and I'm beyond thrilled with it. I should have gone this way from the start. Anyone want to buy a Lethal Performance Res Delete X-Pipe from me? lol.

The lethal piece was a quality piece, but there was just too much bass for my taste inside the cabin. The sound was great but it just wasn't what I was looking for. Nothing but good things to say about the quality of the item, just not what I was looking for.

Driveway Demons

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I figured this may help some decide. I installed the corsa X yesterday. Its less bassy then the stock x with resonators, 25% louder and more pops and crackles! Its actually just as quiet as stock in the cabin ZERO drone or vibrations. Which is what corsa is known for. Video is below! Subscribe if you want to follow the build and videos.

Driveway Demons

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
I figured this may help some decide. I installed the corsa X yesterday. Its less bassy then the stock x with resonators, 25% louder and more pops and crackles! Its actually just as quiet as stock in the cabin ZERO drone or vibrations. Which is what corsa is known for. Video is below! Subscribe if you want to follow the build and videos.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the Corsa exhaust option. My 2018 sounds the same and I smile just as much as you when I am driving.... :sunglasses:

I am not sure how much of a difference it makes in performance, but I use Sport Mode instead of changing the exhaust note from the console when I want to crank up the volume.
Sponsored